Walmart in The Villages...petition to support legalization of marijuana

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2023, 11:09 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Charlie, did you ever meet Chatbrat who used to post on here?
Nominated for Best Post of the Day.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:14 AM

You feel it should be illegal based on one set of "observations" over a period of time, of people that you likely had little knowledge of their intellectual and social/emotional backgrounds. Hardly a scientific method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VApeople View Post
In 1969 I was a grad student at Univ. of Florida and I hung out with some people who often smoked marijuana. They were very nice low-key people and didn't seem to mind that I just passed the 'joint' from one person to another without taking a puff myself. One night I left our apartment to go for a dip in the pool, and when I came back, they were all sound asleep.

Over time, I definitely noticed a change in their behavior. They didn't seem as sharp mentally as they were before, and I suspect it was due to the long-term effects of marijuana. Based on what I observed, I think marijuana use should be illegal.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
In 1969 I was a grad student at Univ. of Florida and I hung out with some people who often smoked marijuana. They were very nice low-key people and didn't seem to mind that I just passed the 'joint' from one person to another without taking a puff myself. One night I left our apartment to go for a dip in the pool, and when I came back, they were all sound asleep.

Over time, I definitely noticed a change in their behavior. They didn't seem as sharp mentally as they were before, and I suspect it was due to the long-term effects of marijuana. Based on what I observed, I think marijuana use should be illegal.
This study should be published in The Journal.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:

thank you doctor for your wonderful observations ,I know it must have taken much time and hard work to study that large focus group that you assembled to come to this conclusion
Old 05-07-2023, 12:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Meaningless document that exposes your information for marketing
Old 05-07-2023, 12:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:

Back in the mid to late 1960s I noticed the same sort of changes in several people I knew who started and then continued to regularly smoke marijuana. Their ambition to succeed in life diminished. They ceased planning ahead and setting goals. Their cognitive abilities suffered. Their hygiene and personal appearance deteriorated as well. And the dope back then was very weak compared to what is smoked today.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 05-07-2023 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:45 PM
Sage

I think to many of you have watched that movie reefer madness to many times
Old 05-07-2023, 01:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Back in the mid to late 1960s I noticed the same sort of changes in several people I knew who started and then continued to regularly smoke marijuana. Their ambition to succeed in life diminished. They ceased planning ahead and setting goals. Their cognitive abilities suffered. Their hygiene and personal appearance deteriorated as well. And the dope back then was very weak compared to what is smoked today.
I think my fondness for weed is worked the others way , I’m always shopping for clothes and have to much Amani , Hugo Boss and new Nike gear in my closets , I also get pedicure and manicure and have my whole upper body waxed , maybe if I stop smoking weed I could get over this addiction and start looking like all the other villages guys in rumpled shorts , bad haircuts and worn down sneakers and they wonder why there back hurts
Old 05-07-2023, 02:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I have a friend who said she signed that petition at Walmart , she also said the woman who asked her was outside Walmart . I haven’t seen them at the squares but I’ll sign if I do see them .The laws on marijuana are so archaic and ruining peoples lives , some places in fl the cops will arrest you ,other places they’ll tell you to put it out and still others will ignore you completely , There are many states now including my home state of Massachusetts it’s legal and the sky hasn’t fallen . Marijuana is is a wonderful way to relax , have a little wine ,listen to some music , just feel better in a very pleasant way . It should be used in moderation just like alcohol, I started at 14 and still using at 84 ,I never smoked cigarettes , I had a very, stressful , dangerous life around the world and very successful at it so much so that I have a 6 figure pension ,I’m still an athlete at the gym and then biking ,walking and some running in the heat of the afternoon , I’m not saying this to brag but only to show that marijuana shouldn’t be demonized, it can be helpful not just to get high but especially for older people a better you and Miles and Coltrane always sound better with weed lol
///

Last edited by AJ32162; 05-07-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: ///
Old 05-07-2023, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Miles and Coltrane always sound better with weed lol
What works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone.
I very occasionally enjoy a shot of very old scotch. But smoke of any kind makes me ill. And my scotch enhances my enjoyment of the late Jeff Beck, and vice-versa.
Old 05-07-2023, 10:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
And the dope back then was very weak compared to what is smoked today.
I suspect that what you say is true. The marijuana smokers that I associated with did not have much money, and they probably got 'dime bags' that had been 'cut' with some harmless material like oregano.

Personally I have no real idea what they were smoking because, as I said in my original post, I was in grad school and could not risk losing a single brain cell.
Old 05-07-2023, 11:28 PM
Veteran member

There's currently perhaps a dozen places that sell Delta-8,9,10 vapes plus pre-rolled marijuana cigs in Wildwood, Oxford, Lady Lake, and Leesburg. These places are apparently legal at least at the state level from what I can tell. I'm not sure what the whole hoopla is here. I don't use it, but I don't have a problem with others that do, it should not be treated on the same level legally as hard drugs as it is at the federal level.

Last edited by MrChip72; 05-07-2023 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-08-2023, 04:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I think all drugs should be legalized and manufactured and sold by all Governments.
All profits put against National Debts.
Should clear all debt within a year or two.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:12 AM

I have been a substance abuse counselor for 30 years. I have seen the long and short effects of marijuana on young and old. Before anyone makes a decision on legalization you need to learn the facts and not from a person or organization that stands to profit. VA People makes an excellent point, but marijuana is far more pervasive and pernicious that just causing mental fog. There are many people and organizations out there preying on the stupidity of marijuana smokers and anyone who gives that much info to strangers on petitions is case in point.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:43 AM
Veteran member
Default Give us a break

Most of us who live here in The Villages are in the twilight of our years.
When you reach a certain age, you should be given a card that lets you do whatever you want.
Social Security and a joint.
Closed Thread

Tags
legalization, marijuana, address, phone, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.