Warning, credit card scam!!!

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 01:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I don't use a debit card...not as secure as a credit card

rather than signing my name on the back of the card I write 'ask for photo ID'....amazing how few times I actually get asked to show my photo ID
Old 10-14-2020, 03:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

As a precuation, I have completely blacked out the CW2 number on the back of my card, as without it, the card number alone is useless for online purchases.
(Yes. I do remember number.)
When making a purchase, I never let card out of sight.
No business should need to handle a card during a transaction these days anyway.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:13 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pila0431 View Post
I visited a local restaurant for lunch on Wednesday, last week and paid for it with my credit card. The waitress took my card, I assume to the back, and charged my card and returned it with the receipt to sign. There was nothing unusual about the transaction. Over the weekend I checked my charges and found two charges, one for $359.95 and another for $362.95 (both on line). I know it happened at the restaurant because I did not use the card again until Sunday, when it was declined, which prompted me to look at my balance and I saw the charges. We obviously are not saying the name of the restaurant, but we are calling the manager to alert them they have a thief on their wait staff and they should buy portable credit scanners so the staff can bring it to the table to be charged thru the card chip. Even though I know it was done there, because of the transaction date, and the sparse use of my card during that time, my warning would be to check your on-line balance daily. It's a good thing I do not put much money in the debit card account as they tried another charge but it was denied. A warning to the wise is hopefully enough.
The purchases on line can be traced to the purchaser. Before you accuse a restaurant worker, find out who did the charges. Your info could have been obtained weeks before the transaction was done on line.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 AM

Quote:
I visited a local restaurant for lunch on Wednesday, last week and paid for it with my credit card. The waitress took my card, I assume to the back, and charged my card and returned it with the receipt to sign. There was nothing unusual about the transaction. Over the weekend I checked my charges and found two charges, one for $359.95 and another for $362.95 (both on line). I know it happened at the restaurant because I did not use the card again until Sunday, when it was declined, which prompted me to look at my balance and I saw the charges. We obviously are not saying the name of the restaurant, but we are calling the manager to alert them they have a thief on their wait staff and they should buy portable credit scanners so the staff can bring it to the table to be charged thru the card chip. Even though I know it was done there, because of the transaction date, and the sparse use of my card during that time, my warning would be to check your on-line balance daily. It's a good thing I do not put much money in the debit card account as they tried another charge but it was denied. A warning to the wise is hopefully enough.
Never use your debit card. No protection. Hassle.
Use CC. Set up alerts when a transaction has been made. Mine is for when anyone has charged more than $1. Thief sometimes charges a small amount and then later hits you with the big one. Like another poster, I get the alert within 15 minutes of the charge. That way I don’t have to go into my account and check because I receive an email.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:11 AM

That’s why we use a card called Revolut it allows me to put a minimal amount on when I want to go out for dinner check it out it’s great I got it for international travel after being defrauded like you were in South Africa
Old 10-14-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

A few years ago B of A called me and asked if I had just purchased airline tickets in Dubai. There was a $1200 charge on my card. I told them no and they reversed the charge. Another time I was filling my gas tank in Chicago where I was visiting And B of A called me to see if I was in Chicago filling my gas tank. Great company.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 AM

A debit card is directly attached to your bank account, and don't have the protections of a credit card. I personally only use my debit card to draw cash at my bank.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
And what proof do you have of this vs. someone got your card number three weeks ago, or three months ago or three years ago and just used it now.
Exactly! Credit card numbers get stolen all the time then sold. The same thing can happen with your checking account. I work in a bank and see fraud all the time just like this. Just dispute the charge and get a new card. The bank will shut that number down so it can’t be used anymore.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
You should name the restaurant to protect the rest of us.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:54 AM

ANYPLACE where my card is out of my sight I pay cash. Including McDonald’s, gas stations!!! My daughter was hacked at a Wawa ATM and paid for an apparently large family in Mexico to go to the movies and my husband must’ve paid for their taxi ride there.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Sadly the police will not do anything. Same thing happened to me .
Old 10-14-2020, 07:08 AM

We do too. We use the cards as little as possible. The mailbox station makes it easy to get cash (as we bank at the local bank).
Old 10-14-2020, 07:34 AM

We had money stolen from a gift card that had never been used. My husband gave me a $500 gift card and the 1st time I tried to use it, there was only $17 available. We suspect that they used some kind of scanner and then when he authorized it for online purchases that set the ball rolling. The 1st charges started hitting within 5 minutes. We normally use a credit card for everything to get the points. It alerts him within seconds much to my dismay when I'm out shopping. Now I have a separate fun money account so it don't get the dreaded text. "What did you need at Walgreens that cost $50?". Lol
Old 10-14-2020, 07:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,141 Times in 883 Posts

I remember the first time a waiter took my card to the back to charge me. I couldn't believe this was a thing in Florida, totally agree with others to pay cash in restaurants.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
You should file police report and they can go to restaurant receipts can track the server
Closed Thread

Tags
card, charges, warning, restaurant, credit

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.