Water Softeners/Filters

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2022, 08:23 AM

I must be the pickiest person in the world, but I still prefer the taste of the bottled water. We have a Nova system in our home, and we had the filters changed when we moved in. We had them come out again the next week because the water still tasted bad. They changed the filters a second time and it was the same. There are white spots on both my Brita and my tea kettle. I get itchy skin if I’m in the shower too long. (This does not happen anyplace but here.). There’s sediment in my cup when I drink tea or coffee. I’ll try using the water through the fridge to see if that makes a difference, but I’m not as ecstatic as the others on this forum about our Nova system.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchrep View Post
Water Softeners. Greetings Neighbors: I am finding the tap water in our neighborhood harsh to drink. I am bringing our Brita Water Filter down to give that a try. Of course I prefer not to live on bottled water our entire time in Florida. So I am writing to ask for any success stories in eliminating the harshness of tap water in our neighborhood. Thanks
Water Softener and Carbon inline filter a must. Both extend the life of the dishwasher and washing machine. Well worth the money.
Old 01-15-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,776 Times in 3,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
Water Softener and Carbon inline filter a must. Both extend the life of the dishwasher and washing machine. Well worth the money.
Extends life on clothes & towels too (IMO).

I heard human life too. ;-))
Old 01-15-2022, 10:20 AM

We bought ZEROWATER on Amazon. SOOOOO much better than Brita.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:41 AM

If you have a filter on your fridge that’ll work ( if you have water and ice on your door). Mine is broken so I use the Brita which is fine for me. I just hate the thought of all those plastic bottles in our landfills
Old 01-15-2022, 10:57 AM

Also check with Kiley and Sons Plumbing. They offer a competitive alternative to the Nova System.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsbedford View Post
I must be the pickiest person in the world, but I still prefer the taste of the bottled water. We have a Nova system in our home, and we had the filters changed when we moved in. We had them come out again the next week because the water still tasted bad. They changed the filters a second time and it was the same. There are white spots on both my Brita and my tea kettle. I get itchy skin if I’m in the shower too long. (This does not happen anyplace but here.). There’s sediment in my cup when I drink tea or coffee. I’ll try using the water through the fridge to see if that makes a difference, but I’m not as ecstatic as the others on this forum about our Nova system.
Does your system include a water softener or water softener filter? Your issues sound like hard water.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitoro@hotmail.com View Post
If you have a filter on your fridge that’ll work ( if you have water and ice on your door). s
Very true, it's probably the best of all for drinking water, but is a very limited solution. Downside is it doesn't have any effect on the water you bathe or shower in, wash clothes with or do dishes with or even make hot water in your water heater with. All that sediment as you can see that was removed in the photo ends up in the bottom of the water heater among other places.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-01-12 10.14.23.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	92221  
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 01-15-2022, 01:49 PM
Default Counter Top RO and Incoming Filter Setup

BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING: ***NOTE*** It is highly advisable to contact your local water company and get a copy of their water testing report. These are available because they need these to comply with state regulations. Ask them to email you a copy of their most current report, this will tell the customer service people at Waterfilters.net how to address your filtration needs***
1] If you go on Amazon you will find the K-Flow RO system advertised. It is a table or counter top unit that performs well as a small Reverse Osmosis system. I got mine on sale at $400 after watching the item for some time. Normally about $480
2] I have 3 - 20 Inch filters on my incoming water supply; pre-filter @ 20 microns, center [2nd] and chlorine removal filter @ 1 micron, 3rd is a polishing filter of activated charcoal @ 10 microns. These are Pentek products which are the benchmark for the most products to emulate. Other manufacturers are available too. These filters may be found at Water Filters & Water Filter Systems | Waterfilters.net
A complete setup for my home, housings, filters [self-installed] ran me about $550 initially. Our water is good except for some residual chlorine so I got a better 2nd filter to address the chlorine issue, otherwise our incoming water is pretty good.
The customer service people there are friendly and will help you select the filters, housings and products you will need. PLEASE research the products on their site BEFORE calling in about what to buy. They will appreciate you having some direction on what you may want to use for your need. They also have great definitions of terms that will help you understand the lingo used to describe the items you are looking at on their site.
Our water is city and is of reasonable quality. The 1st and 3rd filters are good for 20,000-50,000 gallons of filtration depending on the filter, 2nd is good for about 50,000 gallons. We average about 3000 gallons per month but I replace 1st and 3rd once per year and 2nd about every other time I replace 1 & 3. To replace all filters are about $200 per year. To have a plumber install this unit should not cost an arm and a leg. My best guess would be no more than $300-$500 unless the installation is of a complicated nature. Make sure to have the filter rack mounted to a solid surface as it gets quite heavy when filled with filter elements and water. Best to get a couple of estimates AFTER you buy your filtration products. Best wishes for your project. Hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:59 AM

We recently had a whole house filter installed. Love it.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, tap, neighborhood, bottled, entire

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.