What Christmas traditions do you keep alive?

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What Christmas traditions do you keep alive?

Caroline and Bubba, My wife is in the process as I speak making pirohis (pierogies as spelled in N.E. Slovakia) I've eaten these at Christmas all my life and could exist on them if they were a bit more healthy to eat. She'll make both potato and sauerkraut filled ones, and freeze them for enjoyment over the next 6 months.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:23 PM

No matter what I always burn a bayberry candle on Christmas Eve; all the way down to the wick. I have been doing it for so long I am afraid not to!
Old 12-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Think I finally figured out how to upload pictures. Here is a picture of those we made for the past 3 years. The skiiers were 2005, the reindeer were 2006 and the snowmen were this year. Lets see if it works.

The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida[/img]
Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Eternal Member

Steak (on the grill) baked potato and baked onion.

Showers.

Open presents and listen to Christmas music.

Chapagne toast.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Veteran member

When my mother-in-law was alive she always made toutsiere for Christmas Eve. Not sure if that is how you spell it, but it is a French Canadian meat pie. The meat has to be pork, seasoned with cloves, you need to add mashed potatoes to soak up the grease and keep it in the pie. and the crust has to me made with lard. It is definitely an artery-clog waiting to happen, but oh so tasty. I kept up the tradition for many years after she died, until my husband begged me to have pity on his blood vessels. But my kids certainly remember the wonderful smells coming into the house after midnight Mass.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 12-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Veteran member

Since I bleed Yankee Blue and spent over 25 years living in Connecticut, our "traditions" are a a splendid Christmas Eve dinner of seafood followed by Candlelight Services at the Congregational Church followed by a gathering of old friends at one of our houses for wine and cheese. Christmas day was always early with the kids. We always had a Standing Rib Roast dinner with all the accoutrements sometime in the early afternoon followed by a family walk along the housatonic river to enjoy the cold, crisp air, snow, etc. Afterwards, I cleaned up the kitchen, did the pots, pans & dishes, and then chilled out while my wife REALLY chilled out. When we lived in Arizona, we always had a pinata for the kids & their friends on Christmas Afternoon. We are closing on the end of the third year in the villages and haven't been there for Christmas as we return to Northeast for just a while.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

Had Christmas Eve dinner, this year at daughters, cornish hens (Not Done) Honey Baked Ham, (Done) too much other food. Toasted to late mother in law, passed the torch to the next matriarch (Mrs F-16), watched grandkids open too many gifts. Drove 80 miles back home. Reminisced! Life is good.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.