What troubles me most about the Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Default Re: What troubles me most about the Villages?

I agree with Russ_Boston. In Mass. all traffic laws are optional depending on the circumstances. No traffic? Don't stop. No cops in area...OK to speed.

Heck, even the State Cops in MA blow by you at 80 or 90 mph. I called them on that during a court case years ago where I was cited for following the cop at the outrageous speed of 75 mph on an open 65 mph highway. I stated to the judge that I was merely following the police car who I was certain wasn't speeding because he had no blue lights flashing and was just driving along. Certainly the official car would be observing the speed limit wouldn't he? The cop said he needed to travel faster than the speed limit to "observe traffic". He said he clocked me in his rear view mirror. The just said sorry, case dismissed.

One way to meet the FL requirements for wheels stopping at the intersection would be to approach at about 60mph then lock up the wheels, sliding through the stop sign and then continue on your way. ;D

Seriously, though, I am appalled at the totally clueless drivers here. I don't consider the stop signs a huge issue but just plain clueless driving and the road and roundabouts is crazy. I mean backing up in a roundabout? Entering from the right and cutting off oncoming traffic. It's all just too unbelievable. I'm a very experienced driver who used to do between 50-100k per yr and I'll take New York or Mass. any day over the crazy drivers here. Maybe it's the same special Villages Kool Aid that gets people to buy here.

Or maybe it's a midwest thing. Long straight stretches with no turns or stop signs. ???
Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Sage

Well stated Captain although I think the roundabouts in TV are absolutely necessary. Imagine if everyone one of them was replaced with a stop sign or light? The traffic in Jan, Feb, Mar would be horrendous.

As far as using blinkers, I say save the energy - only use them when they are needed :joke:
Old 05-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

And you guys wonder why Bostonians are ranked up there with Romans as truly bad drivers? sheesh!!!!!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
. Yeah, Yeah, I know it's the law but where in America do we come to complete stops on roads that have such clear visibility and you can see if anyone is coming.
Does this also apply to red traffic signals. If we can see that nobody is coming must we come to a comple stop. If not, why not? If so, why so?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:17 PM
Sage

Jan, you know come to think of it I have taken a left at a red without thinking about it. Not correct or legal I know but heck the lanes were clear.

Seriously the one thing that bugs me is sitting at a red light for 2 minutes without one single car coming the other way(s). It's 2008, lets get technology working for us and install sensors at every light that lasts more than 20 seconds. Heck I'm on the road every day at 5 AM for work or golf and I'm the only one sitting at these lights. Type A northeast personality? Maybe.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 PM

Russ...good point about the technology. It's extraordinarily wasteful of gas to be starting and stopping. Sensors could determine the traffic flow and adjust signals accordingly. This is done in many big cities these days. Also keeps the traffic moving better.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:13 AM

Why is the video gone? I thought it was great and wanted to show my husband. :
Old 05-28-2008, 01:42 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenian
Why is the video gone? I thought it was great and wanted to show my husband. :
The video is still there.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Veteran member

Jan...if you're serious about wanting to do something about the problem, you will show the video to the Sheriff. Otherwise, I guess you're just using this forum to vent and/or increase clicks. I would guess that the GREAT majority of Villagers don't see your venting here, so there are few deaf ears for your venting to fall on, so to speak.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Jan...if you're serious about wanting to do something about the problem, you will show the video to the Sheriff. Otherwise, I guess you're just using this forum to vent and/or increase clicks. I would guess that the GREAT majority of Villagers don't see your venting here, so there are few deaf ears for your venting to fall on, so to speak.
I don't think you understand the power of a public forum such as this. The people get a lot accomplished when they speak pulbicly. Don't worry, the sheriff has seen this. In so far as increasing clicks, heaven forbid that I should do something that would increase the value of my forum.
I don't believe you know me very well. If you would like to know about the things that I know how to accomplish, ask Tony. He knows me better than anybody on earth.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

I should have never doubted :redface:
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

[quote=captain1202 ]
I agree with Russ_Boston. In Mass. all traffic laws are optional depending on the circumstances. No traffic? Don't stop. No cops in area...OK to speed.

Heck, even the State Cops in MA blow by you at 80 or 90 mph. I called them on that during a court case years ago where I was cited for following the cop at the outrageous speed of 75 mph on an open 65 mph highway. I stated to the judge that I was merely following the police car who I was certain wasn't speeding because he had no blue lights flashing and was just driving along. Certainly the official car would be observing the speed limit wouldn't he? The cop said he needed to travel faster than the speed limit to "observe traffic". He said he clocked me in his rear view mirror. The just said sorry, case dismissed.

One way to meet the FL requirements for wheels stopping at the intersection would be to approach at about 60mph then lock up the wheels, sliding through the stop sign and then continue on your way. ;D

Seriously, though, I am appalled at the totally clueless drivers here. I don't consider the stop signs a huge issue but just plain clueless driving and the road and roundabouts is crazy. I mean backing up in a roundabout? Entering from the right and cutting off oncoming traffic. It's all just too unbelievable. I'm a very experienced driver who used to do between 50-100k per yr and I'll take New York or Mass. any day over the crazy drivers here. Maybe it's the same special Villages Kool Aid that gets people to buy here.

Or maybe it's a midwest thing. Long straight stretches with no turns or stop signs. ? quote"

You're kidding right???

A MIDWEST THING? Rules. Manners. Consideration for others versus selfishness and lack of patience. Traffic laws are laws.

GracieGirl. A proud Midwesterner.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Gracie, you go girl! Heck, even most Californians understand that a stop sign means stop. Not slow down. Not coast. But STOP!! Signals are not only a courtesy but things of safety. It's about as hard to put on a turn signal (use a finger and push the lever up for right, down for left) as it is to stop. There's no excuse for not doing either.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Sage

If you put your blinkers on and there is no one around to see them do they still go on??? :joke:
Old 05-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Sage

Chill Gracie. I assume you didn't see the little joker icon on the end. Supposed to be a play on 'if a tree falls in the woods..."

Don't worry I use my blinkers (well, most of the time).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.