We need honest answers.

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Sage
Default Re: We need honest answers.

Hand - great post

Pili - We bought last April. A resale with bond paid. $5000 deposit until completion date. So if a new home with 20% down is scary for you, why not buy an "almost new"? New is nice, but the bond amounts are scary, and closing costs are higher.

We looked at a bunch of other communities, it is not an exaggeration to say I fell in love with TV. No other community offered golf-cart driving to groceries, entertainment, shopping, medical appointments, etc. No other communnity offered free entertainment 365 days a year. The thing we noticed most about TV ... everyone is always smiling. I believe that there is just no comparison with other retirement communities.

We will be down next week and seeing our Villa for the first time. :hot:
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

YOU WANT AN HONEST ANSWER???
Come to The Villages .....It will change your whole life...Lots of new friends, Lots of new things to do, Lots of places to go, Lots of activities , Lots of entertainment (movies, broadway shows , polo, softball, bowling,and have you ever heard of Pickle Ball..) Its a Wonderful place ....A DISNEYLAND for adults........
Will you live longer, I doubt it but it will seems longer....
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm a Brit ..so really the world is my oyster !! I looked at France, Spain , Italy , Portugal, Cyprus , north africa, south africa, australia ...you name it ...I went there looking for the perfect retirement place !! I found it !!!

It's called The Villages - unfortunately due to crap laws I can't spend more than 6 months in any year there - Uncle Sam don't want me !! I don't wanna work (done that) don't want social (got loadsa money) don't want medical (got insurance) got half a million bucks on ivestment USA side, pay my taxes (property, income etc.) but don't get any benefits like Homestead or property tax protection !! (I pay top dollar for everything - including having to pay to renew my drivers licence every six months AND having to pay a fine for late renewal ...boy does that p...s me off ) I'd be better off calling myself Hosee or something and swimming the Rio Grande - I'd get treated better !!!

USA retirees ! Count yourselves absolutely blessed compared to other folks !!!
Old 10-17-2007, 02:39 PM
Eternal Member

MIKE1946 - c'mon, you can recover all those extra expenses by shopping in the USA! With the pound and the dollar where they are, prices here must look sooooo low.
We went to London last year and were shocked at how much things cost! Fish & chips, 2 beers, $80 US for 2 of us!!!! $100 shoes here, 100 pounds there!! Everthing is about double!!!

Old 10-17-2007, 03:30 PM
20taffy01luv

Hi B26 Fan
My husband and I moved to TV in June of 1990 - it took very little thinking about and we did so while taking early retirement. We have never regretted it. Yes, traffic is heavy "in season" - yes, the former country-like amosphere has disappeared - yes, the lines can be long ------ but, I cannot imagine living anyplace else! Never did we dream we would be living this lifestyle in retirement.

I might mention that if you wanted to avoid assessments and bonds, you might like to consider a resale in the Lake County portion of the town of Lady Lake. DelMar, ElCortez, Mira Mesa, have beautiful homes and is a great, convenient area. Think about it.....and then come join us and have the time of your life!
Old 10-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Veteran member

Mike, The Brits and the Canadians all seem to have the same complaint. They can only stay in the US 6 months. I've wondered why some don't fly into Mexico, change their name and walk across the border. The US will take wonderful care of you and you can stay forever, and the benefits are better than a US citizen receives.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:21 AM

Thank you all! The more I read your comments the more excited I get about TV. We are thinking about a resale because it will have upgrades and the bond may be partially paid or completely paid. I've been looking at resales and I don't think they are over priced as some postings have mentioned. We have to take into consideration all the upgrades. We'll be visiting TV next May so we'll be able to make comparisons. Someone mentioned about other communities (Pringle for example) being in the middle of nowhere. We definetely don't want that.

There was a mention of looking in Lake Co. (Lady Lake, El Cortes, and others) aren't those areas outside TV? Just curious.

Again, thanks a mil. You're all such a wonderful bunch I can't wait to meet some residents of TV.

Pili
Old 10-18-2007, 12:01 PM
20taffy01luv

Hi Pili
No, DelMar, CC Hills, El Cortez, etc, are all very definitely in TV. DelMar was the first village built west of Hwy 27/441 - look how TVs have grown! There are also many lovely homes east of the Hwy, both site-built and manufactured homes. Good luck in your choice. Be happy.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdees
Mike, The Brits and the Canadians all seem to have the same complaint. They can only stay in the US 6 months. I've wondered why some don't fly into Mexico, change their name and walk across the border. The US will take wonderful care of you and you can stay forever, and the benefits are better than a US citizen receives.
Mike1946

OK, here is my plan. We'll be driving to TV from Canada next week. Once we get settled, I'll take bus to Mexico, and re-enter the U.S. as Maria Taco Hernandez. That way I can live in TV forever and forever. Mr. Wallethead can return to Canada and send me money.
Sounds good to me.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM

It sounds sad, but it is true. This is the only country in the world that does not take taker of its borders. :dontknow:
Old 10-20-2007, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Maria Taco,

It will work. Take Mr. Wallethead with you and you both can enjoy. Ah, such a deal!!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 AM

Hi if you are interested in living cheap but in a big home go elsewhere. IF YOU WANT TO PLAY AND HAVE A GOOD TIME THE VILLAGES ARE FOR YOU. You might want to consider scaling back on the cost of your home if you want to play in the villages.

Sales in the Villages may be down but sales outside the Villages are at a standstill. There are homes in Harbor hills that have been on the market for 2 years.

Hope that helps you.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1946
I'm a Brit ..so really the world is my oyster !! I looked at France, Spain , Italy , Portugal, Cyprus , north africa, south africa, australia ...you name it ...I went there looking for the perfect retirement place !! I found it !!!

It's called The Villages - unfortunately due to crap laws I can't spend more than 6 months in any year there - Uncle Sam don't want me !! I don't wanna work (done that) don't want social (got loadsa money) don't want medical (got insurance) got half a million bucks on ivestment USA side, pay my taxes (property, income etc.) but don't get any benefits like Homestead or property tax protection !! (I pay top dollar for everything - including having to pay to renew my drivers licence every six months AND having to pay a fine for late renewal ...boy does that p...s me off ) I'd be better off calling myself Hosee or something and swimming the Rio Grande - I'd get treated better !!!

USA retirees ! Count yourselves absolutely blessed compared to other folks !!!

Are you single? What if you married an American? I think that will let you stay here as long as you'd like. I've read there are loads of single female vultures that frequent Katie Belle's.

Or if single, marry me and fund an interest-free mortgage for me, and we'll call it even! ;D (If any Feds are reading this post, I'm just kidding. :redface
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.