Welcome New Yorkers

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2023, 08:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They have to make room for new arrivals.
They can't afford the $500 a night free hotel rooms.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:41 AM
Default Go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmrk32 View Post
While this may be a little off-topic The sentiment against New Yorkers has been stated often enough in this thread that I feel the need to comment. Please do not bash us. Take us as individuals the same way you would want us to take you. Both good and bad, there is no other place like New York. And that goes for the people too. If you want a straight answer you will get it from a New Yorker. We will not blow smoke, be politically correct Or use phony southern gentility, telling you what we think you want to hear. By imposing yourStereotypical beliefs upon us, you make us angry. You insult us and wonder why we lash out once we have had enough. If you would keep your snarky comments to yourself and get to know us first, you might get along better with us as with any other group of people. Your views are prejudicial which is no longer tolerated in society. When all is said and done, no matter where I live I will always be a New YorkerAnd I am very very proud of that. So if you wanna make some snarky comments about my post go right ahead because another beauty of being a New Yorker as we simply do not care what you think

If that is the way you feel, please explain, why are you here. Just incase you were wondering, we don’t care what you think, say or do as long as you leave in the spring. Also please leave your bratty grandkids up north.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxdog View Post
If that is the way you feel, please explain, why are you here. Just incase you were wondering, we don’t care what you think, say or do as long as you leave in the spring. Also please leave your bratty grandkids up north.
Well said
Old 02-01-2023, 09:04 AM

New York City has half of the state's population and dictates the blue politics to the remaining 99% of the state. That drives out the red people who can afford to move. They come here, with their retirement funds and their RED politics. They leave overbearing government, and do not want that here. They leave stupid high taxes, and don't want them here. They leave high crime, and do not want it here. They leave to find like minded people.
With TV being 90% RED, those who move here feel welcome.
Please stop using NYC as the basis for all those when move here. Those in NYC love the politics, love the overcrowding, love the city... and they stay right there.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:09 AM

Welcome to Florida, but if you are running from high taxes, high cost of living and crime, PLEASE reconsider how you vote in all elections. Don't try and turn Florida blue, or you will have exactly what you left!
Old 02-01-2023, 09:17 AM
Gold member

Politics is a reason people are moving from NY to FL.
The VAST majority of land mass (counties) in NYS are Republican. Unfortunately, NYC is overwhelmingly liberal. The entire state (sans NYC) can vote to control taxes, or get tough on crime, however as NYC votes so goes the State. This is just one more reason many NY'ers are leaving NY, and a reason FL has a larger population than NY.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
While this may be a little off-topic The sentiment against New Yorkers has been stated often enough in this thread that I feel the need to comment. Please do not bash us. Take us as individuals the same way you would want us to take you. Both good and bad, there is no other place like New York. And that goes for the people too. If you want a straight answer you will get it from a New Yorker. We will not blow smoke, be politically correct Or use phony southern gentility, telling you what we think you want to hear. By imposing yourStereotypical beliefs upon us, you make us angry. You insult us and wonder why we lash out once we have had enough. If you would keep your snarky comments to yourself and get to know us first, you might get along better with us as with any other group of people. Your views are prejudicial which is no longer tolerated in society. When all is said and done, no matter where I live I will always be a New YorkerAnd I am very very proud of that. So if you wanna make some snarky comments about my post go right ahead because another beauty of being a New Yorker as we simply do not care what you think
You describe a NY that was. I am a native NY'er and lived there over fifty years. The past decade has been hard on NY, and it seems to be get5ting worse. We need a Koch or Giuliani to save the city. A Moynihan to replace Schumer.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:34 AM

Did I say I was up there? Because I am not. I am thinking or moving there but if I am surrounded by such ignorance I might change my mind. I do not have Grand children, Bratty or otherwise So another stupid assumption on your part. I know it’s late in the game but get an education, for yourself and everyone else around you
Old 02-01-2023, 09:41 AM
Veteran member

They really need to make NYC its own state as it doesn't mirror or align with Upstate NY or Long Island.

We also need Florida to secede as we’re not voting ourselves out of this and Judges don't want to deal with suspicious results.
I hope I said that without crossing the forbidden line. It's like a juggling act.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM

I couldn’t agree with you more. I lived there for 57 years and have only been out for seven. Hopefully it hasn’t changed that much and I’ve been back many times and didn’t really see a difference. It seems like some of the people down there in the villages would argue the origins of a pimple! I wrote a respectable postExplaining a New Yorkers position but absolutely everything must be attacked or so it seems
Old 02-01-2023, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
You say "Take us as individuals the same way you would want us to take you"...

And then you cop to pretty much every stereotype that people complain about...

All while using stereotypes about "Southerners"...

"If you want a straight answer you will get it from a New Yorker. We will not blow smoke, be politically correct Or use phony southern gentility, telling you what we think you want to hear. By imposing yourStereotypical beliefs upon us, you make us angry."

-Tom Petty
Old 02-01-2023, 10:20 AM
Default Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Wow what a dumb comparison. You're comparing problems with a very small city (geographically), in a small state (geographically) to the entirety of a somewhat large state (geographically).

NYC has approximately 9 million people in it, over around 306 square miles. The last count was approximately 29,000 people per square mile.

The State of Florida has approximately 22 million people in it, over around 66,000 square miles. Florida has only around 406 people per square mile as of last count.

Of course crime will be higher in one of the most densely-populated cities in the country, than in the entirety of a large state that is primarily rural, other than the coasts and very small sections of inland.

Manhattan is only 22 square miles, and has almost 2 million people in it, and at last count was approximately 74,000 people per square mile.

The Villages is around 6 square miles, has only 150,000 people in it, around 2800 people per square mile.

Why anyone would even think to compare the two is pretty insane. Taking such comparisons seriously is even more insane.

People are leaving the State of New York for a multitude of reasons.
1. High taxes, especially within NYC, which has borough taxes, county taxes, and state taxes, plus high sales tax and usage taxes.
2. Anyone renting within "the city" with multiple wage-earners - and losing one person's wage, likely has to move out due to no longer being able to afford the rent. But in the city, there is rent control - which means they are paying much less than whoever moves in to their old place - and what they can now afford, doesn't exist for new tenants anywhere in the city.
3. Winters - this isn't a new thing, people have moved south due to northern winters - ever since there've been people born and raised in the north.
4. Politics - this is actually not common. There are places in New York that have a very strong 'red' representation, so if that was the big reason, they could've just moved to a red pocket. Or a neighboring state, such as Ohio, which is controlled primarily by Republicans on every level of state government.
5. The expectation of career opportunities - many people come down here thinking they'll get a better job with more money. This isn't true, but it's a reason why they come.
6. Retirement - another "not a new thing." People have been flocking to Florida to retire from New York since the 1950's. The difference between the 1950's and now is - there are more people. More people = more people retiring = more people moving.
How exactly do you arrive at the villages being 6 square miles? Must be that new math!!!
Old 02-01-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Wow what a dumb comparison. You're comparing problems with a very small city (geographically), in a small state (geographically) to the entirety of a somewhat large state (geographically).

NYC has approximately 9 million people in it, over around 306 square miles. The last count was approximately 29,000 people per square mile.

The State of Florida has approximately 22 million people in it, over around 66,000 square miles. Florida has only around 406 people per square mile as of last count.

Of course crime will be higher in one of the most densely-populated cities in the country, than in the entirety of a large state that is primarily rural, other than the coasts and very small sections of inland.

Manhattan is only 22 square miles, and has almost 2 million people in it, and at last count was approximately 74,000 people per square mile.

The Villages is around 6 square miles, has only 150,000 people in it, around 2800 people per square mile.

Why anyone would even think to compare the two is pretty insane. Taking such comparisons seriously is even more insane.

People are leaving the State of New York for a multitude of reasons.
1. High taxes, especially within NYC, which has borough taxes, county taxes, and state taxes, plus high sales tax and usage taxes.
2. Anyone renting within "the city" with multiple wage-earners - and losing one person's wage, likely has to move out due to no longer being able to afford the rent. But in the city, there is rent control - which means they are paying much less than whoever moves in to their old place - and what they can now afford, doesn't exist for new tenants anywhere in the city.
3. Winters - this isn't a new thing, people have moved south due to northern winters - ever since there've been people born and raised in the north.
4. Politics - this is actually not common. There are places in New York that have a very strong 'red' representation, so if that was the big reason, they could've just moved to a red pocket. Or a neighboring state, such as Ohio, which is controlled primarily by Republicans on every level of state government.
5. The expectation of career opportunities - many people come down here thinking they'll get a better job with more money. This isn't true, but it's a reason why they come.
6. Retirement - another "not a new thing." People have been flocking to Florida to retire from New York since the 1950's. The difference between the 1950's and now is - there are more people. More people = more people retiring = more people moving.

Word salad + you don't know how to use demograchic data.

NYC has a higher PER CAPITA (per person) crime rates than Florida.

That's what counts.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:32 AM

You don’t like it so much when it’s pointed at you, do you? That’s exactly the way we feel
Old 02-01-2023, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
I would bet most of these commenters never set foot in NYC or even NY State which has a whole different vibe and attitude then NYC. One poster complains about the content of the supposed media called the Villages News. Well this board is pretty similar when it comes to certain topics.
Don't be too quick to make assumptions about other people making assumptions...

I've been to both as my family originated in NYC (after fleeing Eastern Europe at the turn of the last century). My parents left Brooklyn in the 50's and moved to the DC area. But my mother's extended family remained in NYC and upstate NY. We visited quite often...

Several of my wife's cousins live in Albany (which we've been to, several times...)

My father's brothers moved to San Jose, and most of that family still resides in CA... Why? I couldn't tell you... Well, I could, but I don't feel like being accessed another "vacation"...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
yorkers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.