Were getting the short end at grocery stores

Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by affald View Post
People saying, "don't let the door hit you on the way out" and other snide remarks don't really add anything or answer the questions.

If taxes, utilities, wages are lower here... then why are groceries higher.

Are there some monopolistic forces at play or is it simply economy of scale?

A reply from someone with real knowledge would be appreciated.

Long ago someone said the area is monopolistically controlled, but I forget the details.
Real knowledge here?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Groceries are cheaper. What about weather? Crime? Golf? Lifestyle? If you don’t care about lifestyle choices and only care about cheap groceries, don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
I am not sure why people think that the price of groceries should be higher due to the amenities we get here. The food prices benefit the grocery stores not the developer. When you see the prices in other states and other parts of this state it would be hard to believe that they are not gouging us a bit.

Publix - Weekly Ad - Ocala
Old 10-06-2017, 08:42 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

I continue to be amazed at how intolerant some posters are of someone's observation on different subjects. Why the necessity of demeaning the person for making an accurate observation? It discourages folks from posting informative information. Food is more expensive here. It does not mean that the person should go back to the place where they were referencing. What would be a good response was someone explaining why it is more expensive. Explaining that Publix is cleaner and pays employees better may not be the correct answer since we likely do not know wages and cleanliness of the original posters area.
Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 PM

I agree...why should someone be demeaned for an accurate assessment of food prices? I also have noted that dentists are more expensive as are veterinarians. i am sure I will be flamed for this observation...and I don't see what that has to do with taxes, amenities etc. My auto insuranc is higher here as well and when I questioed Geico I was told it was because of the high number of accidents and the number of uninsured motorists. We will see what flaming I get....
Old 10-06-2017, 09:10 PM

Turner Falls MA? You're comparing Turner Falls MA to the Villages? Did you even google Turner Falls MA? Population of less than 5000 compared to, what, 116k? Have you ever been to western MA? Sometimes I wonder about the participants on this site.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 PM

My grocery bill is usually about 25% higher here but just as bad is the fact that the fruits, vegetables and meats are not as high quality either so we loose two ways.
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 PM

Wow, I'm surprised anyone has the nerve to even make an observation like this - given the snarky responses. I can't imagine what some of these posters would be like if conversing in person. Do they jump on the other person because they mention that the cost of groceries seem high here? Where is the give and take with these folks? Where is the open-minded discussion?

Sure glad most people here in The Villages are not the "my way or the highway" types that frequent these boards. Instead of a normal discussion, here it's "don't let the door hit you" or "stop whining".

And, my two cents about the groceries. The produce here is horrible. Clementines were mouldy inside less than 24 hours from purchase and out of a couple dozen heads of lettuce, I could not find even ONE that was not brown in parts. This was this week at Sumter Winn Dixie. Looking forward to trying the new Aldis and Wal-Mart.

Sent from my KFTHWA using Tapatalk HD
Old 10-07-2017, 01:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybowron View Post
I am not sure why people think that the price of groceries should be higher due to the amenities we get here. The food prices benefit the grocery stores not the developer. When you see the prices in other states and other parts of this state it would be hard to believe that they are not gouging us a bit.

Publix - Weekly Ad - Ocala
But I think her point was that yes, groceries are higher than somewhere else, but there are many other things that are lower/better than that same somewhere else. She's not saying you should pay more for groceries. She's not saying that's why you pay more for groceries. She's just saying pick your poison. I'll take the higher grocery prices in view of the fact that I love the rest of it that I didn't have back wherever.
Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 AM
Email Reported As Spam

It is difficult to compare prices with any precision in one state /region. etc to another because is a moving target.

However we ( my wife and I) don't live there we live here and here is our only concern as to taxes, fees, food prices, etc

In our view the responsibility rests with us as consumers. My wife has always carefully charted out what is available at every store clothing, grocery etc. Its pains taking work and it requires continual observation and going to more than one store to shop.

Personal Best Regards:
Old 10-07-2017, 05:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We shop sales. Generally we shop Aldi for fresh veggies and salads, Publix for BOGOs, Winn Dixie for frozen vegetarian products, and Walmart for staples. We buy the gas cards from Publix. The sales papers and knowing the stores determines the day to day purchases.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:50 AM

How about that state income tax? That taking a bit out of you too? If living in the North is so great, why did you move here?

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service

Senior Firearms Instructor,
Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
Glynco, GA

Last edited by Wing-nut2; 10-07-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Gee and Hannaford owns Winn Dixie

Weekly Flyer | Hannaford
Old 10-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

It's very difficult to have a discussion on this forum without idiots taking pot shots at you. So many have gone to limiting or no posts because of it. So the quality of any topic suffers.

Grocery prices are much higher here in the Villages. I believe about 25% higher. And the quality of most fresh items is terrible. As an experiment I took my Publics grocery receipt and went to my former store web site which has an online shopping list tool which allows specific store selection for item availability and one weeks list was 18% and the following week was 23% less. A bit of a challenge to compare because sale items were different, and we all select sale items when we are actually in the store. That is why I believe the real difference is closer to 25%. And I can guarantee the quality of fresh items is significantly better in my former store.

Doesn't mean other things are more or less or I want to move for better groceries, just does create a question as to why. In my case it's not possible it's wages or real estate. Maybe transportation? Maybe competition? But it sure makes you wonder.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
It's very difficult to have a discussion on this forum without idiots taking pot shots at you. So many have gone to limiting or no posts because of it. So the quality of any topic suffers.

Grocery prices are much higher here in the Villages. I believe about 25% higher. And the quality of most fresh items is terrible. As an experiment I took my Publics grocery receipt and went to my former store web site which has an online shopping list tool which allows specific store selection for item availability and one weeks list was 18% and the following week was 23% less. A bit of a challenge to compare because sale items were different, and we all select sale items when we are actually in the store. That is why I believe the real difference is closer to 25%. And I can guarantee the quality of fresh items is significantly better in my former store.

Doesn't mean other things are more or less or I want to move for better groceries, just does create a question as to why. In my case it's not possible it's wages or real estate. Maybe transportation? Maybe competition? But it sure makes you wonder.
With all these smart villagers, some must have been in the grocery business. Tell us the reason, the local secrets.

The op is correct and people that bash should save that anger for the political forum. Up north you get much better sales... i.e. polly-o mozzarella for $1.99, once in a while.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
It's very difficult to have a discussion on this forum without idiots taking pot shots at you...
Welcome to life on internet forums. ToTV is not unique.
Closed Thread

Tags
dixe, winn, left, buying, head

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.