Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools?

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvafran View Post
Did the man who came this a.m. and pretend to use the men's room, then turn and take pictures of people in the pool, qualify as respect? I vue it as rude and invasive . What is the purpose of the pictures? Will they be used without our permission?
Did you ask the photographer why he was taking the pictures?
I'm not sure anyone here could answer your questions.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
Sorry, I disagree with the first sentence. Most of the thread says that people do mind when others are exercising or swimming laps. There are pools specifically for that purpose. If you want a rule to succeed, it is pretty much all or nothing. It can't be wheter someone has a problem with it or not. You may not have a problem with it, but other people there might. Obviously things can be different if you are the only person there, but when others come to the pool, the activity should stop.
Sorry, it was an introductory sentence.. what I meant to convey is probably most would not generally complain if an isolated individual was doing some water exercises on the side of the pool....but, the real issue (which I supported in my post) seems to be that group water aerobics are being conducted in the adult pools, and I agree the rec staff should put a stop to this.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Here is the email response I got from Mr. Rohan:

"We are looking how to get the residents to mutually respect pool use and intent. We agree the exercise classes should not impede or impact the enjoyment of others to use the neighborhood pools. That's why we designed sports pools."

I urge all of you to email him at the address given in my post above.
????Not to be disrespectful, but it sounds like a polititian wrote the response. He agrees exercise classes should not impede others....but, doesn't come right out and say they shouldn't be conducted. when he's done looking & finds the answer on how to get residents to mutually respect, etc.....he should bottle and sell it....he'd make millions. But, for now sounds like we are on our own
Old 06-11-2014, 09:50 PM
Default Recreation Dept

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I would think the recreation department would give you the correct answer. To my knowledge the only pools to conduct organized water exercises would be in the sports pools. Just my guess.
If you really want to get something done, don't just call the recreation department. Call John Rohan, Director of Recreation. He is the 'get it done man'.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
The neighborhood adult pools should have monitors enforcing the rules, checking ID cards, and clearing out groups who take over the pool and patio as their own turf like playground bullies.

As many of us told our kids as they grew up:

"You want to be treated like an 'adult'?? Then act like one. But until you do, you are going to be watched by us or a babysitter."

Totally agree!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
My opinion is they need to be made to behave by the people who made the rules in the first place. TV needs to step up and take some control. I don't understand their laziness regarding things like this.

Also agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvafran View Post
I am reading lots of negative comments that a "group" of exercisers prevent others from entering the pool, do not share, are taking up the whole pool and generally are a territorial group of individuals.
I am one of the people being complained about and we always leave a lane, greet people as they arrive and say come on in, plenty of room. There are "groups" all day at the pool, so should ALL of theses be prohibited?

Maybe your group is very respectful, and polite, but not all are. But, people have already shown that not everyone plays by the rules, because they don't believe the rules apply to them. So, because of that , Rules cannot and should not be specific to different groups. You just can't say "it's ok for you, but not for you", so rules have to apply to all-that is the only fair way. TV has pools that are specifically designated for water exercise, and the neighbor pools are not designated for water exercise or sports. So why would you want to do exercise in the little neighbor pools when you have a nice big pool for exercise. People who just want to laze around and quietly enjoy the pool cannot go to the sports pools and demand that the people who are there to exercise have to stop so they can enjoy the quiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoin View Post
Sorry, it was an introductory sentence.. what I meant to convey is probably most would not generally complain if an isolated individual was doing some water exercises on the side of the pool....but, the real issue (which I supported in my post) seems to be that group water aerobics are being conducted in the adult pools, and I agree the rec staff should put a stop to this.

No problem

BTW, I think Mr Rohan's answer was totally wishy-washy. I totally agree with some of the previous posters who say we need employees in TV who have the authority to actually make decisions.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Default water arobics in neighborhood pools

Why is there such a stink about a group of friends being at a pool at the same time?
I have seen many groups at the pools, clowning around, without bothering anyone. No one seems to care about this.
Who is behind the complaints and what is the reaason?
Old 10-03-2014, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaringg View Post
That should take care of the problem. It would also mean that friends gathering at the pools would not be possible. Many neighood groups gather at pools for fun and enjoyment. GONE, would be subject to to LAW inforcement. Most residents are not early risers and don't use the pools until the sun is high.
Hi there. Did you just return?
Old 10-03-2014, 03:33 PM

no, have been here, just interested as to why all the stink.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaringg View Post
Why is there such a stink about a group of friends being at a pool at the same time? I have seen many groups at the pools, clowning around, without bothering anyone. No one seems to care about this.
Who is behind the complaints and what is the reaason?
Have you read all the previous posts? They pretty much answer your questions.
(This thread has been inactive since June, so not a lot of recent comments.)
Old 10-03-2014, 06:56 PM

I go to a neighborhood pool three times a week for one hour 9-10. There are probably 30 or so of us who enjoy exercising together. Are 30 people going to be inconvenienced because of one or two, if that, who might swim at that hour? It is our neighborhood, we like to exercise, why would we want to travel and wait in lines for entrance at a sports pool where you can't visit, there is no place to sit. I mean really, 3 hours from 9-10 in the morning?? We pay the same fees to live here and to have access to the pools. How about if we all worry about something more important than elderly people who enjoy each others company and like to exercise for 3 hours a week? That leaves a whole lot of time for all the complainers to swim and enjoy themselves. Has anyone ever checked how many people are at any of the pools at 9:00?
Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

My husband and I go to the neighborhood pool with water weights... we stand in one place and do arm exercises. Well, I guess that's out... because that's considered exercise. I will also tell the people in our neighborhood pool who walk to get some exercise while we are all talking to go to the sports pool... because exercise isn't allowed. Really?? If there was a "class" in our pool I'd probably love to join them. If not, I would ignore them.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:31 PM

I find it amazing that people move here, agree to the rules and then decide to break the rules yet chastise those who comply. What is it about restrictions that you don't understand? Why are the rules only for others?
Old 10-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieF View Post
I go to a neighborhood pool three times a week for one hour 9-10. There are probably 30 or so of us who enjoy exercising together. Are 30 people going to be inconvenienced because of one or two, if that, who might swim at that hour? It is our neighborhood, we like to exercise, why would we want to travel and wait in lines for entrance at a sports pool where you can't visit, there is no place to sit. I mean really, 3 hours from 9-10 in the morning?? We pay the same fees to live here and to have access to the pools. How about if we all worry about something more important than elderly people who enjoy each others company and like to exercise for 3 hours a week? That leaves a whole lot of time for all the complainers to swim and enjoy themselves. Has anyone ever checked how many people are at any of the pools at 9:00?
"Are 30 people going to be inconvenienced because of one or two, if that, who might swim at that hour?"

Yes, because this is taking over a pool and bullying out individuals who want to swim and relax, not be pushed around by playground bullies.

What brazen GALL!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieF View Post
I go to a neighborhood pool three times a week for one hour 9-10. There are probably 30 or so of us who enjoy exercising together. Are 30 people going to be inconveni enced because of one or two I mean really, 3 hours from 9-10 in the morning
The point is very simple. If one person, or a group of persons, is permitted to ignore the rules, then any other person, or group of persons has to be allowed to ignore the rules as well.
So another group of 30 buddies decides they want to use the neighborhood adult pool for water aerobics as well, from 9 to 10 on the days the first group is not using the pool. Next a couple of men's water volleyball teams decides they'd like to use the same pool for practice sessions since times available at the sports pool are not convenient. So they set up a net and occupy the pool daily from noon til 1 pm. Then some grandparents decide to bring their preschool grandchildren to the adult pool because it's much closer than the designated family pool. Who could object, cause it's only 2 kids and they're only here one week/year.
And so on and so forth. The concept of a neighborhood adult pool for relaxing is totally lost.
Don't really understand why the special people find this so difficult to understand.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:48 AM

With the many groups having water aerobics in even more neighborhood pools than you have mentioned, it is estimated that over 300 or more residence each morning are participating in these neighborhood pool activities, and I am one of them! maybe think of the 300 over yourself and YOU having to miss an hour of pool time for yourself in the early morning. YOU have the rest of the day to use the pool. Maybe also consider joining in with your fellow villagers, its a lot of fun and you could make a friend or get some exercise.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.