What changes would you make at The Market at Sawgrass Grove?

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2022, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,336 Times in 874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by loweglor View Post
I have not experienced Sawgrass yet but have seen the video and talked to friends who have been there. The first thing I heard about was the concessions who are change free. You don't get change back???? Is that even legal? It certainly isn't ethical. That was followed up by how high the prices are. Did I hear a $5 cup of coffee? And the noise!!!! My friends said you couldn't hear yourself think. Well, now I have absolutely no interest in going there which is a shame because I was really looking forward to it. Is there something wrong with business management in The Villages??? They couldn't keep Katie Belle's open, not profitable. They couldn't keep the Hacienda restaurant open, not profitable. Now Sawgrass. Also, businesses seem to come and go here faster than they should. Is the developer that incompetent in business management or just that greedy?
Since the developer doesn't own or run the business's (with few exceptions) and is making a good living I submit he is good at business management.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-14-2022, 09:07 PM

I would have liked to see it done on the order of a mini food mall with restaurants with inside (the restaurant) seating, The sweet shop could have been like the French workshop (They're in Long Island NY) Fabulous with quaint tables, a good ice cream parlor, etc. But all behind a door of each business. Not a food court! And who in the heck buying meat there at the butcher?
Old 09-14-2022, 09:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,433 Times in 5,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom359 View Post
This just makes no sense. If you watch the progress videos, most of the vendors have successful restaurants in Orlando and are trying to make them work here in the villages. You can disagree with the pricing/quality, but not the experience of the vendors.
Only problem with that logic is what they have done in Orlando translate into running a successful business here?

From reading the comments from people who have gone there not so sure. Time will tell and we will give them a visit once the place is finished.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:36 AM

Nothing. It’s a place that is so different from what is used to in TVLG so current residents have nothing but bad feelings about anything NEW. The vision of TVLG seems like it wants to evolve and do different things. Future brings change and many can’t seem to handle it.
“If you don’t like the music, change the station “
Old 09-15-2022, 06:00 AM

I can't agree more
Old 09-15-2022, 06:02 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,951 Times in 3,733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4me View Post
I can't agree more
108 posts ahead you..................
Old 09-15-2022, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,886 Times in 1,319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
108 posts ahead you..................
Has anytime suggested to turn it into an indoor Pickleball facility 😜
Old 09-15-2022, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCros View Post
Nothing. It’s a place that is so different from what is used to in TVLG so current residents have nothing but bad feelings about anything NEW. The vision of TVLG seems like it wants to evolve and do different things. Future brings change and many can’t seem to handle it.
“If you don’t like the music, change the station “
I agree, most people as they age don’t take well to change.
The Sawgrass concept is new for The Villages. I think when snow birds return and when the music stage opens business will thrive at Sawgrass.
If not, changes will happen.
It seems every time a new business opens in The Villages the reaction is the same, “prices too high, too noisy, won’t go back, place will never make it”. And the majority of those places are still in business.
Time will tell for Sawgrass. I am looking forward to trying something new when we return next month.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:30 AM

Developer sells houses because of the amenities. House sales are where the huge profits come from. Developer needs to look at the big picture. Make sawgrass into somewhere people really want to go to. That draws people here to buy those thousands of new houses.
Fix the acoustics, seating, etc. That's easy. Developer should give something back to all the residents and fix the high prices with providing free rent.
An amenity like Sawgrass should be something that attracts home buyers. It's not doing that. Quite the opposite.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shueburruss View Post
I agree, most people as they age don’t take well to change.
The Sawgrass concept is new for The Villages. I think when snow birds return and when the music stage opens business will thrive at Sawgrass.
If not, changes will happen.
It seems every time a new business opens in The Villages the reaction is the same, “prices too high, too noisy, won’t go back, place will never make it”. And the majority of those places are still in business.
Time will tell for Sawgrass. I am looking forward to trying something new when we return next month.
So, not to worry. All is good. Whew!
Old 09-15-2022, 06:46 AM

The marketplace space reminds me of the cruise ship layout on Norwegian Cruise Lines (NCL). This would be a good benchmark for the developers if the current offerings don’t work out. Think smaller, intimate restaurants with a variety of meals. On NCL, they have a dedicated steakhouse, Japanese Teppanyaki, French cuisine and pub food. Also, the comedy venues on the ships are always packed with standing room only. All of these ideas, are aligned to making the venue a desired entertainment destination rather that a market to acquire goods and services which are available in the strip stores (Publix grocery, etc.)
Old 09-15-2022, 06:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,632 Times in 602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Developer sells houses because of the amenities. House sales are where the huge profits come from. Developer needs to look at the big picture. Make sawgrass into somewhere people really want to go to. That draws people here to buy those thousands of new houses.
Fix the acoustics, seating, etc. That's easy. Developer should give something back to all the residents and fix the high prices with providing free rent.
An amenity like Sawgrass should be something that attracts home buyers. It's not doing that. Quite the opposite.
We were number #27 for a lot in Richmond. No worries if Sawgrass is not attracting home buyers, the developer can’t keep up with the demand for homes now. As you age in place TV will become more clearer in its concepts

Last edited by thelegges; 09-15-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:04 AM
Default BJ’s but not Costco

Seems like COSTCO missed an opportunity as BJ’s appears to be thriving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Ok stop the Costco campaign - they are one of my accounts - I asked and there are NO plans to come to TV for the next 3-4 years. and that was accompanied by a laugh. as in are you serious. so stop asking LOL

on to the main topic, changes to the market -

Cash is king - so standard methods of payment are madatory
change the options - less is more, i would reduce the number of food 'huts' and keep some items -

market - gone - it's a waste and sham
coffee shop - keep change location and place it in the market area - offering comfortable seating
speaking of seating all the high stools can find a dumptster - who's idea was it to sit people on totally uncomfortable chairs - the idea is to keep people there not get rid of them (a sign that the "current owner" is clueless)

Burgers - keep I'm hearing they aren't all too bad, maybe focusing the employees in one direction will make it better.
Fish - gone - too far overpriced to make any sense
Bar - price changes and better drink options. They don't even have a cocktail menu.... shame however glad to see PBR LOL
dessert - bye bye.

bet you're wondering what to do with all the extra space? make things larger - let the pub take on dinner and other business. The Market should be looked at as a different venue yet familiar.

Before I forget - sound baffles. who the heck thought none was a good idea - one person talks and no one can hear anything.

that's just the initial part. There's more but it's a start here, and then you make more changes.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:07 AM
Default It will work

Once music starts, you won’t be able to get near the place. Wait and see! There sure are a boatload of old crotchety complainers here in TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapX View Post
Old 09-15-2022, 07:13 AM
Smile Sawgrass Market

Its always easy to criticize. Opening new restaurants is not easy, especially in these times for many reasons.. In my opinion, Sawgrass market has a great future ahead of them and will offer our residents and visitors another great area for access to good food/bev, entertainment and other activities. Being new to this area (from St. Petersburg) I’ve seen restaurants come and go. This is a great concept and happy to have them here. Tampa has what they call Tampa Armature Works and is extremely successful. It took them awhile.

With the new communities being built around us hopefully will help them perfect the communities needs and help them stay in business. I love having this concept close to my village and particular happy about The Village Grown Market. Look forward to the outdoor entertainment!

I certainly agree with lowering their prices and they definitely have to do something with the acoustics- high noise level. I will continue to support them and stay positive for future improvements!
Closed Thread

Tags
make, market, sawgrass, grove, owned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.