What to shut off for extended leaves?

Old 04-06-2024, 01:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,289 Times in 2,841 Posts

The hardest thing to shut off when leaving is wanting to continue living the great, active, fun lifestyle inside the bubble. But it won’t take long for the reality of the real world to slam the door on that. Then the, I’m counting the days until I can return, valve will get immediately flipped wide open.
Old 04-06-2024, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, you may save about $10 to $15 per month in electricity by turning off the refrigerator. Actually, it may be less than that because, if you leave it on, the door will be closed all the time while you are gone. Filling it with beverages can also reduce electricity usage. My concern would be the possibility of the refrigerator becoming defective because of it not running for several months. Refrigerators are designed to be on all the time. So, my choice would be to just leave it on.
My motivation to turn off the refrigerator when I'm gone for several months, aside from savings on the electric bill, is to extend the life of the refrigerator by not using it as much. So your concern about damage by not keeping it running ran contrary to my thinking. My research online did not turn up any sites that confirm what you're saying. Most recommend keeping the fridge running if you're away for a month or less, and turning it off if away for more than a month.

I'm curious where you got that impression -- maybe an appliance manufacturer? Or was it anecdotal? If you can cite a reliable source, that would help! Thanks.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,964 Times in 5,351 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLonzo View Post
My motivation to turn off the refrigerator when I'm gone for several months, aside from savings on the electric bill, is to extend the life of the refrigerator by not using it as much. So your concern about damage by not keeping it running ran contrary to my thinking. My research online did not turn up any sites that confirm what you're saying. Most recommend keeping the fridge running if you're away for a month or less, and turning it off if away for more than a month.

I'm curious where you got that impression -- maybe an appliance manufacturer? Or was it anecdotal? If you can cite a reliable source, that would help! Thanks.
I don't have a source, but I don't see how turning off the refrigerator for several months will extend the life. Note that the refrigerator has a refrigerant just like an air conditioner does. The refrigerant contains a lubricating oil that is needed to keep the moving parts of the compressor and the seals lubricated so they do not dry out and leak, or start to rust. When you shut down the system, this lubrication stops functioning. It makes sense to me that keeping the refrigerator running continuously is the best way to ensure a long lasting refrigerator.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-07-2024 at 04:29 AM.

Tags
shut, months, home, extended, thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.