Waste Management NOT picking up yard waste

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2018, 04:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I’m not saying that we have to but this is one case where it is better to tip before the meal. Throw the driver or picker a couple of bucks and your problem will not exist! I was told “Sir you could put the contents of your house at the curb, we got it”.

What a rough job in the heat, maybe a couple bottles of water, some act of kindness even though you shouldn’t have to will go a long way.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:32 AM

I live in Fernandina and like I said, this particular employee dug through every bag on my street, picking up very few. My real point is that I see folks putting everything imaginable in these bags and they are picked up. So I am just venting a little. I am lucky enough to have the one guy that inspects every bag for dirt particles. My neighbor brought everything to the dump at Wildwood (there are private and County dumps and he said they charged a small fee.) My guess is all the inspecting is going to cause overtime for this particular truck. One time, In another neighborhood I saw the Waste Management people picking up over 40 bags and hundreds of long limbs and palm branches and I get a guy that won't pick up 1lb of dirt. Ironic, that's all.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail33or View Post
Today I had my biodegradable paper bag 1/3 full of the cuttings around those sprinkler donuts. The Waste Management employees opened the bag, dug around in it, spilling grass and dirt all over the driveway. He screamed that we are not supposed to have any sod/dirt in the bag. There is no way not to have a small amount of dirt attached to grass cuttings. The bag weighed 15 pounds. 10% dirt and 90% grass. Should be good for a natural LANDFILL. Now I have to sweep it back up. So we pay for this...…….
Ah, 1st world problems can be so problematic...

Sticking with your math and assuming it's not fake news, 10% of 15lbs is 1.5lbs of dirt. If everyone had 1.5lbs of dirt in their waste bag that would equate to thousands of pounds of dirt every day in the Villages. In addition, let's be clear - grass cuttings should have no dirt. Removing sod or digging sections of grass out will result in dirt being attached but it is possible and easy to wash away 1.5lbs of dirt from sod. Use a hose or let the rain naturally wash the dirt away if the cost of the water bugs you. Either way, as another post indicated, we surely don't want to inconvenience you to allow other people to do their jobs.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

We've been here 5 years and never had an issue with them digging thru the bags and have always picked up our yard waste.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
We've been here 5 years and never had an issue with them digging thru the bags and have always picked up our yard waste.
Ten years for us. And I do bring cold water when I remember. Thanks Nucky.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
Like anything else in the service industry, it all depends on the crew.
Closed Thread

Tags
bag, dirt, waste, grass, cuttings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.