Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling.

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM
Default Re: Well, this is a real mystery. It is really troubling.

Along the same lines, Realtors get shafted too.. by ad placements... A lot of realtors have quite advertising in the SUN and started their own retirement community magazine. Now The Villages delivers their inserts to the boxes and puts them on top to try to trump the effort.

Old 11-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP
EXCUSE ME???? Does our American Constitution NOT give us the right to Freedom of Speech and Freedom of the Press??? If you don't call not allowing ads that might be "competition" to them a breach of this freedom...A Freedom that our forefathers fought and died for, then I guess I don't know what Un-American is.

Everyone is right in saying people have the RIGHT to do business or not do business with whomever they please, but if you're going to own, run, print and sell a community newspaper then you should let it be just that....Community...and not a dictatorship. "King of the Hill" was fun to play as kids but it's not fun when you're trying to pay good money to place a legitimate ad for your home for sale and you're not the King :joke:
Yes, but freedom of the press does NOT mean that you have a right to force an owner of a paper what YOU want them to print. It is their bizness to run. Now, if you would like to start your own paper, then freedom of the press will protect you in the same manner. Remember, I not not agreeing with what their choices might be, but I am defending their right to make them, wether we deem them positive or negative.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Ithink that if, oh nevermind.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:59 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles59
Yes, but freedom of the press does NOT mean that you have a right to force an owner of a paper what YOU want them to print. It is their bizness to run. Now, if you would like to start your own paper, then freedom of the press will protect you in the same manner. Remember, I not not agreeing with what their choices might be, but I am defending their right to make them, wether we deem them positive or negative.
I agree with muscles 59--but take it one crucially important step further. I swear by what has evolved as the good old American tool called BOYCOTT. I understand the point made by an earlier post on this thread about not wanting to step on the toes of the advertisers in The Daily Sun. The way to handle this is to let these advertisers know what the boycott is about, and then the ball is in their side of the court to decide how--and where--they want to spend their advertising dollars knowing that x number of anticipated readers no longer are. Yes, as muscles 59 says, we cannot force a newspaper owner what ads to print, but if he/she will not print a TOTV ad, no matter what the reason, it is that newspaper owner's right to reject the ad--and at the same time it is our right to choose to buy that newspaper or another--or no newspaper at all. IMHO....
Old 11-08-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles59
OK Muscles...I get your point....BUT...I guess we'll just have to agree to disgree. Ok?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:56 AM
Veteran member

It's interesting to read the comments on this thread regarding the Sun and it's apparent bias. Now maybe those complaining may realize what a lot of us feel when we read the major newspapers in the majority of the US cities that are left of Dennis Kucinich. And the major networks who cleanse the news and broadcast what THEY want us to hear, not what the actual news is. I for one enjoy the Sun because I'm sick and tired of hearing the biased news in the main stream media. That's the news or lack thereof that can hurt us and the country. Not the nits the Sun is involved in. For me it's a refreshing change.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:54 AM
Veteran member

[color=purple]Where are those TOTV T-shirts, golf shirts and sweatshirts? I want ORANGE or LIME GREEN and a button down or zip up collar. That's one way to get the word out...and to easily locate each other at gatherings. Don't just use "TOTV", you need to put the entire website address on the items.

Another way to advertise....Talk Host, if you're so inclined, you could paint TOTV's website address all over your golf cart so it's visible for all to see. Or, have Russ (I think it's Russ) create one of those screens for your buggy.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:59 AM
Gold member

bestmickey - :bigthumbsup:

Hyacinth Bucket
Old 11-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmickey
[color=purple]Where are those TOTV T-shirts, golf shirts and sweatshirts? I want ORANGE or LIME GREEN and a button down or zip up collar. That's one way to get the word out...and to easily locate each other at gatherings. Don't just use "TOTV", you need to put the entire website address on the items.

Another way to advertise....Talk Host, if you're so inclined, you could paint TOTV's website address all over your golf cart so it's visible for all to see. Or, have Russ (I think it's Russ) create one of those screens for your buggy.
We are in the process now of getting those shirts ready.
In the event you don't think that we have used other forms of advertising, I can tell you this. I personally have distributed 10,000 printed fliers to individuals in the past six months. We have placed 3 X 5 cards in dozens of business around the area. We have driven 'round and 'round with huge signs on trailers. There have been TOTV signs on my golf cart for nearly a year. We tried visiting with people at some events downtown, but were told by the Villages to leave. We went to the "cruise in" events and talked to people, took pictures and posted them here. We have gone to parades, taken pictures and posted them here. A reporter from Ocala "Style" magazine did an interview with me and took pictures about 4 months ago. They said they were all enthused about the story. I have never heard anyting since then. They said they were all enthused about the story.

I would say that I personally have invested well over 600 hours in personal contact with Villages residents promoting the site.

I really appreciate your suggestions and want you to know that we have been making a major effort for a year.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:29 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host
We are in the process now of getting those shirts ready.
In the event you don't think that we have used other forms of advertising, I can tell you this. I personally have distributed 10,000 printed fliers to individuals in the past six months. We have placed 3 X 5 cards in dozens of business around the area. We have driven 'round and 'round with huge signs on trailers. There have been TOTV signs on my golf cart for nearly a year. We tried visiting with people at some events downtown, but were told by the Villages to leave. We went to the "cruise in" events and talked to people, took pictures and posted them here. We have gone to parades, taken pictures and posted them here. A reporter from Ocala "Style" magazine did an interview with me and took pictures about 4 months ago. They said they were all enthused about the story. I have never heard anyting since then. They said they were all enthused about the story.

I would say that I personally have invested well over 600 hours in personal contact with Villages residents promoting the site.

I really appreciate your suggestions and want you to know that we have been making a major effort for a year.
Jan? My introduction to TOTV was through your showing up at a Villages Computer Club meeting on July 27, 2007. That seemed to go over well. Maybe you should try the VCC again in a few months? The snowbirds are back more or less from the number of people showing up at the VCC meetings I attend.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM

Have you thought of advertising in "The Reporter." It comes out every Thursday and distributed widely in the Villages. They might even do a story on the fact that the Daily Sun won't let you advertise. Also, the POA might put something in their paper to reach people with your website.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Gold member

Hi,

I think the idea of a feature story in other newspapers would be great. If that doesn't work members of TOTV, if they choose to, can write a letter to the Letters to the Editor column. Once again, we haven't had our closing yet, date unknown, and I am assuming these papers have such a feature.

The above two are free ways of getting the word out and publicizing TOTV. The responsibility would fall on the members of TOTV and also an administrator would need to be interviewed.

From my local experience, where I live, there are writers on a paper who do feature stories. Perhaps a member of TOTV could contact them and inform them of all the positive reasons why an article should be written. That is how we publicize events, at no cost.

If there are other members of TOTV who would like to do this, I would be willing to write letters, we could start a new topic, and post ideas there.

As far as mentioning what happened with the Sun, I would definitely leave that out. The focus should be on TOTV and inform the public of all the positive attributes of TOTV.

Once again, IMHO.

Hyacinth Bucket ( I don't think Our Dear Hyacinth was ever humble )

Old 11-08-2007, 11:54 PM
Veteran member

TalkHost, since I'm not yet living in TV, I hadn't realized how much you've already done to get the word out. I've two last suggestions, that will require support from other TOTV members. I for one would be willing to send you a $10 or $20 check in order to allow you to do a one page mass mailing to all residents of TV. I have no idea what this would cost nor whether or not enough members would support the effort.

Perhaps you could start a new thread telling why you want/need to do this mailing, explain TV's Daily Sun refusal to run your ad and the fact "...We tried visiting with people at some events downtown, but were told by the Villages to leave..." and ask for donations. I'm a member of another board who asked for members' support to keep the board going and they got a very good response.

I'd even be willing to instead let you use the money to go directly to supporting this site. While we all love free, I would personally pay $10 or $20 annually to keep this site operational. I've learned much from the members here and greatly value the information. The info will save me many dollars (and much grief) in the long run. An annual fee for TOTV may ultimately end up being a necessity. My fear is that The Villages developer will get to all of the business owners who currently advertise here that if they continue to advertise on this site, they will be blocked from advertising in the Daily Sun. The latter likely provides them with more exposure, so TOTV could suffer. You shortly may have no alternative than to charge a fee and allow access to only those people who provide financial support to keep TOTV operational.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 AM

Is there a financial link between the "Developer" and the Daily Sun? As an future TV resident, I knew upfront that the DS only printed "Happy News" which is why I was happy to find TOTV. So many points of view on so many subjects generates a more balance view.

What is the name of the developer? Is this a publicly traded company? Who is Gary?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:32 AM
Veteran member

Listen to youselves, way too many of you nonresidents I'm sure. Are you planning to overthrow an evil dictator? I don't think so. This is absurd. Are we here to retire or start an insurrection. Relax, enjoy life, golf, dance or whatever and if you don't or can't enjoy retirement, I'm sure there are many other "islands of opportunity" awaiting your conquest. My suggestion is to move on................and be happy elsewhere.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.