Water

Old 03-19-2024, 10:38 PM
Default Water

I have water seeping from underneath my kitchen floor. It’s not a lot but it’s concerning. Any ideas of what this could be? Thank you.
Old 03-19-2024, 10:50 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denverdame View Post
I have water seeping from underneath my kitchen floor. It’s not a lot but it’s concerning. Any ideas of what this could be? Thank you.
Are you certain it is coming from the floor? Sometimes, the refrigerator will leave a puddle on the floor. Sometimes, coming from a leaky sink. Even a toilet that shares a kitchen wall.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:52 AM

Look for the easy things first. Open your cabinet under your sink. Take everything out and use the palm of your hand to check for wet or even damp. Feel the rear wall around and below the valves.
Not so easy, pull your refrigerator out and look for water, and on the wall behind.

Hoses from wall valves to where ever.

Worse scenario - I won't go there. If you can't find it, call a plumber. Water can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Mitigate

Water will travel downhill (might not seem like downhill), but can then show-up 5 or 20 feet away. This is very common with many floor coverings.

Laundry room - leaking washer, or faucets on the wall behind. Could also be a clogged laundry drain that only pukes when pumping out the tub.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Call Mike Scott Plumbing and quit wasting time on ToTV.

Old 03-20-2024, 09:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

OP, if you really have water seeping from under your concrete slab floor, you should file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. Your policy should cover all costs associated with the leak detection, tear out work, and reconstruction work. The only thing it won't cover is the actual water pipe repair, which should be a relatively small cost.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
OP, if you really have water seeping from under your concrete slab floor, you should file a claim with your homeowner's insurance. Your policy should cover all costs associated with the leak detection, tear out work, and reconstruction work. The only thing it won't cover is the actual water pipe repair, which should be a relatively small cost.
True.

However I would add that if the cost of repair is relatively small (say, for example, $5,000 or less) you might want to consider paying that amount out-of-pocket. Odds are you have a deductible anyway and fixing it w/o your insurance company knowing about it might save you from premium increases that you otherwise would not have had.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:58 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

A leak in the line going to your refrigerator ice maker is often the cause. In any case if it is coming up through your floor it needs to be resolved. It's likely that the floor will need to be replaced since mold can - likely will - grow under the surface. This assumes that water is under the flooring and not just on top.

I would definitely contact my home owners insurance. The cost to repair will definitely exceed a relatively small raise in the insurance rate.

I had this happen to us in Tennessee and the cost to remove the floor, remove and reinstall the cabinets, and replace the flooring was well over $10,000.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 03-20-2024, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

Quote:
There have been several goods comments already, but I have a question, what type of floor covering do you have? It is very easy for water to travel UNDER the floor covering and show up some distance away from the actual leak. How big is the leak, my point, you can turn off the main valve in the house, open a faucet to bleed off any residual pressure, and dry the wet area and wait a few hours. If no water appears you probably have a leak inside the house as noted previously.

When you go to turn on the water, I would first turn off all of the valves you can find (toilets, sinks, dishwasher, washer, etc.), then turn on the water, look for the leak, and then start turning on valves at maybe 30 minute interval until water appears, then you may have located your leak.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorillarick View Post
Look for the easy things first. Open your cabinet under your sink. Take everything out and use the palm of your hand to check for wet or even damp. Feel the rear wall around and below the valves.
Not so easy, pull your refrigerator out and look for water, and on the wall behind.

Hoses from wall valves to where ever.

Worse scenario - I won't go there. If you can't find it, call a plumber. Water can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Mitigate

Water will travel downhill (might not seem like downhill), but can then show-up 5 or 20 feet away. This is very common with many floor coverings.

Laundry room - leaking washer, or faucets on the wall behind. Could also be a clogged laundry drain that only pukes when pumping out the tub.
I lay down paper towels under sinks and toilets. Anything leaking or dripping show right up. My guess dish washer?
Old 03-21-2024, 01:15 AM

Thank you
Old 03-21-2024, 04:13 AM

We had that in our first house here. Turned out to be a damaged outside faucet leaking back into the wall, and eventually came up thru the living room floor. Don't wait in getting this resolved. We had large drying machines in our house for days to avoid mold. Big job, our insurance company handled it all but we had to pay deductible. When we sold the house, we told the buyer and they had a mold investigation done. Fortunately it was OK.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:33 AM

We had water seep up from under vinyl flooring once. Is was the dishwasher. Dishwashers sit below floor tiles. So when they leak the water easily runs under the tiles.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:57 AM

We had water seeping up through our rolled vinyl floor. Turns out there was a hole in a pipe BELOW the concrete. It was there when the house was built. Warranty department would not cover it because it was past the 2 year systems warranty time line. Caused a crack in my garage floor. Cost me $900. Sleuth leak detection found it after Mike Scott Plumbings initial visit. Once found, Mike Scott plumbing repaired it.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:58 AM

I would get this looked at right away. I had a very similar issue a few years ago, I originally thought it was the refrigerator leaking, but it turned out that it was a leak from the air conditioning unit in the garage that traveled under the laundry room floor and showed up in the kitchen, buckling the laminate floor in the kitchen. I hope that’s not the case for you, but I would get it looked at right away.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:00 AM

This is actually the same way Ocala Silver Springs began and look at the water that bubbles up there today.

Tags
water, it’s, ideas, lot, floor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.