What happened to WVLG

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2021, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

So for many of you there’s just a set amount of songs and a certain number of years music and no other music before or after ??? I Can’t Tell You How Sad That Is , there is so much different music to be heard all over the world now and in the past
Old 02-19-2021, 09:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
So for many of you there’s just a set amount of songs and a certain number of years music and no other music before or after ??? I Can’t Tell You How Sad That Is , there is so much different music to be heard all over the world now and in the past
One of my best friends is like that. I agree with you. Sad. It's like they are frozen in that time period. Maybe that was their "best time of their life"?
Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,929 Times in 1,113 Posts

Your Right . Having a life that went from being shot at in.Vietnam and Algeria in the 1950’s to Pakistan in the 90’s at 82 the best time of my life will be all the years I have coming and the new adventures I’ll have when Covid is gone
Old 02-19-2021, 12:35 PM

It's all been touched upon relentlessly. Music is subjective.

I'm in my mid 70s. Loved big band music, some sixties, some seventies, a lot of eighties and big time Sinatra fan.

Moved here in 2009 and WVLG music was painfully dated then. Lots of 50s stuff. I'm not a big fan of the marketing messages anyway.

So many great alternatives were posted here. Some I knew and use. Thanks for the new ones.

I guess WVLG evolved to appeal to the newbies coming to TV.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:08 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Every now and then I hear a song that really touches me. Love wvlg.
Old 02-20-2021, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,611 Times in 946 Posts

Station needs to cater to people spanning 4 decades - definitely 2 generations, some into a 3rd generation, and all across the country (regions that like blues, country, disco, boing band, etc).
NO WAY, they can make everyone happy
Old 02-20-2021, 03:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The people moving into The Villages now are from ages 55-65. That means that on average, they were teenagers in the mid to late seventies. Those of us that were teenagers in the mid to late sixties, are not going to like much of the music that these young whippersnappers listen. It's going change as time goes by. I hate to see it but that's the way that it's going to be. In 30-40 years they're going to be playing Justin Beiber and Taylor and yes, Rap.

Download all fo your favorite music and play what you like.
I have always liked your posts, but now you are my favorite. I am 57 and I guess a "young wippersnapper"... I love it! Seriously, I have noticed the move to newer music, and love hearing more 70s and 80s music- but I still love the oldies. But- bring on some Styx, Boston, REO Speedwagon, and Elton John....
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I suspect that with all the new areas within The Villages that are being developed, most of the newer villagers are in their early 60's. So I'm sure that The Villages has changed the format of WVLG to be closer aligned with that age group. And their concept of a "golden oldie" is something that was recorded in the 1980's. I know when we first started visiting The Villages in 2001, WVLG was playing songs from the 40's and 50's. Then after several years, they started playing songs from the 60's and those were "our Golden Oldies". So, I guess, time marches on. And someday in the future, WVLG will be playing the "golden oldie RAP" format for the new "millennial" villagers that will be moving here.
Most of the music I've heard, whenever I do turn it on, are mainly in the 40's! I don't listen to it anymore either. There is a station GOLD 99.7 that is good and plays a ton of oldies. There is a new oldies station in Ocala..True Oldies Y100 which is REALLY good but seems to fade in and out. Not a strong signal but I do listen to it for the majority of the day. (not strong in the early morning and later in the evening..and when it's stormy)
Closed Thread

Tags
wvlg, radio, songs, stations, north

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.