Water Softeners

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Default Water Softeners

As a general rule is a water softner necessary in The Villages?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

It is entirely a personal choice. The water here does have a lot of minerals in it. Some people say it causes itchy skin, etc and is hard on their dishwasher and does not taste good.

Others have no problem. I have no problem.

However, to spend $6,000 on a water softner system is a rip-off and there are some of these rip-off companies who will call the day you get a phone installed.

If you do want a water softner, check out Home Depot or Lowes.

If you have questions about a certain company, call Seniors vs Crime in either Marion or Sumter county.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 AM

It is by far the biggest rip off in the Villages, tell you what I did, I had Mandy with Pro Plumbers 352-330 0007 install a water filter for the entire house(in the garage on the wall) for approx $400, its a big filter, you change it every 3 months Lowe's and Home Depot carry them for approx $35. They sit in a clear plastic case, which is amazing how it changes color over time from bright white to a real dark orange color picking up residue in the water.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky-30 View Post
It is by far the biggest rip off in the Villages, tell you what I did, I had Mandy with Pro Plumbers 352-330 0007 install a water filter for the entire house(in the garage on the wall) for approx $400, its a big filter, you change it every 3 months Lowe's and Home Depot carry them for approx $35. They sit in a clear plastic case, which is amazing how it changes color over time from bright white to a real dark orange color picking up residue in the water.
A water filter doesn't soften the water, does it?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Sage

I have one, but is it necessary? I don't think so. Had one in CA and decided to go with one here. We use potassium salt and not sodium in it. I only drink the water that is filtered by my fridge, did that before the softner was in, too. Don't care for the taste of the water from the faucet, either before or after the softner and the fridge filter really makes the water taste good to me. It's all a matter of personal preference, but it's not absolutely necessary to have in home water treatment devices installed.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A water filter doesn't soften the water, does it?
No , it doesn't. But generally water from a public water supply - as opposed to from a private well - is already as "soft" as needed.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via MSN to Bryan

A water softener is not necessary but certainly is preferred by some Villagers. It is your money and your retirement so enjoy it as you feel is in your best interests. Just be aware that sales of water softener system is one that is often fraught with scam artists and fly-by-night operators. Be careful when shopping for your system. Get multiple quotes from several companies, ask for references and check them out carefully, and above all, READ THE CONTRACT. There are usually a lot of bait-n-switch tactics used, often "freebies" thrown into the deal, etc. Focus on what you want - a reasonable and efficient water softener.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 AM

The water filter extracts a lot of impurities in the water. Dont know about it making it softer, but cleaner., especially with hot water tanks. If you drain one down here, you will be amazed at the whitish sludge/sand that comes out of them. It will make my hot water tank last a lot longer.
The water in the Villages is top notch.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

also, keep in mind. Water softeners are a "gift that keeps on giving" - to the softener company that is. You need to replace salt or cartridges or whatever substance is used every month or so... This can get VERY expensive over the life of the softener.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Eternal Member

I had a water softener in NJ and I have one down here. It is not about the water but about the money you save on soap and conditioners. The water also tastes better. I like the feel of the water on my skin and the difference in the scum in the toilets. There is none.

It is worth it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I had a water softener in NJ and I have one down here. It is not about the water but about the money you save on soap and conditioners. The water also tastes better. I like the feel of the water on my skin and the difference in the scum in the toilets. There is none.

It is worth it.
I agree.
The water in TV is not as soft as needed. The softner provides all the benefits Zcavem states above.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot other reputable dealers. Anyone who quotes a price and then continues to discount.....should be asked to leave.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.