We had no idea that there was such a big lake right above TV

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Us Northerners love to think of lake activities and dream about a lake in Florida with all the warm weather BUT REMEMBER YOU CAN NOT SWIM IN LAKES IN FLORIDA!!! any bit of water could be the stomping grounds of a gators!!!! Just felt I needed to say it.

We know that now. Never too many warnings on the alligators, that's for sure. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You can see Gary Morse's house!
Where does he live?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Us Northerners love to think of lake activities and dream about a lake in Florida with all the warm weather BUT REMEMBER YOU CAN NOT SWIM IN LAKES IN FLORIDA!!! any bit of water could be the stomping grounds of a gators!!!! Just felt I needed to say it.
People swim with gators all the time and there are very few incidents. Yes, a boy lost his arm recently, but that was a very, very rare event. Gators generally have no interest in some as big as a fully grown human. Gators are fairly docile and non aggressive. They eat something like once or twice a month. Still, I wouldn't do it. I'm a northerner and gators scare me. But, I've worked at golf courses where there were gators and they never bothered anyone. Poisonous snakes have always been more of a concern for me.
Like someone said many of the beaches on the lakes here are "netted" to prevent gators from getting into those areas.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

went to Gator Joes' for lunch last time we were over. Half way through, a large group came in who were bikers. When we left, we saw about 40 harleys parked up. Never heard them arrive, they were so quiet!!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Now, actually, we've spent many, many hours on Lake Weir and never have we seen any gators. It was famous once for a 17 foot gator nicknamed Joe. In fact it was Joe's fame that led the FBI to finding Ma Barker in Ocklwaha.

Anyway, Lake Weir does have a swimming area by the park and another on a beach at the entrance to Sunset Harbor, accessible only by boat.

Lake Griffin is also lacking in gators. Believe it or not the gator population died off due to lack of vitamin B. Someone introduced fish that the gators loved and don't have any vitamin B. They were called 'zombie gators'!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Where does he live?

His home is listed in sumterpa.com like all of ours.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySooners View Post
Now, actually, we've spent many, many hours on Lake Weir and never have we seen any gators. It was famous once for a 17 foot gator nicknamed Joe. In fact it was Joe's fame that led the FBI to finding Ma Barker in Ocklwaha.

Anyway, Lake Weir does have a swimming area by the park and another on a beach at the entrance to Sunset Harbor, accessible only by boat.

Lake Griffin is also lacking in gators. Believe it or not the gator population died off due to lack of vitamin B. Someone introduced fish that the gators loved and don't have any vitamin B. They were called 'zombie gators'!
My father-in-law lived in Ockalawa a few blocks from the lake. He had gators wander in his backyard in the past so he ended up putting up a fence to keep the dog safe. He passed away a few years ago, so not sure if things have changed.

For us, we would rather spend our time up north in the lake, and our time on the golf cart down here. If my husband gets the itch to fish there are plenty of charters he can go on down here. Although -we both love the water! Kind of like putting my mind on mellow - it is so relaxing on the lake.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySooners View Post
.....Anyway, Lake Weir does have a swimming area by the park and another on a beach at the entrance to Sunset Harbor, accessible only by boat.......
There’s also a very nice beach at the south eastern end of Lake Weir that’s run by the Kiwanis and open to the public. The water is clear with a sandy bottom making it easy to spot any reptile should one be around which is unlikely because that’s not where they like to hang out.

I sometimes go there during the week when it’s usually quiet and put my beach chair under the boardwalk shade with my feet in the water and a good book to read. Very relaxing with only a few other people around.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.