Palm Tree leaves

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2015, 09:14 PM
Default Palm Tree leaves

Why do the palm trees on main roads, have so many dead leaves hanging down?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy G View Post
Why do the palm trees on main roads, have so many dead leaves hanging down?
Those are called Bearded Palms. Leaving the brown "beards" hanging there is supposed to make the Palm tree more stable in high winds.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Glad I stopped in. All this time I was thinking they were cabbage palms, which we ALWAYS trimmed up. I'll take a better look when I'm next out and maybe stop feeling they look a little ca-ca. Thanks...
Old 07-08-2015, 07:26 AM

Thank you for the info, but they do look a little unkempt.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

../

What do you think about the palm trees around the villages?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

They appear as nature intended and are beautiful to my eye. They are also a haven for our wildlife.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Read Palm rats
Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovey2 View Post
Glad I stopped in. All this time I was thinking they were cabbage palms, which we ALWAYS trimmed up. I'll take a better look when I'm next out and maybe stop feeling they look a little ca-ca. Thanks...
You are correct, the vast majority of the palms along TV thoroughfares ARE sabal palmettos, or, as you say they are sometimes called cabbage palms. To my knowledge there is no palm species known as "bearded palm".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Those are called Bearded Palms. Leaving the brown "beards" hanging there is supposed to make the Palm tree more stable in high winds.
Sorry, but that makes NO sense. Leaving the dead skirt, or "beard" on the sabal palm or any other palm would only result in an increased surface area to catch additional wind, thereby making the palm LESS stable in high winds. That's why, when a hurricane is known to be on the way, many palms will be "hurricane cut" by removing all but the very top two or three fronds so the high winds won't bend the trunks, or worse yet totally uproot the tree. The skirts left on palms in TV are simply the developer not wanting to spend the money for the continual pruning/trimming. Personally, I prefer the dead skirts instead of the over-pruned palms that are left looking like pineapples.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL

Last edited by Serenoa; 07-10-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Hmmmm, yeah I've been looking at them and have now convinced myself the fronds are different. I don't know. I just know we always kept ours trimmed up...not to near bald, but neat. Being on the water they were a haven for rats if not and they surely were filled with roaches in that dead part. I didn't lose one of them in Hurricane Charlie, but I did lose a huge carrot wood tree, and some of my chickee hut, and lots of neighbors lost their pool cages (not me thankfully).
My husband always says they aren't trimmed because of the expense, and we actually heard from somewhere (maybe read on here) that Grandmother Morse liked them looking full, so they won't trim them in her honor.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post
You are correct, the vast majority of the palms along TV thoroughfares ARE sabal palmettos, or, as you say they are sometimes called cabbage palms. To my knowledge there is no palm species known as "bearded palm".

Sorry, but that makes NO sense. Leaving the dead skirt, or "beard" on the sabal palm or any other palm would only result in an increased surface area to catch additional wind, thereby making the palm LESS stable in high winds. That's why, when a hurricane is known to be on the way, many palms will be "hurricane cut" by removing all but the very top two or three fronds so the high winds won't bend the trunks, or worse yet totally uproot the tree. The skirts left on palms in TV are simply the developer not wanting to spend the money for the continual pruning/trimming. Personally, I prefer the dead skirts instead of the over-pruned palms that are left looking like pineapples.
You can learn about this tree by watching this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZkcGrndA0
Old 07-10-2015, 03:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Enjoyed the video, thank you.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
You can learn about this tree by watching this video.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyZkcGrndA0
Thanks for the video Steve! Here is another one along the same lines. Be sure to watch all the way for the Alternate Ending.

So much for ragging on the developer again....

How to Prune a Cabbage Palm - YouTube
Old 07-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenoa View Post

The Developer does not pay for trimming the palm trees.
Old 07-11-2015, 04:38 AM
Soaring Eagle member

[QUOTE=Bogie Shooter;1085185]The Developer does not pay for trimming the palm trees.[/Q

Why do you keep quoting facts when people so love ad hominem attacks on "The Developer"?
Old 07-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

After looking at a few YouTube videos last night I'm pretty sure I saw a few Livistona chinensis (Chinese fan palm) & Washingtonia robusta palms along the streets & thoroughfares of The Villages, and they both would also develop skirts of dead fronds if left untrimmed. But still, the vast majority of the fan-leafed palms are the Florida native, sabal palmetto.

Sorry if I was mistaken on who pays the bill for the landscape maintenance, but regardless, I would still think they're left natural mainly to save money.

east central Illinois, St. Louis, Baton Rouge, Houston, Atlanta, Birmingham, AL
Closed Thread

Tags
palm, leaves, dead, hanging, roads, tree, trees, main

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.