Cabinet door handles

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2007, 04:19 AM
Default Cabinet door handles

This may sound like a silly question but I gotta ask it. Recently purchased a Savannah Courtyard Villa in Hadley Village.

What I found crazy was that not one cabinet or drawer throughout the villa had a handle. In the kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere.

Now is this normal? Are handles for drawers,cabinets and so on something TV don't install ever.

Since we have seen many properties prior to purchase have never taken the time to check this out from Premier, Designers, etc homes.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:40 AM
Sage
Default Re: Cabinet door handles

I had to buy 72 handles for my Bridgeport model home.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:14 AM

I also bought and installed knobs and handles on all of the cabinets in my two bedroom ranch.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

My Patio Villa had all the handles but I didn't like them, so I changed all of them..

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 12-15-2007, 03:46 PM

We have the Gardenia and there was not one handle or knob on any of the cabinets throughout the house. We purchased and installed around 50 handles and it makes a world of difference.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

I once had a kitchen without handles on cabinets. The thought was that they would be easier to clean. Open by touch and pulling bottom of door.
Tampa, FL
Old 12-15-2007, 04:01 PM

I did not handles on my cabinets of my CYV. Did not add them because doors were easy to open. Only downside was that on one cabinet the finish was worn where I kept opening it.
Here in my ranch I have them because the people who owned it before installed them. They look nice but I catch myself opening the doors without using the handles like I did before. Bad me!!
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Sage

We have pulls and knobs on all kitchen and bath cabinets in our Lantana designer home. I always thought it was pretty standard here, but, now guess not.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Gold member

Not a knob or handle to be found in my Juniper.
I also thought it odd.
Still can't decide whether to add the hardware or not.
I am afraid the heavily used cabinets will start to show wear from the use without a knob.
:dontknow:
Old 12-15-2007, 09:20 PM

Thank You all for your replies. I now feel tons better knowing that my question wasn't silly after all. That TV cut corners to save $$$$.

When I arrive in a couple weeks I will need to add them. Loews/Home Depot here I come.

Would anybody care to install them for me?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Veteran member

I COULD make a joke about missing knobs but I'll let that go!!!! We bought a courtyard villa and first thing I noticed was no knobs/handles on any of the cabinets in kitchen or baths. We hired a guy and he bought and installed knobs to match our counter tops. I am delighted to have them. Changes the entire look for a few bucks and I don't know why the builders didn't include them. ???
Old 12-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Veteran member

My ranch in TV has knobs, but when I redid my kitchen here in Ohio, I decided to forgo knobs. Reason being it is a galley kitchen and the knobs made it look to "busy". Didn't realize some homes in TV didn't have knobs!

Becky
Old 12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbalarry
This may sound like a silly question but I gotta ask it. Recently purchased a Savannah Courtyard Villa in Hadley Village.

What I found crazy was that not one cabinet or drawer throughout the villa had a handle. In the kitchen, bathrooms, everywhere.

Now is this normal? Are handles for drawers,cabinets and so on something TV don't install ever.

Since we have seen many properties prior to purchase have never taken the time to check this out from Premier, Designers, etc homes.
When building in Central NY, bought and installed my own knobs after trying "no-knobs" (also known as pulls) for 6 months. As someone else pointed out, we tend to remove the finish from the doors with repeated contact at a certain opening point on the door.

No knobs gives a cleaner neater late 90's look to the cabinets. However, we selected knobs for our designer 4 years ago (was an option), and again for our second home that we moved to 3 years ago. Design input was still an option for our second home. Even with our own choices both times, there were still items that were missed and we would have done different. Believe me, those were 3-4 stress filled days for each home, sometimes lasting until early evening with the design people. Leaving very little time for "happy hour". Everything was a choice beyond the basic structure. It included roof lines, shingles choices and everything in the interior from appliances to ceiling textures to corners, paint choices, cabinets. You name it, everything inside the shell including windows, insulation, window sills, etc. Now you see why we needed an extended "happy hour".

Having said all that, it should be pointed out that we have seen many "spec-houses" that incorporate everything we would ever want at less stress. Have the wife convinced that we won't move again. At least she has me believing that.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 AM
Gold member

When we bought our (resale) Bougainvillea (sp?) recently, we learned that the knobs that are on our kitchen cabinets had been an option rather than standard when the house was built. From the sound of the thread, fewer homes were built WITH cabinet knobs than WITHOUT them. Odd, we thought, but that's the way it is....
Old 12-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Veteran member

Take one ruler, marking pencil, cordless drill with 3/64's bit, screwdriver, one 12 pack of pull knobs,one 12 pack of drawer pulls available at Walmarts and have at it, completion time 2 hours
Handie :joke:

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.