Can't swim

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 PM
Platinum member
Default Can't swim

I cannot swim. If someone throws me in the water, I will fall to the bottom faster than a brick. At 63 years old, I feel it’s time I learn. I have visited the pools a few times and I float around with those tubes wrapped around me. Life is passing me by. Is it too late to teach an old dog new tricks? If not, how can I learn? Are there any clubs/organizations that’ll teach me?
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Veteran member

Yes, you can learn!! I don't know from who, but undoubtedly you can find a good teacher!

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Sage

A prior thread on the topic:

swimming lessons

For the link to the Recreation News that Russ refers to, go to www.thevillagesdailysun.com then click on 'Recreation News' which is under 'Links' towards the top of the screen. Then go have a cup of coffee while it downloads! Or just stop by one of the rec centers to pick up a print edition.

Bill
Old 05-10-2011, 09:07 PM

i know the rec dept gives swim lessons at the savannah sports pool every year call them or check thursday's rec news
lifelong learning college would be another source
i know several folks who were afraid of pools who now swim thanks to these good lessons. sports pool are relatively shallow so you're never over your head
Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 AM

I noticed last night in the Livelong Learning Catalog for new couses that there are beginning swimming classes (3 weeks) Sep 6-22 $63. There are others too I think but those are the ones I wrote down based on our summer plans for going north for a week or two. Check it out, therte are others listed as well.

High on my list as well, I am in the same boat, Tom.

Ray
Old 05-11-2011, 07:05 AM

Tom, my wife, Floss, is also a non swimmer and she is looking forward to taking lessons offered by the rec department later this year.

I'm a firm believer that we grow most when we push ourselves to go outside our comfort zone, so go and swim on....

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 AM
Eternal Member

There a Swim Clinic in progress now at the Savannah Rec Center. I believe it is twice a week for 4 weeks.

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:16 AM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
I cannot swim. If someone throws me in the water, I will fall to the bottom faster than a brick. At 63 years old, I feel it’s time I learn. I have visited the pools a few times and I float around with those tubes wrapped around me. Life is passing me by. Is it too late to teach an old dog new tricks? If not, how can I learn? Are there any clubs/organizations that’ll teach me?
And once you get the hang of it, you'll really enjoy. It is known to be the best all around exercise. See you in the pool!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Sage

Quote:
Tom:

I can't swim either. They got the idea for a submarine when they threw me in the water.

It would be nice to learn as I can't seem to relax enough when I know I'm in over my head.

Best wishes for your future success.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Swimming

Quote:

Assume you're still on the Island.

Relax. Need to walk before you run. You need to learn how to float first.

There has to be a place say less than 3 ft deep ( You want the security I know) where you can simply stand up if you tense up. Cause tense people will sink!

That's the key. don't be a scared! lay on your back and just float. Take a breath so you submerge for a few seconds. You'll bop right up.

Once you get over the fear of sinking. A good coach can help.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Gold member
Default me either

Quote:
I can't swim/float but I can wade and walk in the pool and don't see why I need to swim. yes, in NY I live on an island but if you don't go in the ocean it isn't obstacle. I can just use the community pool to wade in.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Diane Castle is a wonderful teacher, and she does beginner and intermediate swim lessons through the Learning College. She also does private lessons. She's on The Villages Aquatic swim team and has won a lot of medals in her own right. But she's a fanatastic teacher and can teach the basics and help one overcome fear of the water. 750-1929.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM
Veteran member
Question

Quote:

You never swam in Lake Ronkonkoma?
Wanabee future TVer
Old 05-11-2011, 01:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskman View Post
You never swam in Lake Ronkonkoma?
Lake Ronkonkoma is walking distance from my LI home. To answer your question. "NO! Even if I could swin as good as Mark Spitz or Tarzan I would never dip my body into Lake Ronkonkoma. It is not (at least I hope not) a place bottled water companies collect their natural spring water.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.