Warranty on home furnishings

Old 05-02-2024, 09:31 AM
Default Warranty on home furnishings

I bought my house ‘used’, but only 3 years old. I assumed the warranties for the appliances transfer to the new owner, but I’m not sure – I never received any information on that. For example, the refrigerator has a 10-year warranty (it says so right on the refrigerator), but how do I check if it transfers to a new owner?

Also, less obvious, are warranties on miscellaneous furnishings such as cordless blinds. Whenever I’ve purchased blinds in the past, they’ve come with a lifetime warranty. One of the blinds in my bedroom is no longer working, and I’m wondering how to check on the warranty given that I have no receipts or paperwork.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,269 Times in 2,291 Posts

In general I have not seen very many warranties that transfer to new owners (our new roof back up North was an exception). As for the refrigerator and blinds, call the manufacturer and ask them, if you are lucky they will say yes and ask for the make, model and serial number. Ceiling fans (Hunter) typically have a long warranty, most other stuff is a few months to a year.
If you are told the warranties do not transfer, for the blinds you can ask for the local retailer and see if they offer service and get an estimate for the repair. I would check batteries and see if you can download the owner's manual to see if they have any trouble shooting advice.
Old 05-02-2024, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,988 Times in 2,492 Posts

I highly doubt they are transferable. I’d read the fine print that’s gets them out of almost everything, and if they do pay most likely for cheap parts from China but not the labor…

Tags
warranty, blinds, check, refrigerator, owner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.