What temperature do you keep your house at on a cold day??

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Temp perception is an issue too.

It is very humid here, as we all know, but that makes the colder temps seem colder than the same temp would "feel" in a less humid environment.

Growing up in Fl, we felt we needed sweaters and jackets in the winter with temps in the 50's. After moving to Utah we found that 50's were shirt sleeve weather.

Now back in Fl. we feel the need for warmer clothes at higher temps than out west where it is very dry. 50 degrees does not equal 50 degrees if the humidity is vastly different.

The increased humidity will make you feel chilled to the bone!
Old 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM
Gold member

Gracie,
You are catching a lot of flack here!
I, for one, love you posts!!
XXOO
Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It's a waste of time to ask how others set their thermostat because everyone is different based on their percentage of body fat. Also, hypothyroidism may be a factor for some people.
Off topic, of course. OP is trying to find out why the same temp feels colder down here than with gas heat up north. Same person, same body weight, just a comparison of heating systems or the same temps in different parts of the country. OP's BMI has nothing to do with it.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
Location: New Hampshire, now Heathrow on Lake Deaton Preserve.

I wondered about gas vs electric because in TV ads for real estate, realtors emphasize as a positive quality, when a home is heated with gas. I therefore surmised that it must be more cost efficient but I am not familiar with the actual percentage saved. I also recall a thread in which someone asked why anyone would buy a resale home instead of a new one, and one of the answers was that the new ones do not have gas.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:56 AM
Veteran member

67 heat....78 ac
Old 12-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Registers in the ceiling instead of the floor

We have moved a lot. The houses that were in warm climates were colder in the winter with the same thermostat setting. The HAV guy told me it is because the systems are ducted for AC with the registers run in the ceiling and that the air especially with high ceilings doesn't get down to were you are sitting because hot air rises. It goes down to were the thermostat is about five feet off the floor and turns off the unit.
I didn't do it, ( because we were only going to be there two years) but he suggested running a duct down the wall and putting a low register behind were we sit at night or installing a fan in the duct right above us that would blow the air down. I was afraid the fan idea would be noisy.
Old 12-11-2014, 02:40 PM

Heat 68
AC 78
Old 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Sage

short answer 70 heat 78 ac
questions
1] I only use 1 side of my house so I closed the vents on the other side and closed the pocket door. This shouldn't be a problem, should it?
2] Should I turn on my ceiling fans? Should they rotate to blow the air down or pull the air up?
3] I also like the MBR cooler and don't care about how warm the laundry room is too. I wonder what would happen if I closed those vents too.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
questions
1] I only use 1 side of my house so I closed the vents on the other side and closed the pocket door. This shouldn't be a problem, should it?
2] Should I turn on my ceiling fans? Should they rotate to blow the air down or pull the air up?
3] I also like the MBR cooler and don't care about how warm the laundry room is too. I wonder what would happen if I closed those vents too.
I do know that if you have clothing in the closet and there is no air circulation in the room the clothes will start to smell musty. We didn't have the air conditioning on much for the past month or so and I noticed that the clothes in my master closet were starting to smell stale. I put a fan in there to move the air around.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I do know that if you have clothing in the closet and there is no air circulation in the room the clothes will start to smell musty. We didn't have the air conditioning on much for the past month or so and I noticed that the clothes in my master closet were starting to smell stale. I put a fan in there to move the air around.
I got lucky. My style house has a vent in the MBR closet. There are no clothes in the other closets.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
Sage

Heat--72-day. 69 night

A/C---74-day,69 night
Old 12-11-2014, 03:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I prefer 68 during the day, off at night, just a cosy duvet. My husband prefers 74 all the time.
It's a dilemma when one likes it cool and one likes it hot.
My DW has what she calls "personal summers", so she is more comfortable at cooler temps.
But generally, we keep the heat set at 68 and the cool setting at 74.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Off topic, of course. OP is trying to find out why the same temp feels colder down here than with gas heat up north. Same person, same body weight, just a comparison of heating systems or the same temps in different parts of the country. OP's BMI has nothing to do with it.
The opening question was: "What temp do you keep your house at on a day like today?"

To ask that question means it would be a different person and different body weight.

And people are answering as follows:

Quote:
Tomwed: 70 heat, 78 ac
Quote:
TomOB: Heat 68, AC 78
Quote:
joldnol: 67 heat.....78 ac
Old 12-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
questions
During winter heating, to help move warm air that is trapped on the ceiling, blades should turn 'forward' in a clockwise motion. This movement will push up the air and pull the warm trapped air down the sides of the room improving heat distribution.

During hot summer weather, to help produce a comfortable breeze or 'windchill' that cools the skin, blades should rotate in a 'reverse' counter-clockwise motion. The air movement has the same comfortable effect as when you fan yourself with a magazine to get relief from hot, stifling air.

9 unintended consequences of closing vents
Let me now summarize the problems I've described above that can result from closing vents in your home. The first thing that happens is the air pressure in the duct system increases, which may give rise to these negative consequences:

Increased duct leakage
Lower air flow with PSC blowers
Increased energy use with ECM blowers
Comfort problems because of low air flow
Frozen air conditioner coil
Dead compressor
Cracked heat exchanger, with the potential for getting carbon monoxide in your home
Increased infiltration/exfiltration due to unbalanced leakage , as I described last week
Condensation and mold growth in winter due to lower surface temperatures in rooms with closed vents
You're not guaranteed to get all the problems that apply to your system, but why take the chance.

so i just went back and opened all my vents again.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
What temperature do you keep your house at on a day like today? I tried the 74 like we had up North but that seems too cold. Not sure if it is because we had gas heat and here we have a heat pump? I nearly froze last night with the temp at 75.
nobody has an answer for you, don't you know when you are comfortable???

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.