Water shut-off valve

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2023, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Do none of the houses in Sumter County have a master water shut off valve in the house, or did the plumber just forget to install mine?

I raised the issue at closing, but was told that it is perfectly legal in Sumter County for the only shutoff valve to be the one on the water meter in the yard. I couldn't believe it, but the independent inspector I hired confirmed it.

The house is a seasonal rental, and I've worried about it ever since. Like all the Villages houses, it has those cheap, easily breakable CPVC stubouts. If there's a plumbing leak, there's no way I can expect a renter to fish around in the garage for the special tool, and then figure out which black box in the yard contains the correct meter. And for most of the year, the house is un-occupied. I guess I ought to just turn it off, but I'm there every week or so to mow and I'd have to turn it back on every time just to wash my hands.

Has anybody ever had one of those new smart safety valves installed that can sense a leak, just from the change in water pressure, and shut it off automatically? Amazon sells one that even lets you turn the water on and off with your phone.
Install a Nova water filtration system. You will get new valves as the water comes into the house. Problem solved and better water. No more need to change the fridge filter.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:13 AM

I also live in Duval. CYV built in 2007. No shut off valve in garage. Had one installed with filtration system.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:14 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,664 Posts

[QUOTE=rochellepfaff;2222537]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Been in 50 Sumter County homes in TV...................they all have shut-off valves in the garage.
No they don't. My house was built in 2005 and the shut off valve is outside, next to the garage, in the ground. It's in a small box.
Yes they do.

Obviously your house was not one of the 50 I have been thru.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,796 Times in 5,289 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
Install a Nova water filtration system. You will get new valves as the water comes into the house. Problem solved and better water. No more need to change the fridge filter.
If there is no water shutoff valve, Nova cannot install a water softener. You still need a plumber to locate the water line and tap into it to install a valve.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkruege1 View Post
I took out an old shrub this spring to make room for a nicer one. It was close to the sprinkler box. While removing it, I found the sprinkler water shutoff. It had been buried by the previous owner. The whole house shutoff is located in the line that feeds the water softener in my home built in 2006.
Yeah, this also happens. If there is a softener/filter, that is usually tapped into in the garage where the shutoff is or was.

If the irrigation is on a separate system, as is the case south and 466 and on, the irrigation water valve is usually outside and and often buried.

Some times the shutoff for irrigation is above the ground in an upside down U very near the box and that can be anywhere.

The fact remains every home in TV has a valve for the potable water and if they have irrigation water, they have a separate valve for that.

The fact also remains that landscapers love to bury these valves and if you can't find a valve in your garage and it's not obvious outside, it's buried.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:27 AM

My courtyard villa was built in 1994 and my water shut off valve is outside under the garage window
Old 06-01-2023, 08:00 AM
Veteran member

Our house once had a water system in the garage, which was removed before we bought it. There is a shut off on that. I showed it to my wife in case there was a leak, so she knew where to go to shut off the water. I recently added an outside faucet to the other side of the garage and the shut off came in very handy while I added a shutoff for that line before doing all the plumbing.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:02 AM
Default I had the same problem

I had the same problem But the house was in Lake County, in the historical section on Boone Court. I had the plumber look and look but there was indeed no master shut off valve. It also was a rental house. I paid the plumber to install a shut off next to the street shut off. So you could turn it off with a simple hand valve but it was still under a panel by the driveway. That was the best he could do. By the way I was told that you’re not allowed to turn off your water at the street. Apparently that’s the property of the county, I guess?
Old 06-01-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsmom View Post
I had the same problem But the house was in Lake County, in the historical section on Boone Court. I had the plumber look and look but there was indeed no master shut off valve. It also was a rental house. I paid the plumber to install a shut off next to the street shut off. So you could turn it off with a simple hand valve but it was still under a panel by the driveway. That was the best he could do. By the way I was told that you’re not allowed to turn off your water at the street. Apparently that’s the property of the county, I guess?
You are allowed to shut off the valve on your side of the water meter.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Been in 50 Sumter County homes in TV...................they all have shut-off valves in the garage.

We had this discussion before. I, along with many others in courtyard villas, have the shut off outside. I had mine moved out of my shrub to near the garage door but the plumber would not drill through the poured concrete because of steel strips.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:56 AM
Default Check For Separate Systems for House and Irrigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaz1 View Post
A neighbor recently knocked on my door as she could not turn off the irrigation system which had been running for hours. Turning off the controller did nothing. Could not find the shut off valve. An irrigation guy came out and the valve was in the ground underneath a cover. A 2004 villa. Mine is in the garage because a water filtration system had been installed.
You need to determine if you have two separate systems, one for the house and one for irrigation. Most houses have two systems, some do not.

The easiest way to determine this is to check your monthly bill. If you have two systems, the bill will show separate figures for gallons used and dollars charged as the rate for irrigation water is less than for house water.

If you or your neighbor have separate systems, the valve in your garage will be for house water and not for irrigation.
Old 06-01-2023, 08:58 AM
Sage

The OP has two separate systems because he lives in Hadley. But apparently, he does not have a valve in the garage.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,306 Times in 4,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkruege1 View Post
Do you have a water softener? I do and it supplies the whole house. Put a shut off just in front of the softener and you should be good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janie123 View Post
Unfortunately, you have to be able to shut off the water to install either of those things...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-01-2023, 10:08 AM
Default Water shut off valve in courtyard villas

I have a courtyard villa in the village of Largo, and there was no shut off valve for water in the garage. Called my plumber and had one installed in the garage. Peace of mind was worth the price.
Old 06-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Blue.................I may have missed, but have you contacted Home Warranty or the actual builder of your house (the sub contractor)??

Home Warranty does have the plans for your house and all the contractors.

Let us know what happens.
I thought this was good advice.

Tags
water, valve, turn, house, sumter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.