What Happens To Property Values in Neighborhoods Near Sinkhole Activity?

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Default What Happens To Property Values in Neighborhoods Near Sinkhole Activity?

While many of you who already live in the Villages seem to take the recent reports of sinkholes affecting some homes there in stride, it is a little more than scary to a potential buyer. The deductible for a non-catastrophic event could be catastrophic by itself.

Do you know how having a house with a sinkhole in a neighborhood affects the surrounding property values? Would you buy in a neighborhood that has had a sinkhole?

I think it is scary because there is no warning, so there is no way to prepare. Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, snowstorms, are events that usually come with some warning.

With my luck, I'd be backing my golf cart out of the garage and drop right in! I wonder how long it would take my husband to notice I was gone????

Seriously, this is not a "the sky is falling" post, but it does make me hit the PAUSE button momentarily.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabeth52 View Post
While many of you who already live in the Villages seem to take the recent reports of sinkholes affecting some homes there in stride, it is a little more than scary to a potential buyer. The deductible for a non-catastrophic event could be catastrophic by itself.

Do you know how having a house with a sinkhole in a neighborhood affects the surrounding property values? Would you buy in a neighborhood that has had a sinkhole?

I think it is scary because there is no warning, so there is no way to prepare. Earthquakes, Hurricanes, Tornadoes, snowstorms, are events that usually come with some warning.

With my luck, I'd be backing my golf cart out of the garage and drop right in! I wonder how long it would take my husband to notice I was gone????

Seriously, this is not a "the sky is falling" post, but it does make me hit the PAUSE button momentarily.
I bought in Florida!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

do not worry about things you can not change...if you live your life afraid, you will miss too much of life
Old 04-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Well , I was a potential buyer with thoughts of purchasing this summer after my 3rd visit but I am now starting to rethink-- a lot more Q and A needed regarding Homeowners -Catostropic ( ect) Ins and what types are avail and not avail now to new homeowners ect .ect . ect. Anybody way in here??
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam1010 View Post
Well , I was a potential buyer with thoughts of purchasing this summer after my 3rd visit but I am now starting to rethink-- a lot more Q and A needed regarding Homeowners -Catostropic ( ect) Ins and what types are avail and not avail now to new homeowners ect .ect . ect. Anybody way in here??

If you purchase near Tampa the concentration is greater. We are also the lightning capital of the United States here in Central Florida. All of the homes now built and those that will be built will be sold and we will live happily ever after.

There are AWFUL tornadoes in Oklahoma. Risk of the big one in California, and the chances of something awful happening to you here would be more like a golf cart accident. 13 people have been killed in golf cart accidents in the last four years. But no one from a sinkhole and no home has been condemned. All have been repaired. Eight homes have burnt to the ground in the last seven years in The Villages from lightning strikes.

You can play, or you can pass.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:55 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Actually, there are some warnings for sinkholes -- serious foundation and wall cracks give pretty good hints that you have foundation problems, which seem to equate to sinkholes in Florida.

Every area has problems of some sort. California has mudslides (usually only hint there is a lot of rain and living on a hillside with little old growth) and earthquakes (no warnings there whatsoever); the Midwest has tornadoes (warnings they're coming but no promise of the path they will take); Northeast gets severe snow storms and some hurricanes. You have to pick and choose what risks you can live with. To me, earthquakes, sinkholes, mudslides, fires are things to respect but not something to be overly concerned about. I refuse to live in snow and blizzards and I'm not thrilled that we've have tornadoes (really, really don't like those) and would never live on either coast of Florida (have a thing about living that close to hurricanes).

I don't know if sinkholes lower neighboring property values but I imagine it would drop them somewhat unless someone can show an engineering report that the ground is very stable for a particular house (which I'm not sure is feasible). Actually, I'd be willing to buy a home that had a sinkhole repaired if I could get reasonable insurance for it.

I'd say bigger risk here is lightning strikes, which have been known to burn down a few houses in TV. We're probably going to hear of more sinkholes this year because of the weather last year -- too much rain at the wrong time.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 PM

Our insurance agency said we had a bigger risk from lightening strikes than sinkholes, I'm beginning to wonder with all this recent activity. I think getting reasonable insurance rates would be the main issue in selling a house that had sinkhole remediation. You would still be covered under your main home policy for catastrophic damage where your home is deemed unsafe to live in (Fl. law), but I'm guessing based on the house past history the rates would be very high. I doubt any company would underwrite a secondary sinkhole insurance policy. Secondary policies cover issues that arise from having activity under or near the house that cause problems such as window/door sticking, cracks in foundation, walls, or slabs and you now have to pay a high deductible like 10-25% unless you are grandfathered in under an existing policy. When we bought last year, we checked out several companies and they all said if there had been a sinkhole within a mile of the home to forget about getting secondary sinkhole insurance. They said a lot of companies that previously wrote policies had stopped, kind of like hurricane policies. We also had friends tell us last year that their secondary sinkhole policy was not renewed on their five year old house (basically, the company stopped writing sinkhole policies in Fl.). I guess it's the chance we take for living in Paradise!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:36 PM

I do understands your concerns, but...every place in the country has problems of some kind, either sink holes, weather, dangerous animals, etc. You are concerned about buying a home here. Are you planning on returning to rent or vacation here?? If you are, that doesn't make sense. Sink holes don't just happen to the people who own the homes. They could happen to the homes you are renting. You just never know.I am not trying to make light of this, but there are things you can do to be pro-active to try to minimize sink hole damage to your property. I may have a sink hole tomorrow, or I may get struck by lightening, or I may be in a car accident. No guarantees in life. Just love what you do and do what you love.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

You do realize that you answered your own question?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 AM
Sage

Quote:

AMEN

Elizabeth....you truly "get it"........as does everyone else I have spoken to**. We pray that everyone and their homes stay safe, but it is a concern and not a minor one at that.

**Except for the apologetics who feel the need to post with disdain towards innocent honest comments or concerns.
The word "apologetics" is derived from the Greek word "apologia" which means to make a defense. It has come to mean defense of the faith. I'm not using it as refers to religion here, but to a defense of their hometown.

Obviously, those already living in The Villages do not get too excited about these news blips on sinkholes in The Villages, that seem to be happening more frequently. More power to them, for their stoicism. Actually, I can understand both sides of any story.

From afar, people can be a bit more concerned perhaps......
At our age in life, it's too hard to begin over again and then over again due to a catastrophic ground collapse. God forbid.

I loved that second to the last paragraph. ditto.
"What?" "Grandma's missing?" I wonder if they'd find me?

My fear would be that it would happen "under the bedroom area" ****and no one would realize that such an event had occurred if they did not see it with their own eyes as compared to an outdoor sinkhole which is more visible. ****(such as what happened to the man in Brandon, Tampa Bay area, where no one could rescue him from his bed)

Again........I say "AMEN". Thanks for posting important feelings, shared by many of us still living out of state but gearing up to list our homes for sale.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

We're in PA and have sink holes. There is one that keeps developing about 3 miles from Hersheypark. It became a "hot" commercial property. The value escalated as interest grew. There is now a sports bar called the Sink Hole. Within the last 2 months the hole reopened and when the road reopened, the place was packed with patrons. I understand this is a commercial property and not residential, but the owners saw beyond and capitalized.

With rates increasing, housing prices going up, only you can decide what level of risk you're willing to take. We tend to see life through our rose colored glasses and so far, we have few regrets with the decisions we've made. This includes our recent purchase in The Villages.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

The OP has made a very legitimate comment. How in the world will the home owners of the homes immediately impacted by the recent sinkholes ever resell their homes? I would think that they would have to reveal that there has been major sinkhole repair to their property when selling the home, and with all the homes available, why wouldn't a potential buyer just look elsewhere? I guess the real question that should be asked is " if I have had a sinkhole on my property repaired, is my property in more danger, less danger, or the same danger as a property that has never had a sinkhole." Now, everyone will voice an opinion on this, but it would be nice to hear from a geologist.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
The OP has made a very legitimate comment. How in the world will the home owners of the homes immediately impacted by the recent sinkholes ever resell their homes? I would think that they would have to reveal that there has been major sinkhole repair to their property when selling the home, and with all the homes available, why wouldn't a potential buyer just look elsewhere? I guess the real question that should be asked is " if I have had a sinkhole on my property repaired, is my property in more danger, less danger, or the same danger as a property that has never had a sinkhole." Now, everyone will voice an opinion on this, but it would be nice to hear from a geologist.
Well said. I would not let the threat of Florida sinkholes keep me from moving here, but if I had the chance of buying a house near a house that had previous sinkhole activity, or in a neighborhood that was devoid of sinkholes, it would be a no brainer. I don't see any reason it wouldn't lower property values, unless, there was professional engineering verified reports that the property was safe or safer than other properties.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Sage

Out of about 55,000 homes a handful had issues, those are good odds.

You must get full sinkhole insurance when you close not just catastrophic,
Old 04-23-2014, 06:56 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe

Elisabeth, Good question.

Glad no one has attacked the poster.

It is good to do due diligence before moving and make a decision that you are comfortable with.

I have been on this forum waaayyyy tooo long....STILL a Wannabe.

The Villages has sinkholes, lightening, had a tornado, has black bears, panterhs, snakes, alligators, snowbirds, New Yorkers (Ok just kidding here).

AND YET I would LOVE to live there. There is no place like it!!!! The people are great, the actiities can'be topped, the place is beautiful and again the PEOPLE ARE THE BEST!!!!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.