What to do with dining room?

Closed Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 07:02 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Hi. We also did not feel the need for a dining room so we made it a sitting room. We put an electric fireplace in the room as well. I use it a lot this time of year as the mornings are cool. I turn on the fireplace and put my feet up with a cup of coffee in the AM. Love the space it has become.
You have excellent taste. It looks so serene and inviting.
Much better than an unused "dining room" section.

Love the white cabinets and white furniture , as well as the fireplace.
Gives off a bright and light Key West kind of ambience. Great color scheme in general.

Beautiful. Great use of those columns, as a room divider.

So, you ended up with one big GREAT ROOM.......as your main living room is across from that space, right?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
When does the wine tasting begin?

March 2013. I'm trying hard to "liquidate" my current inventory before the big move.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
"liquidate"
Nice play on words,

by the way if you can't liquidate before moving send what you can now so we can help.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Smile

I don't know how to post a picture, BUT we put a bar in the dining area of our lantana. As my daughter said, hit the door, hit the bar, hit the lanai. We love it and have had many compliments on the use of the area.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I really don't believe that we are in the minority when utilizing our dinning area with a fully extended dinning room table throughout the year. common folks somebody out there has formal dinning, a gourmet club, poker night???????
Old 11-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
You have excellent taste. It looks so serene and inviting.
Much better than an unused "dining room" section.

Love the white cabinets and white furniture , as well as the fireplace.
Gives off a bright and light Key West kind of ambience. Great color scheme in general.

Beautiful. Great use of those columns, as a room divider.

So, you ended up with one big GREAT ROOM.......as your main living room is across from that space, right?
It is one large room, but they have two distinct looks. The other room has a tv, sofa and two chair with a large end table and has a nautical theme. We chose a large sailboat picture for above the sofa and a glass sea turtle, glass octopus oil lamp with shells and floating candles for the large table. We use it for watching tv. Thank you for your wonderful compliments about our fireplace area. please look for pics of the living room on another post. Can't attach to this one.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Sage
Default Living room pics

This is our living room which is across from the "sitting room" with the fireplace. We have a Gardenia so the space is open. Sorry, but the pics didn't load.

Last edited by Happinow; 11-07-2012 at 07:29 PM. Reason: pics didn't up load
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Sage
Default Living room pics

Hopefully these pictures post....
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	livingroomplant2.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	540.5 KB
ID:	6450  
Old 11-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Sage
Default Larger lanai/no formal dining

I think that if you have a larger lanai, then a formal dining room may not be needed because you can use that outside space for dining and entertaining. Hopefully the weather cooperates!
Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default We are not dining room users soooo...

previous owner already changed what should be a dining room to a library/TV rooThe Villages Floridam which works for us...Here is a pic.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I think that if you have a larger lanai, then a formal dining room may not be needed because you can use that outside space for dining and entertaining. Hopefully the weather cooperates!
I agree......and by the way, all of your photos are great.
A nice "light and bright" yet "cool" place to get in out of the sun.

Whenever we'd rent on Sanibel Island,Florida the luxury gulf front condos were done in a theme similar to the one you've chosen.

Very relaxing.........very nice for Florida living.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I really don't believe that we are in the minority when utilizing our dinning area with a fully extended dinning room table throughout the year. common folks somebody out there has formal dinning, a gourmet club, poker night???????

The first "Lifestyle Visit" Home we were in had a formal dining "spot" after you entered the foyer....to the left, with a large dining room table, chairs.

It also had a good sized (not a nook) dining area "off the kitchen" which was also "off the lanai" via sliding doors. The sliding doors continued on across the entire back of the living room.......a full big wall of glass.

There was a "second formal dining room table and chairs"....not the average kitchen table.......in that spot off the kitchen, with easy access to the kitchen.........and also to the lanai which had a dining table.

In that particular model, not sure if it was a Lantana? on Merryweather Way in Creekside Landings......that dining area would be all that we'd need, plus the dining on the lanai.

Just as we do here, we like "lots of xtra comfortable seating" for when all the adult children and grandchildren visit......so yes, I'd rather give up having "two" dining room sets vs. having more seating.

Also, as other posters have mentioned.......having a "seating area" for reading, relaxing, etc.........that isn't part of the main living room setting with the television, etc........is nice to have....

The open floor plans provide opportunity to have a big "great room" as we call them up here. People, us included, added them on to our homes........and still kept the traditional living rooms and traditional dining rooms, but if truth be told........everyone gravitates to the great room.

Also the lanai is plenty big for a good sized table or two......and for those with pools and summer kitchens, it would be convenient to just eat out there............unless it is UnGodly hot out.

The guys with the "home theatre" arrangements are also on to something. Very popular with the 20's, 30's and young 40's college grad generations..........

Have had the formal dining room for 48 years of marriage.
Been there, done that. Don't play poker.

For someone who does play poker, how about a folding poker table that is stored away in one of the walk in closets?

What I'd like to hear a solution to is where do all the grandchildren sleep and the adult "kids" if they all came at once????? Obviously we would get the three bedrooms..........and I guess sofa beds in the living areas?

Up here we have three "master sized" very large bedrooms with 3 King sized beds, 2 blow up Queen sized beds for the grandkids plus a porta crib.......sold our two living room sofa beds and replaced them with regular sofas.........so the blow up beds do come in handy.....

However, the bedrooms in the TV homes are smaller, except for the master bedrooms. I've seen a few of those murphy beds in the walls.

Thanks in advance............
Old 11-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Gold member

We do have a formal dining room with a formal Baker dining set from the 1920's passed down from my grandmother to my mother in the 1950's.
Lots of memories; birthdays and holidays.
Do we use it? Not much; maybe 2 times a year.
Nook area? Got nice new furniture when we moved in. Do we use it? Only when kids and grandkids come for a visit otherwise we carry in a plate and eat in our recliners.
2 formal living areas. Do we use them?
Yep; the pool table and game table takes up 1 of them so now its a game room.
Bring your stuff down you just never know.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wilmington Ohio, bought in Hadley Village January 2009, move when we can retire

What do you do with your dining room? What do you have in your dining area? How about doing something else with the sit in dining in the kitchen? We have an open Whispering Pine.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

If I got the Iris I would do as other mentioned. Change the back wall with the sliders to make it a straight wall so it would accomodate a large table in the breakfst noonk or be able to extend the smaller able by using leaves. Then I would expand the Lanai to make it wide enough to sit out there and enclose if needed.

I would put a ceiling fan where the dinning table should go and move the living room/TV area to the middle along the long wall. If that is clear.

If we got a Begonia style...we wanted to build in a desk/mail center in the nook and keep the Dinning area as our main eating area with a large table but no formal hutches or china....just our style I guess.

Well one can dream anyway ;-)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.