Waving to people

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Sage
Default Waving to people

I know this has been posted before, but I would like to bring up the issue again. When I moved here two years ago, most people on carts waved as you went by each other. I rarely see that now. I make an effort to smile and wave to people. The wave I received from people back then was one of the reasons I thought this was such a great place to live. That wave stood for happiness at being in TV..
It seems many have gotten bored with that initial burst of friendliness and have reverted to the big city "eyes straight ahead" mentality. Yes, we have to pay attention to our driving, but that small wave brought so much sunshine to my soul. I think we should all make a conscious effort to start waving and smiling at one another again. I never stopped. If I make one grumpy person smile, my day is happier. I may sound like a Stepford wife wanting a perfect world here in TV, but so what. There's a huge world out there that can be grumpy
and discourteous. Here we can be different. Let's really be America's friendliest and happiest home town. wav wav wav wav wav wav
Old 04-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Default Re: Waving to people

wav wav wav wav wav

Just wanted to wave back at you samhass. Have a great day.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:08 PM

wav wav wav wav
If you see four people next week on rental golf carts waving and saying hi to everyone, that will be me. I am sorry to hear that folks have stopped that very simple and pleasant gesture.
I still acknowledge people I pass in the streets, stores, etc. I will continue to do so in spite of their response. wav wav wav wav wav wav wav
Old 04-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm with you. I have a ball driving the Miata and waving at folks. Think I've only had two not wave back and then there was the one who waved with one finger. I just did a "naughty-naughty" with two fingers and he started cracking up and waved.

People do still wave first, though. Sadly, it seems to be more from walkers than drivers -- golf cart or otherwise.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

I don't live there yet, but in my many visits, I was amazed at all the people who waved. I guess just the ones I saw seemed like many many to me compared to what you have been used to, but maybe some don't wave cuz they were taught to keep both hands on the wheel?? ??? :joke:
Old 04-03-2008, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am waving and blowing kisses back to you. Of course we should ALL wave. I can't wait to move down there and be part of the new.........WAVE!

Looking for my waving icon....Where is that danged thing?!?

Gracie Girl and group. I.E. Husband Henry, daughter Helene (She will be coming with us, you will love her,) and cats Mikey and Hershey. Please don't any of you be allergic. I want to cook Ohio Johhny Marzetti and have you all over for dinner. WAVING!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for this thread Samhass. I agree, we need to encourage friendliness. I wave a lot, and also say Hi to most people I encounter.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
I am waving and blowing kisses back to you. Of course we should ALL wave. I can't wait to move down there and be part of the new.........WAVE!

Looking for my waving icon....Where is that danged thing?!?

Gracie Girl and group. I.E. Husband Henry, daughter Helene (She will be coming with us, you will love her,) and cats Mikey and Hershey. Please don't any of you be allergic. I want to cook Ohio Johhny Marzetti and have you all over for dinner. WAVING!
GG,

If we two Buckeyes ever meet up, I will tell you a story about Johnny Marzetti. Not here. Not now. Not because the story is rated R or anything. It is because the story would reveal one of Boomer's secrets. (Do I need help or what? I am beginning to refer to myself in third person.)

But I can tell you and everybody else a story about waving.

Remember the 70's when we were all so darned cute. Well, my car was cute, too. It was a Triumph. When I bought it, used, somebody told me that I could end up having to put out for a British Leland Motors mechanic.

I loved that little car.

But at the time there was protocol on the road, here in my part of Ohio anyway.

I guess there had been a time when all sportscar drivers waved to one another.

But by the time I was one, the protocol had changed.

The one in the less expensive sportscar had to wave first.

Well, I was pretty busy waving first to Porsches and Jags, no matter what their number, and pretty much everybody else. I was never sure what to do though when I met an MG. So I just waved anyway.

So what I am starting to wonder as I read this thread is whether some of those sportscar drivers that I was waving to first in the 70's are in TV. Well, if they are down there and are being quite snotty and full of themselves, they may want to consider getting over it.

Sam is right.

Boomer wav

Old 04-03-2008, 04:57 PM

We have lived in TV for 6 years now... I still wave at everybody and always will. Some walkers even wave back.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Sage

Thanks, Mom2five, for the wave. To all that replied saying you will be perennial wavers, I say " Thanks for making our little part of the world a happier place.!!!"
Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM
Sage

Living in grumpy upstate N.Y for so many years where the sun rarely shines and noone ever waves to each other in passing, I will have to keep a rubberband on one finger to remind me to wave, wave, wave! I think its a wonderful idea and hopefully I will catch on quickly. It really is such a nice gesture , thanks for bringing it up!

If you pass me and I dont wave, please give me a good swift kick! LOL

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:30 PM
Sage

wav wav wav wav wav wav wav wav wav wav Great post Sam! I completely agree! I'm afraid I've fallen back into the big city thing sometimes. I wave back always, but I must also remember to wave first! My hubby and I were amazed at that when we first moved here 5 months ago and it did make us very happy. So, I'll remember to wave! Thanks for reminding me of that good feeling. :-*
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
Veteran member

I've been here for 5 years and still wave at everyone, including the trolley when it goes by. wav wav wav
Old 04-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Sage

Sweet Nonie, You are to dear for anyone to ever give you a kick. Your smile is as nice as a wave.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Sage

Awwww! Thankyou Sam, What a nice thing to say but truthfully sometimes I really need that swift kick, Really! I welcome it when necessary!

You are such a sweetie!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.