What is your perception of Gary Morse?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I truly admire the business acumen of the Morse family. TV is an amazing place and I will be eternally grateful to Mr. Schwartz for conceiving of it, Gary Morse for enlarging the vision and Mark Morse for continuing the legacy.

All of that being said, I still stand by my opinion that the Morse family is greedy. They nickel and dime TVers, especially newbies who know no better. A couple of examples: When Empty Nest was run by the developer (i.e., the Morse family), they charged $3.50 a day to check a home once a week. This fee was outrageous. They have now sold that portion of their services (or so it is claimed, although I'm not entirely convinced -- if you go through enough corporate records, you will find it is still a subsidiary of the Morses and still charges higher rates than the norm). The Villages Golf Carts is owned by the Morses -- their carts are priced higher than anywhere else around here; their rental fees are higher than anyone around here (and for a lesser, slower cart). They charge businesses a little higher sales (not profit, SALES) rate than the majority of malls in the U.S. and there is no negotiating that fee. They could easily put their fees in line with those of other businesses in and around TV but have no need to do so -- people will use their services and products because they know no better or have no choice if they want to do business in TV.

So, I thank Mr. Schwartz and the Morses for their visions and willingness to put their livelihood on the line in building TV and making it what it is today. I also do my best to not do business in a Morse-owned property (direct ownership or via a subsidiary). I can usually find at least equal to, if not better, services and products by others at lower prices.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I truly admire the business acumen of the Morse family. TV is an amazing place and I will be eternally grateful to Mr. Schwartz for conceiving of it, Gary Morse for enlarging the vision and Mark Morse for continuing the legacy.

All of that being said, I still stand by my opinion that the Morse family is greedy. They nickel and dime TVers, especially newbies who know no better. A couple of examples: When Empty Nest was run by the developer (i.e., the Morse family), they charged $3.50 a day to check a home once a week. This fee was outrageous. They have now sold that portion of their services (or so it is claimed, although I'm not entirely convinced -- if you go through enough corporate records, you will find it is still a subsidiary of the Morses and still charges higher rates than the norm). The Villages Golf Carts is owned by the Morses -- their carts are priced higher than anywhere else around here; their rental fees are higher than anyone around here (and for a lesser, slower cart). They charge businesses a little higher sales (not profit, SALES) rate than the majority of malls in the U.S. and there is no negotiating that fee. They could easily put their fees in line with those of other businesses in and around TV but have no need to do so -- people will use their services and products because they know no better or have no choice if they want to do business in TV.

So, I thank Mr. Schwartz and the Morses for their visions and willingness to put their livelihood on the line in building TV and making it what it is today. I also do my best to not do business in a Morse-owned property (direct ownership or via a subsidiary). I can usually find at least equal to, if not better, services and products by others at lower prices.
This seems like a double edged sword! One side is worn and soft the other is sharp and cutting.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default One can see the evolution in concept, design and the times by

just looking at the community as it progressed from the historic area, to Spanish Springs being built and the surrounding infrastructure and homes and Reina Sales Center, then widening 466 pushing Buena Vista and Morse Blvd South, then Sumter Square with new sales center and ditto all above and then further South to 466A and again the sales center moves with the center of gravity of the new construction as do the models and soon on to the new town center on SR 44.
Going from single wide trailers to ranches then designers and as the sales of these took off they entered into Premier.

All very calculated. All by most any measure totally successful (this does not mean 100% because nothing ever is).

Yes Schwartz may have planted the seeds but Gary Morse had the moxy to take the seed and update it's germination to match the needs of the current market. As the marketing 101 book says, find a need then fulfill it.

That the family has done.

The real measure of success will come when we see how well this entity continues when ever the family says....we're done and are gone. Only then will we really find out the true cost of keeping our new found piece of heaven in TV. Hopefully the developer planning has extended investments that are planned to be a part of the turn over to fund the massive infrastructure we all enjoy.

Yes, the family gets an A + on their report card. There are very many developers across the country that would like to have the Morse's slow season!!!

btk
Old 10-23-2010, 12:27 PM
Sage

billethkid
Soaring Eagle member Join Date: Jul 2007

One can see the evolution in concept, design and the times by

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just looking at the community as it progressed from the historic area, to Spanish Springs being built and the surrounding infrastructure and homes and Reina Sales Center, then widening 466 pushing Buena Vista and Morse Blvd South, then Sumter Square with new sales center and ditto all above and then further South to 466A and again the sales center moves with the center of gravity of the new construction as do the models and soon on to the new town center on SR 44.
Going from single wide trailers to ranches then designers and as the sales of these took off they entered into Premier.

All very calculated. All by most any measure totally successful (this does not mean 100% because nothing ever is).

Yes Schwartz may have planted the seeds but Gary Morse had the moxy to take the seed and update it's germination to match the needs of the current market. As the marketing 101 book says, find a need then fulfill it.

That the family has done.

The real measure of success will come when we see how well this entity continues when ever the family says....we're done and are gone. Only then will we really find out the true cost of keeping our new found piece of heaven in TV. Hopefully the developer planning has extended investments that are planned to be a part of the turn over to fund the massive infrastructure we all enjoy.

Yes, the family gets an A + on their report card. There are very many developers across the country that would like to have the Morse's slow season!!!

btk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
btk:

Well said.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Sage

Just a note for 2BN and others: There is an easy way to quote the user (all or part of the quote) by using the quote button on the original post. You can then edit between the brackets ([]....[]).

Seems like a lot of users don't know this and try to cut and past into another post which isn't as useful in my opinion. Also makes quoting you easier than also pulling in the original + yours.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Sage

I believe Mr Schwartz often mixed with the residents.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 10-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Default It's still the buyer's choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
All of that being said, I still stand by my opinion that the Morse family is greedy. They nickel and dime TVers, especially newbies who know no better. A couple of examples: When Empty Nest was run by the developer (i.e., the Morse family), they charged $3.50 a day to check a home once a week. . . .
If consumers patronize a businessperson who is "greedy" because their price is higher, that is the consumer's choice. As "newbies", "we knew better" than to think that Empty Nest is the only place around who does that (open the newspaper ads, or say hello to the retired neighbor who charges $10/visit twice a month).

Outside TV, people might join one country club that excludes certain people and costs $40,000 dues per year with an initiation fee of $500,000 . . . or they might join a country club whose dues are $5,000/year with $10,000 initiation fee.

It's the consumer's choice which one they want. But here, we are all "members" of 9-10 exceptional country clubs without all the dues, initiation fees, minimum spending; golf greens fees are reasonable; etc.

I think A-Rod and LeBron are "greedy", too, but people always pay a bundle to see them. It's the fan's choice.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvItHere View Post
If consumers patronize a businessperson who is "greedy" because their price is higher, that is the consumer's choice. As "newbies", "we knew better" than to think that Empty Nest is the only place around who does that (open the newspaper ads, or say hello to the retired neighbor who charges $10/visit twice a month).

Outside TV, people might join one country club that excludes certain people and costs $40,000 dues per year with an initiation fee of $500,000 . . . or they might join a country club whose dues are $5,000/year with $10,000 initiation fee.

It's the consumer's choice which one they want. But here, we are all "members" of 9-10 exceptional country clubs without all the dues, initiation fees, minimum spending; golf greens fees are reasonable; etc.

I think A-Rod and LeBron are "greedy", too, but people always pay a bundle to see them. It's the fan's choice.
I'm pretty sure that is what Red said. She chooses not to patronize.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I too give the family an A+

Russ have you figured out who Gary Morse is or are you pulling our leg (btw Gary is 73).....gn
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default History of the Villages...

http://Complete Guide to The Villages Florida"

It seems like the pecking order is Harold Schwartz, Gary Morse, & Mark Morse.

A real good website about the history of TV.....b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney

Last edited by barb1191; 10-23-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

barb can you check your link, I get nothing....gn
Old 10-23-2010, 05:05 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
barb can you check your link, I get nothing....gn
Sorry, have tried every possible way I can think of i.e., Photobucket, cut/paste, upload, etc and can not succeed in pulling the website up into this website. Suggest that you find it the way I did by putting a search on it in your IP search engine. I don't usually have any luckl with PDA documents and this is what this one is. I have the document downloaded on my 'puter, but it won't allow me to upload it to photobucket or this website.

If anyone can help, greatfully appreciated as it is a great article of TV starting from the very beginning when H Schwartz first started OBG with another partner and then bought the partner out and that's when Gary Morse came into the picture and created this paradise. Yes, Gary Morse is the genious behind all of this and Mark Morse, his son seems to be following in his father's footsteps. The Morse family are hard-working members of this huge successful entity.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Eternal Member
Default Duh...

Just noted that what I was attempting to share with that website is a published book, obviously with proprietary restrictions. One is able to read it online though.....b

Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Russ have you figured out who Gary Morse is or are you pulling our leg (btw Gary is 73).....gn
I know a Barry Morse in Hadley. He's about 73.
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Sage

I also give the family an A+ for vision, leadership and business acumen. I admire that TV has remained a family enterprise and that now a third generation of the family seems poised to take the reins.

Questions have been raised about Gary Morse's business ethics with regard to the IRS issue, the sale of TV assets to company-controlled CDDs, alleged influence peddling and some spending of amenity fees that resulted in a successful lawsuit challenge.

On the IRS issue: it remains to be seen how it will come out, but he probably tested the boundaries. If he wins the case, I'd give him maybe a B +. If he doesn't win, I'll study the IRS evidence and conclusions before deciding.

Political influence peddling: I don't have enough information. If he did nothing illegal or improper, and I have no evidence to suggest he did, I'd give him an A- for political acumen without crossing the one.

Alleged inflated appraisal of assets sold to CDD's: If nothing else, the transactions seem to not have been arms length. B- is the best I can do. That's probably generous.

I also agree with BTK that the real test of sustainability will be post build out.

As for the quality of life in TV: A+ hands down. The Morse's deserve tremendous credit and appreciation for everything they got right.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.