What are they thinking?

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2020, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,382 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
?? You want a mandate to the mandate because the original mandate was ineffective?

It could very well be that people were ignoring the mandate. It's hard to imagine since here, even without a mandate, there are a lot of masks being worn. But isn't it also possible that for all that masks *might* help, they are not effective enough? If that's the case then a mask mandate would just give a false sense of security which would lead to people dropping their guard and ultimately to even more infections.
Sorry.
You lost me after the third mandate!
Old 11-17-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I would say that is why they bring in the mandates.
Just maybe, if people had listened to the advice to wear a mask earlier, instead of looking for any spurious reason not to, mandates would not have been needed.
How hard is it to pop one on when needed?
A little protection is better than none!
It's because of the side effects that folks do not wish to wear masks for long periods. Do you really want to have your ears stick out and look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Ears.gif
Views:	290
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	86980  
Old 11-17-2020, 02:42 PM
Sage

Calm down. I don't think we will see "hundreds of people dying every day" in Sumter County. We have had a total of 89 deaths attributed to the coronavirus to-date. Many establishments are either requiring or requesting masks be worn already. Most people I see inside are wearing a mask already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
Exactly! To try to keep it under control here, we need a mask mandate. We should not wait until hundreds of people are dying every day to take common-sense measures to prevent needless deaths and a disaster for our local economy.

There is no longer any doubt whatsoever that masks save lives.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advogado View Post
th
Your statement is inconsistent with reports that I have seen, but I am always willing to be educated. What is your source? The two states with the highest rates of infection, by far, are the non-masking states of N. and S. Dakota, although N. Dakota just woke up to reality and implemented a mask mandate.

Even if your statistics are true, there is no doubt that masks work to reduce infections. Remember that the non-masking-mandate states (like N. and S. Dakota) tend to be rural, with a scattered population and much less crowding and reliance on mass transit, i.e., inherently lower risk. Furthermore, the non-masking states probably do far less testing than the masking-mandate states.
I posted the chart for Pennsylvania in an earlier response. They are one of the long term mask mandate states. They are spiking way up now. You can go to that site and plug in every state to compare. Mask mandates are ineffective. Either because people don’t comply, or because masks really don’t have an appreciable effect...
Old 11-17-2020, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,022 Times in 1,748 Posts

Why is it that when I wear a mask I am called “fearful” but when an astronaut wears a similar mask, he is called “disciplined”?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	692E00AB-4CD3-4780-8123-9438331CCA31.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	86981  
Old 11-17-2020, 05:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
It's because of the side effects that folks do not wish to wear masks for long periods. Do you really want to have your ears stick out and look like this?
Vanity means nothing when in a box in the ground.
Old 11-17-2020, 05:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
States with mask mandates are spiking at a higher level than states without mask mandates.
That could be really useful information. Source please.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:18 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
So explain why states that have mandatory mask mandates are spiking at a rates equal to or higher than states without mandatory mask requirements? Look at the states & look at the number of positive cases. Then based on those numbers, justify why “we need immediate county action on a mask mandate”.
I think the reason may be that the mask mandates came a little too late. The proverbial horse was out of the barn.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,170 Times in 1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
They are not listing "new cases" honestly. They are listing test results (all positive test results) as "new cases" because they do not check to see if the testee had tested positive before. If one is tested, then they get tested again until they test negative. You can have one person tested four or five times that is counted as four or five "new cases" which is not being labeled truthfully.
Like someone else said, the only way to get an accurate (if that) reading is to count deaths contributed to the virus. Even then, one can die of something else and be counted "covid related."
I don't pay attention to any of the numbers or statistics. What I pay attention to is if the hospitals are over whelmed, if the health care providers are exhausted and the staff just can not keep up with the patient demands. I also pay attention to how many satellite hospital beds are being set up, especially for large cities. I pay attention to refrigerated trucks in use to store the dead bodies because morgues are at max.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,170 Times in 1,931 Posts

Quote:
I posted the chart for Pennsylvania in an earlier response. They are one of the long term mask mandate states. They are spiking way up now. You can go to that site and plug in every state to compare. Mask mandates are ineffective. Either because people don’t comply, or because masks really don’t have an appreciable effect...
Masks most certainly would be more effective if everyone wore their mask correctly. A mask worn below the nose is like not wearing a mask at all. Think about this......when you are tested with a long swab, it is your naso pharynx that is swabbed. That is the swab up the nose. So......why wear a mask with the nose exposed? Oh....to breath better? That is no excuse. Sorry.

Wearing a mask below the chin is absolutely useless but yet, I see people in public indoor spaces wearing their mask below their chin. Just silly. Take the damn thing off if that is how you wear it.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Masks most certainly would be more effective if everyone wore their mask correctly. A mask worn below the nose is like not wearing a mask at all. Think about this......when you are tested with a long swab, it is your naso pharynx that is swabbed. That is the swab up the nose. So......why wear a mask with the nose exposed? Oh....to breath better? That is no excuse. Sorry.

Wearing a mask below the chin is absolutely useless but yet, I see people in public indoor spaces wearing their mask below their chin. Just silly. Take the damn thing off if that is how you wear it.
Actually, the predominant source of viral particles coming from a human, comes out of the mouth during normal breathing. The primary source of infection is through the nose. If a person sneezes, it comes out both. Standard breathing however, more virus is ejected via the mouth.

In other words, those people with the chin strap mask are somewhat protecting you, but are not protecting themselves at all.

What a mask does is reduce your inoculum (Your dose). You will still be exposed to virus, but to a smaller quantity at any one time. This allows your body to build a response before it is overwhelmed and you have a better chances of a good outcomes.

Distance is truly the only way to be sure you are not exposed. Anyone that is compromised must avoid exposure and only wear an N95 or better(full face respirator) in any setting with other people of unknown infection status.

Masks, at least those commonly available to normies, are something, but they aren't much. Suggesting that universal masking would halt the pandemic simply isn't the case. They do help improve the number of minor or asymptomatic cases though.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I don't pay attention to any of the numbers or statistics. What I pay attention to is if the hospitals are over whelmed, if the health care providers are exhausted and the staff just can not keep up with the patient demands. I also pay attention to how many satellite hospital beds are being set up, especially for large cities. I pay attention to refrigerated trucks in use to store the dead bodies because morgues are at max.
I think I saw that movie on the SyFy channel. Things are pretty peaceful around here and the hospital is not overwhelmed by the infected.
I have no problem with wearing a mask when appropriate, BUT I will not be mandated by law to wear one. Once you allow them that much power then they can force anything on you. It's not an exaggeration. Just look at other countries that have allowed the gov TOO much power. It ain't pretty.
Old 11-18-2020, 03:59 PM

Don't like it, then stay away! Like it, then party on!
Old 11-18-2020, 05:03 PM

A mask does not do much to protect you. It protects others from you. If there is not a mask mandate in the squares you are crazy to go there or an avid gambler, but this may be with your life.
Old 11-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
So, entertainment at the town squares were closed when the pandemic was under much better control than it currently is. Fast forward, the pandemic numbers have never been worse, and a massive influx of potential Covid spreaders are migrating south. Then the seasonal influx of high risk children and grandchildren visitors will follow. People from all over the country will be flying to Florida and converging on the 55 plus community that has been relatively safe during the slow season, where the older and more vulnerable full time residents generally take appropriate precautions. Despite this, starting next week the town squares will go back to business as usual, like the pandemic doesn’t even exist, WTF?

Could there possibly be a worse time to decide to open everything back up? I get that the powers that be need to sell all the houses they are cranking out, and it’s hard to sell houses without being able to showcase the Villages experience. But this could backfire in a big way if the Villages Covid numbers spike, which they most likely will. Not only that, but all the new houses they are trying to sell will have to compete with all the new pre-owned homes that will go on the market vacated by unfortunate Covid victims.

OK, all the Covid deniers, let me have it, I can deal with it.
I agree totally. But it's all about the money and real estate sales. Otherwise why would they risk an epidemic of covid here, which would make national news after all the times Villages was shown during the rallies and golf cart parades. Terrible chance to take and could take it's toll, along with our home values.
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, sell, pandemic, houses, back

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.