Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools?

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2014, 12:39 AM

I don't think anyone has a problem with someone swimming laps or individuals doing water exercises in the neighborhood pool. But, when a large group is holding a class, and there is no room left for "relaxers", they are essentially taking over the pool which shouldn't be permitted. You can't even use a float in the pool because (I was told) they infringe on others' space; so why should a group be allowed to take over the pool. I'm surprised the rec department allows group water aerobics in the neighborhood pools as there would be no one controlling the number of participants...at the sports pools which are much larger, the rec staff controls the number of participants (I think 85 is max) to ensure folks aren't running into each other (safety reason, I presume).
Old 06-10-2014, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Why not just go and use the pool the way you choose to. Because it is not a sport pool, but rather a neighborhood pool, you cannot be prevented from using it. It's there for everyone to use, whenever they choose. Jump in and enjoy and ignore the ignorant.
Kind of hard to do if there is a large group of people doing water aerobics in the adult neighborhood pool...wouldn't be much room for others to "jump in and enjoy".
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM

The problem occurs in the collier pool also. They should use big cypress.
I am told by the Eisenhower staff that the pool is open; however,it feels very uncomfortable to swim when a bunch of people are in a circle encompassing most of the center of the pool.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

The staff at the rec centers is told not to be enforcers. You have to go over their heads to the rec department and complain. If enough people do it (like in the postal center/dog issue), something will be done.

You have your rights too, even moreso than the exercise classes. Unfortunately, you have to assert them or TV will do nothing because they don't want to make anyone unhappy, and there are more of them (the exercisers) than you to make unhappy.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:13 AM

[QUOTE=CFrance;890639]The staff at the rec centers is told not to be enforcers...

I think they pick and choose what to enforce. Actually had one tell me and another grandparent, our toddler (under age of 2) grandchildren could not play with a small plastic cup in the family pool. Since they couldn't swim, the kids were just sitting on the steps entertaining themselves filling the cups and pouring the water out. Hey, it's cheap entertainment and the kids were quiet...two plusses. But, rec staff came by and made us take their "toys" away...didn't go over too well with the toddlers, ya know how that goes. Though did read an article later saying small plastic cups and buckets are permitted. Anyhow, I digress from the original topic ... I realize it's probably tough having to deal with so many villagers and the different personalities. But, they shouldn't pick on the small stuff then overlook situations like a large group deciding to routinely use the neighborhood pool for water aerobics.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree with you, but I also think at least half of the onus is on TV to enforce the rules it has set up to begin with. They want to keep everyone happy, but really, they are only keeping the rule breakers happy with their no-enforcement-without-loud-complaint policy.

I agree with you also

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
This is a big problem in all of our society--"I'm entitled to do what I please, and the rest be damned." Kids are being raised on that disrespect for others.

Fortunately most people in TV were raised to have respect for other people and for rules that are meant to promote an orderly community.

When people hog the neighborhood pools to do group water walking, etc., they need to be told to clear out and go to the sport pools' open water areas (not lap swim lanes).

The Rec Dept. is in charge of keeping order at these pools. One resident cannot be expected to confront a group of bullies and give them the boot. Rec dept. employees need to step up and enforce the rules.

I totally agree with you except for the part that most people in TV were raised to have respect for other people and for rules meant to promote an orderly community. They may have been raised that way, but a lot of people have forgotten it. Keeping in mind that so many of TV are wonderful people, it is the ones who are not that you notice the most. I think that morals in this country have almost become extinct. It is "whatever I want is ok".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoin View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with someone swimming laps or individuals doing water exercises in the neighborhood pool. But, when a large group is holding a class, and there is no room left for "relaxers", they are essentially taking over the pool which shouldn't be permitted. You can't even use a float in the pool because (I was told) they infringe on others' space; so why should a group be allowed to take over the pool. I'm surprised the rec department allows group water aerobics in the neighborhood pools as there would be no one controlling the number of participants...at the sports pools which are much larger, the rec staff controls the number of participants (I think 85 is max) to ensure folks aren't running into each other (safety reason, I presume).

Sorry, I disagree with the first sentence. Most of the thread says that people do mind when others are exercising or swimming laps. There are pools specifically for that purpose. If you want a rule to succeed, it is pretty much all or nothing. It can't be wheter someone has a problem with it or not. You may not have a problem with it, but other people there might. Obviously things can be different if you are the only person there, but when others come to the pool, the activity should stop.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 AM

Unfortunately there are people everywhere who just don't follow the rules. Whether we agree with the rule or not, it is a rule and it should be followed. As with anything, the person doing the right thing, or following the law or the rule, is the one who has to make changes or adapt. It's getting out of hand and people just need to behave
Old 06-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
Unfortunately there are people everywhere who just don't follow the rules. Whether we agree with the rule or not, it is a rule and it should be followed. As with anything, the person doing the right thing, or following the law or the rule, is the one who has to make changes or adapt. It's getting out of hand and people just need to behave
My opinion is they need to be made to behave by the people who made the rules in the first place. TV needs to step up and take some control. I don't understand their laziness regarding things like this.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM

They shouldn't have to enforce the rules they should just be followed. But since they aren't being followed, CFrance is absolutely right, the Villages should enforce them. The big question is how?
Old 06-11-2014, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
My opinion is they need to be made to behave by the people who made the rules in the first place. TV needs to step up and take some control. I don't understand their laziness regarding things like this.
///
Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlm790 View Post
They shouldn't have to enforce the rules they should just be followed. But since they aren't being followed, CFrance is absolutely right, the Villages should enforce them. The big question is how?
I think the how would come about if enough people went straight to the Rec Director with their complaints. We've had something like this happen with our pickleball group, and the individual rec center wouldn't do anything about it--just ignored it and said Oh, well... Then someone went over their head, and the problem was fixed.

In this case, since it's happening in more than one spot, people from each pool would have to lodge a complaint with the director. Harrass him enough, and point out what rules are being broken and who is suffering because of it, and he will have to respond instead of ignore. It worked with the postal centers/dogs. It worked with the wall. People have to become assertive about their rights.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I think the how would come about if enough people went straight to the Rec Director with their complaints. We've had something like this happen with our pickleball group, and the individual rec center wouldn't do anything about it--just ignored it and said Oh, well... Then someone went over their head, and the problem was fixed.

In this case, since it's happening in more than one spot, people from each pool would have to lodge a complaint with the director. Harrass him enough, and point out what rules are being broken and who is suffering because of it, and he will have to respond instead of ignore. It worked with the postal centers/dogs. It worked with the wall. People have to become assertive about their rights.

How about if a bunch of people reading this thread forward it to John Rohan....Isn't he the recreation director? I tried to figure out HOW to do it but am not sure. http://districtgov.org/departments/R...ecreation.aspx
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Sage

That's a good idea. He would have to be a member of TOTV to read it, though. Otherwise, copy and paste everything into a word document.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:51 AM
Sage

Here is Mr. Rohan's email address. Let's do something about this situation! John.Rohan@districtgov.org
Old 06-11-2014, 09:01 AM
Sage

Here is my email to Mr. Rohan:

Dear Mr. Rohan,

A number of neighborhood pools are being used for exercise classes, tying up the pools for an hour or more at a time and making it impossible for the pools to be used for their intended purposes--floating around, relaxing, a little swimming. Many people have become combative when asked to make room for those wanting to use the pools for their intended purpose. Going to these pools' rec center staff and complaining has done no good. They either state there's nothing they can do about it, or they won't do anything about it.

There is a groundswell of dissatisfaction over this practice, and people are being urged to get together and try to get the rec department to enforce the rules at the neighborhood pools, and to have the exercise classes moved to the sports pools where they belong.

If you are a member of Talk of The Villages forum, I urge you to read this thread: Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools? It will give you information about which pools are being affected at this time. However, even if you don't read this thread, my request is that you direct your recreational staff at each rec center to ensure that these exercise classes are moved to the sports pools, and enforce the original intent of the neighborhood pools, which is for relaxing and socializing.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.