We found a house. Yea!

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default We found a house. Yea!

I have been lurking on this site off and on for years.
Finally came down last year for three months and decided we would make this our future home. With all the info from all of you we felt well armed. We narrowed it down to three resales and was able to negotiate with much back and forth and got our first choice.
So as of March 11 we will own two houses one in Tamarind Grove and one in Seattle. It is a Lily with a golf cart garage looking at water so a private lot which was our #1 must have as I am a loud talker and didn't want to feel I was in another persons space.
It will sit empty till we sell our house in Seattle maybe even a little longer as we don't think we would come down in the summer. All suggestions for my check list of what to do are greatly appreciated.

You guys are great
Trudy and Larry
Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

First, congrats on your purchase. You purchased in a great area.

First, hire a good lawn company. If the lawn looks good now, go with whomever the previous owners used. Next choice is whatever company neighbors use. If neither of these choices seem to work for you, I highly recommend Chad's Lawn Service,

Get a pest control company. Some lawn companies will do the lawns, some won't but you'll still need interior pest control. Dean's and Massey's both do excellent jobs, so just hire the best price.

Hold off on upgrades until you're sure what you want. Be sure to check seniors against crimes before hiring anyone, even if recommended by a friend or neighbor.

When here, remember to schedule some down time. It really is possible to do too much in the beginning. Do have a neighborhood get together to meet your neighbors.

And, welcome to TV!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2015, 09:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post

First, hire a good lawn company. If the lawn looks good now, go with whomever the previous owners used. Next choice is whatever company neighbors use. If neither of these choices seem to work for you, I highly recommend Chad's Lawn Service,

Get a pest control company. Some lawn companies will do the lawns, some won't but you'll still need interior pest control. Dean's and Massey's both do excellent jobs, so just hire the best price.

Hold off on upgrades until you're sure what you want. Be sure to check seniors against crimes before hiring anyone, even if recommended by a friend or neighbor.

When here, remember to schedule some down time. It really is possible to do too much in the beginning. Do have a neighborhood get together to meet your neighbors.

And, welcome to TV!
Do you have a phone number for Chad's Lawn Service? My contract with Service Smart (Stellar) is up in a few months and I may be looking for a new lawn company.

Congratulations Trudy on your new home!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:

And, welcome to TV!
How often is it necessary for a pest control company to come out? I'm sure they would love monthly treatments, but is that necessary? I assume they spray inside or out. We will be moving down the second week of February and that is one of the first things I need to take care of.

Congratulations Trudy!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon82 View Post
How often is it necessary for a pest control company to come out? I'm sure they would love monthly treatments, but is that necessary? I assume they spray inside or out. We will be moving down the second week of February and that is one of the first things I need to take care of.

Congratulations Trudy!
Most companies will come out 2-4 times per year. Our applications are always on the exterior of the home. We have not had an interior application in the 3 years we have owned our home.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage

You only need interior spray if bugs come visiting. Ants are the biggest culprits. Monthly is usually for lawn treatment and that's usually herbicides, not pesticides.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Platinum member

Welcome Trudy!
Old 01-17-2015, 12:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Trudy, I've been reading your messages for years. Redwitch is the person who can coordinate all of the details mentioned and be your home watch person as well. She comes highly recommended.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:42 PM

welcome to the villages, Chads number is3527878303. He does a great job and is easy to get along with
Old 01-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
You only need interior spray if bugs come visiting. Ants are the biggest culprits. Monthly is usually for lawn treatment and that's usually herbicides, not pesticides.
Interior only did not work for us. We had ants in our house and Massey sprayed inside and baited. It did not work until they did the perimeter outside spray. They did that every 3 months and never had to come in the house and spray again.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default There is a contract on ours with Deans

I got a bit with our contract for sale that said Deans had been treating our new home I assumed that was termite protection. So are you saying I need to treat the lawn for bugs? I didn't know that. Also they had planted a new tangelo still has the tags on it from home depot. the upper leaves are curled and have holes does that mean it needs a spray or something? I was thinking Jobes citrus spikes as a fertilizer I seem to remember my dad using them but maybe they need a bug spray of something?
Trudy
Old 01-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Sage

Curled leaves are usually a sign of a fungus or insects or insufficient water. You can always take a leaf or two to the mastering garden clinic and they can help you out. Only use the spike fertilizers when the leaves begin to fade in color.

And, yes, our lawns are very prone to insects -- fire ants, chinch bugs, army worms and who knows what else.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I got a bit with our contract for sale that said Deans had been treating our new home I assumed that was termite protection. So are you saying I need to treat the lawn for bugs? I didn't know that. Also they had planted a new tangelo still has the tags on it from home depot. the upper leaves are curled and have holes does that mean it needs a spray or something? I was thinking Jobes citrus spikes as a fertilizer I seem to remember my dad using them but maybe they need a bug spray of something?
Trudy
Call deans they do lawn termites mowing weeding and trees and bushes if you need it. One stop shopping one bill and pay as work is done. If there is a problem out same day with a phone call while they are there
Old 01-18-2015, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I have been lurking on this site off and on for years.
Finally came down last year for three months and decided we would make this our future home. With all the info from all of you we felt well armed. We narrowed it down to three resales and was able to negotiate with much back and forth and got our first choice.
So as of March 11 we will own two houses one in Tamarind Grove and one in Seattle. It is a Lily with a golf cart garage looking at water so a private lot which was our #1 must have as I am a loud talker and didn't want to feel I was in another persons space.
It will sit empty till we sell our house in Seattle maybe even a little longer as we don't think we would come down in the summer. All suggestions for my check list of what to do are greatly appreciated.

You guys are great
Trudy and Larry

Welcome Trudy and Larry. I KNEW you'd find just what you wanted.

I hope that you quickly sell your other home and join us.

May I suggest Redwitch or BkCunningham as your homewatch persons? They are both honest and will watch out for you and be able to answer or fix certain things.

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-18-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

Welcome Home! Yes, great location. Congratulations.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.