What was/is Your Biggest Concern about TV

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2013, 05:44 AM
Sage

Budgets are in place for all the activities I can see. Where are the subsidies ?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Budgets are in place for all the activities I can see. Where are the subsidies ?
The budgets are for only things that are CDD owned or controlled. Potential areas of cutback could be:

town square entertainment
town square festivals
championship golf
Daily Sun
movie theaters (i.e. higher ticket prices)
Life Long Learning Center
Savanah Center entertainment
polo matches
WVLG
TV station

Note, that I didn't say that there ARE subsidies, but all of the above could be subsidized by the developer to create a market for houses.

Even if not subsidized, the developer can change his business model to reflect the changing need to sell houses. For example, he could take away the requirement for town square merchants to kick in a fee to provide entertainment on the squares. This would end the music. Or, the budget for entertainment could be reduced, thus reducing the quality of entertainment or the number of nights that it is made available.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Sage

Every entity you mentioned except the festivals is privately owned.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:25 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Every entity you mentioned except the festivals is privately owned.
What is your source of information concerning private ownership of all of the above?

I've heard rumors of the Vescos "owning" the entertainment department but I have never seen details confirming this. There may indeed have been some transfer of authority - perhaps, whereas Barbara used to be an employee of TV, she now runs her own business of contracting with the entertainers, but the entertainers are still being paid by the developer from the funds he collects (and potentially subsidizes) from the merchants. I have not seen any confirmed details of this transaction - hence it is on my "concern" list.

Likewise the transfer of ownership of the Daily Sun.

I have not heard any reports of the learning center being privately owned, nor the championship golf courses, nor the radio station, etc.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Sage

The Lifelong Learning College is affiliated with:

University of Florida Extension Services
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS)
Serving Lake, Marion and Sumter Counties 352-793-272

And there are opportunities for residents to become Patron Membership donors. It's voluntary and probably done by people who appreciate what's offered and accomplished in the school.

http://www.thevillageslifelongcolleg...filiations.pdf
Old 04-02-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
The Lifelong Learning College is affiliated with:

University of Florida Extension Services
Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS)
Serving Lake, Marion and Sumter Counties 352-793-272

And there are opportunities for residents to become Patron Membership donors. It's voluntary and probably done by people who appreciate what's offered and accomplished in the school.

http://www.thevillageslifelongcolleg...filiations.pdf
My concern before moving here was will I be able to find a job. Now my concern is why can't I find a job that pays a decent wage.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Gold member

I can't imagine anyone expecting a competitive wage in a state that is known for retirement living, has a service-based economy, and has no state income tax.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfal View Post
My concern before moving here was will I be able to find a job. Now my concern is why can't I find a job that pays a decent wage.
This is the reason I did not move to TV when I first saw it. Not only are the wages lower but most jobs don't have medical benefits. Since I was not eligible for medicare and I am not a gambler. A friend of mine had heart surgery and if for some unknown. resason I would require something like that, I would have had to file for bankrupcy.

So sorry that you are in this type of situation. I hope you find something that is acceptable.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-03-2013, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Please all wannabes do your due diligence. Don't move here having to depend on a job that you have not secured.

I would skin my grandkids for that. My kids already know it. My folks would have too.

I am called a fiscal conservative.

Also a B.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Gold member

I'm really having a hard time understanding the 'congestion' problem. Other that a few times there were long waits at restaurants I have not found traffic or overcrowding to be a problem. Maybe since we just moved here I am still in awe of not having to be in city traffic or not having to share the road in winter with people that think if they drive over 5 mph in snow they will die. Seriously, where is all the the congestion? I haven't seen it. Depending on the entertainment the squares can get crowded but I have never been unable to park. Maybe the folks that notice it more are those from rural areas? I'm just not getting it.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I'm really having a hard time understanding the 'congestion' problem. Other that a few times there were long waits at restaurants I have not found traffic or overcrowding to be a problem. Maybe since we just moved here I am still in awe of not having to be in city traffic or not having to share the road in winter with people that think if they drive over 5 mph in snow they will die. Seriously, where is all the the congestion? I haven't seen it. Depending on the entertainment the squares can get crowded but I have never been unable to park. Maybe the folks that notice it more are those from rural areas? I'm just not getting it.
I love reading this post. My wife and I have visited twice...once during the winter...and have not thought the crowds/traffic were bad either. But we've been concerned maybe we're missing something! Heheh. We're planning to move to TV later this year from Pinellas County and I've seen nothing in TV to compare with traffic here yet.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Being an original city boy from NY, I would like to experience what some people say is crowding in TV. I have been to the squares when a popular band was playing but I didn't find it excessively overbearing. A lot of people yes, but nothing like a big city congestion. IMHO

I think it's all one's perception and what they are use to.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I think they must mean they are the 3rd cart in line at a stop sign sometimes.

Or maybe compared to summer, when the traffic really dies down.

When it's the high season here, sometimes you actually don't make it thru the green light and have to wait about 2.5 minutes for the next one (and this is probably only during "rush" hour). On the coasts, in high season, you might travel 1 mile in 45 minutes. There really is no comparison, IMO.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
Sage

We are not comparing the traffic to a big city or the coast. I believe those of us saying how congested it is are basing this on how everything flows so lovely in the summer. No traffic, no lines, tee-times always available and just a nice slow pace.

I am grateful for those coming during high season that keep everything going and reminds us living here full time to appreciate the glory days of summer!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 PM

1) We were about to purchase right about the time Bernie Madoff came into our lives. I was concerned that he was somehow involved...too good to be true.

2) That when it all finally built out, it will be sold to an outside company, and things will change. I love it here and my children do as well - it really IS Lower Paradise!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.