Water Plant Malfunction

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2019, 11:34 PM

Sadly, we should be stay focused on what is happening here in The Villages, instead of trying to downplay it by looking at other communities, sugary newspaper coverage and unrelated comments. Please folks, we are a community of senior citizens, many with serious health issues who may be severely affected by this situation. We deserve to have accurate information so we can take the appropriate measures. There is much "hearsay" conversation about house water filters, refrigerator water filters, etc... but nothing from the persons who are responsible for this situation. Please let's try to stay constructive and help one another during this situation.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

So, sign up for the District notices...…..
Old 07-23-2019, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

And didn't I hear that just a pumping station went out and it was switched to another in about two hours?
Don't know what you heard, but two hours of a non-working pump may be enough to have all the water in the system to become contaminated. So when the pump is fixed it is now pumping potentially non-potable water. And the testing to determine the safety of drinking that water will take hours or days. Thus the advisory to boil on a precautionary basis. Even after the boil advisory is lifted it is useful to be sure the public is informed so evolving symptoms can potentially be linked back to the exposure.

This is no different than a restaurant reporting that a former employee had Hepatitis A. He is no longer working and there is no ongoing risk but the public is informed of a potential exposure so we can all be aware to report to our doctor a known risk should we develop symptoms.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

This is long but it may help you understand the risk with a pump failure

"Any contaminant exterior to the distribution system may enter potable water supplies during a negative pressure event. Chemical contaminants could include pesticides, petroleum products, fertilizers, solvents, detergents, pharmaceuticals, and other compounds. Predominant pesticides in urban areas include atrazine, simazine, prometon, and diazinon (Patterson and Focazio 2001). Other studies have detected insect repellants, fire retardants, and other industrial chemicals (Koplin et al. 2002). If chemical compounds intrude in sufficient concentration or volume, they might result in acute toxicity. Microbial contaminants are a concern because even with dilution, some microbes (e.g., viruses) could cause an infection with a single organism.
Karim et al. (2001) reported on a study that examined 66 soil and water samples collected from 8 utilities in 6 states. The samples were collected immediately adjacent to the drinking water pipelines. The purpose of the study was to determine the presence of microbial contaminants in the soil immediately external to the distribution system. Whenever a main was excavated, samples were collected of either the water or the undisturbed soil next to the pipe. Total coliform and fecal coliform bacteria were detected in water and soil in about half of the samples, indicating the presence of fecal contamination (Figure 3). Bacillus was found in almost all the samples, which is not a surprise since it is a normal soil organism. Viruses were detected using culturable methods in 12 percent of the soil and water samples, and by molecular methods in 19 percent of the soil samples and 47 percent of the water samples. When these data are combined, 56 percent of the samples were positive for viruses either in the water or the soil. Sequence analysis showed that these viruses were predominantly enteroviruses (the vaccine strain of Poliovirus), but Norwalk and Hepatitis A viruses were also detected, providing clear evidence of human fecal contamination immediately exterior to the pipe …. In summary, it is concluded that transient pressure events occur in distribution systems; that during these negative pressure events pipeline are present in the soil and water exterior to the distribution system. To date, all observed negative pressure events have been related to power outages or other pump shutdowns" my bold

Now tell me again why it doesn't matter that it was only 2 hours? or that it was over before the newspaper would have arrived at your door?
Old 07-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
This is long but it may help you understand the risk with a pump failure

"Any contaminant exterior to the distribution system may enter potable water supplies during a negative pressure event. Chemical contaminants could include pesticides, petroleum products, fertilizers, solvents, detergents, pharmaceuticals, and other compounds. Predominant pesticides in urban areas include atrazine, simazine, prometon, and diazinon (Patterson and Focazio 2001). Other studies have detected insect repellants, fire retardants, and other industrial chemicals (Koplin et al. 2002). If chemical compounds intrude in sufficient concentration or volume, they might result in acute toxicity. Microbial contaminants are a concern because even with dilution, some microbes (e.g., viruses) could cause an infection with a single organism.
Karim et al. (2001) reported on a study that examined 66 soil and water samples collected from 8 utilities in 6 states. The samples were collected immediately adjacent to the drinking water pipelines. The purpose of the study was to determine the presence of microbial contaminants in the soil immediately external to the distribution system. Whenever a main was excavated, samples were collected of either the water or the undisturbed soil next to the pipe. Total coliform and fecal coliform bacteria were detected in water and soil in about half of the samples, indicating the presence of fecal contamination (Figure 3). Bacillus was found in almost all the samples, which is not a surprise since it is a normal soil organism. Viruses were detected using culturable methods in 12 percent of the soil and water samples, and by molecular methods in 19 percent of the soil samples and 47 percent of the water samples. When these data are combined, 56 percent of the samples were positive for viruses either in the water or the soil. Sequence analysis showed that these viruses were predominantly enteroviruses (the vaccine strain of Poliovirus), but Norwalk and Hepatitis A viruses were also detected, providing clear evidence of human fecal contamination immediately exterior to the pipe …. In summary, it is concluded that transient pressure events occur in distribution systems; that during these negative pressure events pipeline are present in the soil and water exterior to the distribution system. To date, all observed negative pressure events have been related to power outages or other pump shutdowns" my bold

Now tell me again why it doesn't matter that it was only 2 hours? or that it was over before the newspaper would have arrived at your door?
Can you tell me again why residents have not all signed up for District Notices as post 13 and 17 recommend? Have you? They would have received notice of this event and another notice when the alert is lifted..... all in a timely manner. If people have the ability and knowledge to post here ...... they could get on the District site and sign up for this service. You get to pick what you want to be notified about.

And don't worry about newspaper being delivered after the event was over because ..... other posters (junior editors) have already decided that the newspaper's notice was too small and on the wrong page.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:23 AM
Sage

One more time......

VCDD e-Notifications Sign Up

I also found on this page a link to a form you fill out and change or "Up Date Contact Information". I did away with my landline and had never listed my cell # with The Villages. That has now been corrected.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
One more time......

I also found on this page a link to a form you fill out and change or "Up Date Contact Information". I did away with my landline and had never listed my cell # with The Villages. That has now been corrected.
Another opportunity to be informed:
ALERT SUMTER
Emergency Notification System
AlertSumter Emergency Notification System
Old 07-23-2019, 11:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Another opportunity to be informed:
ALERT SUMTER
Emergency Notification System
AlertSumter Emergency Notification System
I signed up when Sumter switched from "Code Red".
From the site you linked:

Messages will be sent to residents by their preferred contact paths either cell phone, text, home phone, email, fax, pager and more to ensure real-time access to potentially lifesaving information.

So.... unless you enjoy complaining about not being informed......
Old 07-23-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
One more time......

Thank you for that link. It’s very helpful. Please indulge me this dumb question but how do I know what district I’m in? I checked the legal description but it’s not there. Thanks
Old 07-23-2019, 02:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnrbec View Post
Thank you for that link. It’s very helpful. Please indulge me this dumb question but how do I know what district I’m in? I checked the legal description but it’s not there. Thanks

VCDD Districts Map
Old 07-23-2019, 05:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
The point is that the issue is SERIOUS for all water-related purposes: washing hands, brushing teeth, personal hygiene, as well as cooking and consuming.

I believe that the poster is suggesting that it is the paper's civic duty to inform their readers who may be affected by this issue by placing a significantly larger notice in a more prominent area of the paper. Since the editors felt that it was important enough to post the info, why place it where their subscribers/readers could easily miss it?
OK. Here is my response.

How many complaints have been made that the Daily Sun is the "happy paper" that avoids bad or controversial news. So why, oh why, would you depend on it for important warnings.

As others have said, sign up for the email service. It is the way things are done in 2019.
Closed Thread

Tags
page, water, problem, article, small

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.