Sumter Library E-Books Issue

Old 02-15-2024, 09:12 AM
Angry Sumter Library E-Books Issue

ON a transatlantic Cruise and a recent Caribbean cruise, I attempted to listen to my 5 downloaded e-audio books with some success. Many times at a chapter change, the app would hang and I would have to restart.
The new company BOUNDLESS requires constant internet access even after you downloaded the book. So, if you do not have any internet access, forget about listening to that e-book. If you have internet access via Wi-Fi and far too many people are doing FACETIME, you will encounter timeouts and have to restart.

The same will occur if you are flying on an airplane with no WIFI.

FYI. I download the books to my iPhone and pair the sound to my Bluetooth hearing aids. This works great when it works!

Last edited by mgb07; 02-16-2024 at 10:58 AM. Reason: My information was wrong-- There is distinct diffewrence betwewen eaudio and ebooks from Boundless...
Old 02-15-2024, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,253 Times in 5,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb07 View Post
ON a transatlantic Cruise and a recent Caribbean cruise, I attempted to listen to my 5 downloaded e-books with some success. Many times at a chapter change, the app would hang and I would have to restart.
The new company BOUNDLESS requires constant internet access even after you downloaded the book. So, if you do not have any internet access, forget about listening to that e-book. If you have internet access via Wi-Fi and far too many people are doing FACETIME, you will encounter timeouts and have to restart.

FYI. I download the books to my iPhone and pair the sound to my Bluetooth hearing aids. This works great when it works!
In Europe in December did not always have internet so sometimes could continue with my book and sometimes I could not. A bit of a pain but brought paperback just in case.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:13 PM

For a cruise where there is typically very spotty internet, I would buy some ebooks and have them downloaded in advance of leaving home. Also, many cruise ships have lovely libraries which contain books chosen for the cruising population. The libraries on Cunard are wonderful.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:15 AM

I have also had trouble with checked out ebooks from the library. Therefore, I have gone back to reading actual books on long plane trips and cruises. Currently on a Holland America cruise (Westerdam) where they have a used book exchange as well as a library where you can check out books. In fact, I have just finished “Lessons in Chemistry” by Bonnie Garmus. It is a great read even if you aren’t a chemist.

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 02-16-2024, 07:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,353 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:

I think you are wrong. I just used boundless to checkout and download an audio book. I then turned off wi-fi, cellular, and put my phone into airplane mode.

I then went back to boundless and listened to the book. It was there.

PLEASE NOTE THAT A BOOK CAN BE CHECKED OUT WITHOUT DOWNLOADING IT.

I think that may be your problem. Make sure that you checked it out and downloaded it.

This is from the boundless website.

Can Boundless audio books be downloaded for offline use?

Yes, audio books can be downloaded from the Boundless app for tablets, phones, and any mobile device. When titles are downloaded, they will appear in the user's offline Content Library and can be played back while out of range.

Last edited by Rainger99; 02-16-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:26 AM

yes, you are correct. Boundless creates a distinction between eaudio books and ebooks! I am referrring to ebooks!
Old 02-16-2024, 11:20 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,353 Times in 614 Posts

Quote:
yes, you are correct. Boundless creates a distinction between eaudio books and ebooks! I am referrring to ebooks!
Now I am confused. Were you referring to ebooks or eaudio books?

You originally said that you "attempted to listen to my 5 downloaded e-audio books with some success." And you also said "if you do not have any internet access, forget about listening to that e-book."

But now you say that you were referring to ebooks. Were you trying to read it or were you trying to listen to it?

Did you check it out AND download it?

Last edited by Rainger99; 02-16-2024 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:21 PM
Thanked 1,138 Times in 248 Posts

Quote:
ON a transatlantic Cruise and a recent Caribbean cruise, I attempted to listen to my 5 downloaded e-audio books with some success. Many times at a chapter change, the app would hang and I would have to restart.

I use a Kindle and download audio books from Amazon. I can listen anytime anywhere, do not need an Internet connection (except for the initial download), and have never had a problem. You don't even need to buy a Kindle. I have the app on my Samsung Android phone, tablet and computer. Everything is synced so you can switch devices and pick up on the same page you left. There are some free books, other's you pay for, or you can get a membership for a low fee like I have for Kindle Unlimited. You can borrow books just like from an online library and keep them as long as you want. No other ebook sites or software can even compare to Amazon's platform.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,887 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I use a Kindle and download audio books from Amazon. I can listen anytime anywhere, do not need an Internet connection (except for the initial download), and have never had a problem. You don't even need to buy a Kindle. I have the app on my Samsung Android phone, tablet and computer. Everything is synced so you can switch devices and pick up on the same page you left. There are some free books, other's you pay for, or you can get a membership for a low fee like I have for Kindle Unlimited. You can borrow books just like from an online library and keep them as long as you want. No other ebook sites or software can even compare to Amazon's platform.
Note that if you have a Kindle Ereader and a Lake County library card, you can download ebooks and audiobooks directly to the Kindle device in the Kindle format using the Libby app. You cannot do this with a Sumter County library card because they don't use the Libby app.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:17 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,890 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:

I’m going on a cruise on Carnival in a week, and I bought internet coverage at the highest level for about $25 a day. The fine print said that it does not cover streaming music. Perhaps it doesn’t cover streaming audio books either.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,693 Times in 603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I use a Kindle and download audio books from Amazon.
I love my Kindle, wouldn't be without it.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

On a cruise right now and only had to connect once than books opened just fine without WiFi. Used free WiFi at a port opened each book and disconnected. Never had to connect for rest of 10 day cruise. Not a fan of the new app though.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:11 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,077 Times in 433 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Note that if you have a Kindle Ereader and a Lake County library card, you can download ebooks and audiobooks directly to the Kindle device in the Kindle format using the Libby app. You cannot do this with a Sumter County library card because they don't use the Libby app.
Yes, and you can get a Lake County library card even if you don't live in Lake County. I believe they charge $40 per year for a non-resident. When it comes to ebooks, Sumter County is pathetic. To borrow an ebook at Sumter County, you must use their app, which is not compatible with Kindle.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:36 AM

Marion and Lake counties have reciprocal borrowing agreements. If you're a Marion county resident, you may get a Lake county library card without cost (and vice versa) by presenting your Marion county library card and proof of your residence.
Old 02-17-2024, 08:56 AM
Talking My BAD ! Senior moment #25 e-audio..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Now I am confused. Were you referring to ebooks or eaudio books?

You originally said that you "attempted to listen to my 5 downloaded e-audio books with some success." And you also said "if you do not have any internet access, forget about listening to that e-book."

But now you say that you were referring to ebooks. Were you trying to read it or were you trying to listen to it?

Did you check it out AND download it?
I downloaded 5 e-audio books and listened to each one right after I downloaded them to make sure the download worked. So, my issue is using e-audio ( listen) not ebooks ( read) . sorry for the mixup.. btw: I was using my iPhone 14, airplane mode on, WIFI selected.

Tags
internet, access, works, cruise, restart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.