West facing lanai

Closed Thread
Old 04-02-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,150 Times in 5,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pruett View Post
My west facing lanai was enclosed with clear double pane windows by the second owner. We've lived here for two years and have found it comfortable. FYI, no extra HVAC was added. Suggest you wait and see.
Our Florida was not put in until after the summer so we have not yet added a split A/C.
Waiting to see how it will be cooled by our A/C we have now but thinking a split will be needed.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanr07 View Post
We ended up buying a home in St Catherine with a west facing lanai, not our original intentions but did so because of several other factors.
Suggestions or comments? Our realtor suggested solar screens? We will be snow birds for awhile, not sure how impacted we will be by the setting sun. At least we can sit out there in the mornings!
We installed remote controlled awnings. The height and extension can both be adjusted to suit. It has made a HUGE difference in our lanai, which we use all times of day. We use our awnings almost every afternoon. The only time we don't is when it's very windy or (obviously) raining. We installed two - one also shades our bedroom. They were not an inexpensive purchase, (several thousand). However, the comfort they provide, as well as facilitating much increased use of our lanai, has for us, justified the expense.
Old 04-02-2021, 12:12 PM

Old 04-02-2021, 12:44 PM

There are screens that block more than 90% of sun rays; however we still couldn’t sit out there when it was raining or too cold. We eventually “partially” enclosed or lanai, installing stacking siding doors. Now we have full air when we want, but can keep the doors closed and still enjoy the lanai 100% of the time. Best investment in our opinion.
Old 04-02-2021, 01:46 PM

I have an east faceing lanai. I love it. Sun in the am and cool in the pm.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:39 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,397 Times in 1,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisbwp View Post
I have an east faceing lanai. I love it. Sun in the am and cool in the pm.
I've had both and prefer not having the low glaring sun in my eyes every morning, I'm not a big fan of shades and we use our Lanai every morning but rarely in late afternoon as there is always something else to do so West is Best at least for us.
Old 04-02-2021, 04:41 PM

We would highly recommend outdoor solar shades for a west facing lanai. It made a huge difference for us. We got ours from Budget Blinds and they did a great job. We loved the selection of window coverings for both inside and outside our Home!
Old 04-02-2021, 05:00 PM
TOTV SPONSOR
Default Cool breeze roll screens,retractable doors,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning

Cool Breeze roll screens, retractable screen doors, interior motorized shades,privacy-hurricane shutters and awning.

We manufacture our products in Odessa, Fl and have the Longest warranty,quality and service in the industry.

888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@Yahoo.com
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210402_122703.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	88925   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_141339.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	88926   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210225_103841.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	88927   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_174609.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	88928   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20210216_142842.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	88929  

888-896-8935
coolbreezerollscreens@yahoo.com
http://www.talkofthevillages.com/
http://www.coolbreezeincorporated.com/
www.facebook.com/coolbreeze.screens
Old 04-02-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Our Florida was not put in until after the summer so we have not yet added a split A/C.
Waiting to see how it will be cooled by our A/C we have now but thinking a split will be needed.
I think using your home air conditioner to cool lanai is less efficient than getting a split. We use ours a lot and really notice little in the way of a higher utility bill.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:28 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,705 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
We live on a lake in southern Wisconsin, west facing on the lake. Beautiful sunsets, but not gonna' lie, 4-6 PM on a hot day is brutal, porch is basically unusable. We get shade from trees after 6P, so then it's OK again. It comes down to, are the fabulous sunsets worth having an unusable porch for certain times? Comes down to personal preference I think.
I was going to share my story but you already did. I have a west facing porch on a lake in NY...sunsets are great, but it can get brutal. However, we have found ways to deal with it, and it has its pluses. Which is what I want to share with the OP...you'll find ways to enjoy the pluses, and to mitigate the minuses. It will be grand.
Enjoy!
Old 04-02-2021, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,148 Times in 2,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by allsport View Post
Plant lots of fast growing trees.
We cut down the trees because we love the sun and don't want the trees to block the solar panels that heat our pool.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,150 Times in 5,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
I think using your home air conditioner to cool lanai is less efficient than getting a split. We use ours a lot and really notice little in the way of a higher utility bill.
On a monthly basis your probably right but when you factor in the cost of buying the split would disagree.
Old 04-03-2021, 09:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We ended up buying a home in St Catherine with a west facing lanai, not our original intentions but did so because of several other factors.
Suggestions or comments? Our realtor suggested solar screens? We will be snow birds for awhile, not sure how impacted we will be by the setting sun. At least we can sit out there in the mornings!
We have a Gardenia with a west facing lanai. Like you, we had heard all the reasons why this was a terrible idea. We often think about everything we heard each morning when we have breakfast facing the rising sun in the east and in the evenings when we often just sit and enjoy the beautiful sunsets in the west. Yes, summers in Florida can be brutal - no matter which way your lanai faces. Screens, awnings and other devices can provide some relief if you find you truly want them (we do have pull down screens we use when we must). Enclosing the lanai is a different alternative. We didn't need additional living space nor a replication of our living or dining rooms. We prefer the open air and sense of being outside that the screened lanai provides.

A number of folks have provided the best advice. Live with your house and your lanai. The experience will let you know what is going to work best for you. It might be any of the suggestions already mentioned. Enjoy your home and welcome to TV.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:47 AM
Default West Facing Lanai:

Quote:
We live in Monarch Grove and have a lanai with birdcage that faces west. We have lived here since October and have now ordered screens from Lowes. We are going to purchase a section at a time to see what we really need. Also, thinking of purchasing a canvas cover for the birdcage.
Old 04-12-2021, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

We have a West facing lanai and love it. The morning breakfasts are wonderful and the evening sunset are fantastic. We were also faced with what "should we do about the sun in the evening" and after some thought decided to go with curtains. We found curtains on Amazon that are mold resistant and have guide holes on both the top and bottom. You need the guide holes on the bottom to stop the curtains from blowing into the lanai. We then had a handy-man run a steel guide wire across the top and bottom of the lanai opening where the curtains were to be placed. A curtain was hung on the left side of the lanai able to run about 1/2 way into the middle and another one hung on the right side able to run about 1/2 way. The logic I used was: Its a lot cheaper solution then an electric shade running from the top to bottom of the lanai window and if we didn't like it we didn't have a lot to loose compared to the electric shade solution. When we want to block the sun typically we only need to move one of the curtains over some and it leave the rest open for a nice view. Out lanai is large and we have 2 sections with 2 curtains on each section. It is very rare for us to have to move even 1 curtain over to the middle and I can't remember ever having to close 2 of the curtains and never the 4. The curtains move fairly easy on the guide wires but clearly not as easy a pressing a button. This solution works for us but as most people have recommended > use the Lanai in the spring/summer/ a little before you make a decision. Good luck.
Closed Thread

Tags
west, facing, lanai, snow, birds

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.