Warranty Questions

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Question Warranty Questions

Our year one warranty will expire in May and we need to have needed fixes completed by then.

We have identified a few minor cosmetic fixes that need doing but I remember a discussion of someone who provides the service of going through your home and identifying needed repairs before the warranty expires. The poster thought the service was useful since s/he, like the hubster and myself, had no idea about construction and what things might be fixed that could present a problem. The poster said the cost was reasonable.

My questions:
1. have you used this service?
2. was it worth the cost?
3. what was the cost?
4. what are these people called? I tried unsuccessfully to search the threads.
5. once you contact the warranty people, how quick do they respond?

Thanks for all your help. We are putting our house on the market in March and hope to be frogs very very soon.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Default Search

Do a search on this site and you will get a list of "Home Inspectors" that people use. If I remember, some even advertise here...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 PM

We had our home inspection done just a month before our new home warranty ended and it, without hesitation, the best $150 we spent.

Based on recommendations, we selected A&A Propert and Home Inspection Services. Their telephone number is 352-391-5800 or email wasbach@centurylink.net

The inspection is done by the owner, Walter Asbach, and he spent several hours inspecting everything in our home from the roof, attic, garage, structure inside and out, plumbing and more. After the inspection, he writes a written report, with pictures, and then in a day or two meets with you to review the report and once you are satisfied, he provides you a copy and then sends the electronic report directly to the warranty department. They then contact the various contractors to schedule the work.

Although there were some items I found to be reported, he found so many more, such as small settling cracks, paint defects, crack in the garage and music more. He also noticed, as I had, that our windows were difficult to open. He told us there was a known problem with some installations where the manufacturer installed the wrong size spring or tension mechanism, and he also included the window issue in his report. A couple of weeks later I received a call from the window company to schedule an appointment to replace the tension mechanism in our windows.

There are a number of home inspections and like most things, some are better than others. My neighbor used a company that was a waste of money. In my case, not only do I strongly recommend A&A, but I would select them should we ever by a pre-owned home in TV.

Good luck!

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 02-20-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post
Our year one warranty will expire in May and we need to have needed fixes completed by then.

We have identified a few minor cosmetic fixes that need doing but I remember a discussion of someone who provides the service of going through your home and identifying needed repairs before the warranty expires. The poster thought the service was useful since s/he, like the hubster and myself, had no idea about construction and what things might be fixed that could present a problem. The poster said the cost was reasonable.

My questions:
3. what was the cost?

Thanks for all your help. We are putting our house on the market in March and hope to be frogs very very soon.
We used a local inspector who did the inspection about 2 months prior to warranty expiration. The cost was approx. 200.00, he identified about 5-6 items that needed attention, all minor items, they dealt directly with The Villages Warranty Department and the items were repaired in a short time. The cost of repairs were minor, i.e. caulking, a minor crack inside on our stucco garage wall, paint ceiling touch up in our lanai. I think it is worth the money even if nothing is found to be defective. Better safe then sorry. I think the Company was A-1 Inspections.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Veteran member
Default one year warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raen Dear View Post

My questions:
3. what was the cost?

I know that it's kind of late for the OP but I would think that anything that is cosmetic that you detect should be advised to the Aarranty dept. ASAP. This way they don't blame you for the defect. I recall reading this advice in an earlier thread on the subject and I made a mental note.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Default Thanks

Thanks for your input. Peace of mind is priceless.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM

I, along with all my neighbors, also used A&A. Walter Asbach did a great job. He was here almost 4 hours, starts on top of house and covers all areas inside and out. As soon as he turns in your paperwork you will start receiving calls from the warranty dept to schedule the repair work.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Veteran member

We have used LABPRO Inspections, Lon Barnaby in the past and we are using him again before we close. His web site is Home. Always been happy with his expertise. Phone is 352-552-0610.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We had a home inspection done just before our warranty expired and it was well worth the cost. Most significant item was that many of the nails in the roofing (which I'd never have found since I don't go up there) needed
some sealer around them. A few other things like windows not closing
quite properly due to the house settling, etc.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.