What is your perception of Gary Morse?

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Default Amazed

I am amazed at how private the Morse family, and in particular, Gary Morse is. Most people with a successful business would want face recognition. I would love to buy a dvd documenting the history of how the family designed and built The Villages. Everytime I visit I am even more impressed with the attention to details. Just wish we could sell here in Jersey, then we wouldn't have missed Gracie's party, and we would have met many of you famous Villagers!
Old 10-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member

some people bask in the limelight, some prefer their privacy. FYI, from what i understand Mark Morse is spotted around town with some regularity...gn
Old 10-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
All of that being said, I still stand by my opinion that the Morse family is greedy. They nickel and dime TVers, especially newbies who know no better.
Sorry, Redwitch, I have to disagree about the greediness comment. People pay extra for convenience all the time. For example, the golf cart retailer owned by the developer is right here at the squares ... convenient.

Charging businesses more than the norm who wish to locate in one of the squares is a smart business move. By charging more, it weeds out those businesses that would not as successful. Therefore, we don't have mediocre shops and businesses at the squares, only the cream of the crop can afford their rates and that's why we have retailers and service providers that are excellent and highly successful. That's why we have desirable shops and professional businesses that we and those outside of TV want to frequent.

The developer has provided a solution to every need and filled every identifiable niche. If you had a massive business such as theirs, you would want to capture income from a variety of sources, rather than just from home sales.

Seems smart to me, not greedy.

Gracie, I'm not able to comment about any of the individuals in the Morse family. You specifically asked about Gary Morse. But I can say that I admire any family that can work together for a long period of time. Working with your family takes a great deal of respect and patience, love and understanding. Working with your family and making a paradise for retirees while taking in a profit -- extraordinary!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Bosoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Sorry, Redwitch, I have to disagree about the greediness comment. People pay extra for convenience all the time. For example, the golf cart retailer owned by the developer is right here at the squares ... convenient.

Charging businesses more than the norm who wish to locate in one of the squares is a smart business move. By charging more, it weeds out those businesses that would not as successful. Therefore, we don't have mediocre shops and businesses at the squares, only the cream of the crop can afford their rates and that's why we have retailers and service providers that are excellent and highly successful. That's why we have desirable shops and professional businesses that we and those outside of TV want to frequent.

The developer has provided a solution to every need and filled every identifiable niche. If you had a massive business such as theirs, you would want to capture income from a variety of sources, rather than just from home sales.

Well said!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:16 PM
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Well said!!!
Yep, I agree,too.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:28 PM

WOW, K9 Lovers, Great post. Bravo

Old 10-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post

Gracie, I'm not able to comment about any of the individuals in the Morse family. You specifically asked about Gary Morse. But I can say that I admire any family that can work together for a long period of time. Working with your family takes a great deal of respect and patience, love and understanding. Working with your family and making a paradise for retirees while taking in a profit -- extraordinary!
K9, too many businesses fail or move once their lease is up in the Squares because of the rental rates and the percentage of sales receipts. Rather than be willing to negotiate a workable rate, the developer simply lets the businesses go. That's not good business, that's greed.

Yes, Villagers pay for the convenience of shopping in TV and don't mind doing so, including me. I mind when it is one entity under the umbrella and guise of being different entities that have prices well beyond other local businesses. I will not do business with those stores and services.

I mind that I have to dig through tons of corporate records to discover that an entity is actually part and parcel of the developers, especially when it is announced that the entity has been sold and is no longer under the developer's umbrella. Again, I will not do business with that service.

Buy a home from the Morses? In a heartbeat! Buy from the Mercantile? Not me. Use the services of Blackhawk? Not me. Have TV Golf Cart service my cart or buy a cart from them? Not me.

As I said, I appreciate the fulfillment of a vision and I willingly pay for the privilege of living here. Like my best friend or my soul mate, I see their flaws and love them anyway. The same is true of TV. I don't have to like the developers to admire their accomplishments.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-24-2010, 04:26 AM
Platinum member

Last edited by Tom Hannon; 10-24-2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I truly admire the business acumen of the Morse family. TV is an amazing place and I will be eternally grateful to Mr. Schwartz for conceiving of it, Gary Morse for enlarging the vision and Mark Morse for continuing the legacy.

All of that being said, I still stand by my opinion that the Morse family is greedy. They nickel and dime TVers, especially newbies who know no better. A couple of examples: When Empty Nest was run by the developer (i.e., the Morse family), they charged $3.50 a day to check a home once a week. This fee was outrageous. They have now sold that portion of their services (or so it is claimed, although I'm not entirely convinced -- if you go through enough corporate records, you will find it is still a subsidiary of the Morses and still charges higher rates than the norm). The Villages Golf Carts is owned by the Morses -- their carts are priced higher than anywhere else around here; their rental fees are higher than anyone around here (and for a lesser, slower cart). They charge businesses a little higher sales (not profit, SALES) rate than the majority of malls in the U.S. and there is no negotiating that fee. They could easily put their fees in line with those of other businesses in and around TV but have no need to do so -- people will use their services and products because they know no better or have no choice if they want to do business in TV.

So, I thank Mr. Schwartz and the Morses for their visions and willingness to put their livelihood on the line in building TV and making it what it is today. I also do my best to not do business in a Morse-owned property (direct ownership or via a subsidiary). I can usually find at least equal to, if not better, services and products by others at lower prices.
My thoughts exactly. The question posed here is "what do you think of Gary Morse", not what you think of The Villages. Many of us posting here on TOTV actually live in The Villages, and we love it here with all the amenities, etc. I too am grateful that Harold Schwartz had the vision to get this place started, and the Morse relatives continue the legacy. But from my perspective there is a greedy aspect to the Morse business dealings. Everywhere you look they have their "hands in the pie" so to speak. You can call that good business acumen, or if you're on the receiving end of having to pay out, as we Villagers are, I think it is called taking advantage. Yes, as consumers we have the right to utilize other services, and many of us do. I didn't buy my furniture from Southern Lifestyles, another arm of the developer. I found the same products cheaper elsewhere, for example. But other people living here may not find it as easy to do so.

Another important case in point is the $40 million class action lawsuit filed against the Developer. Its shameful that things had to go that far, just so amenity services and facilities would be maintained. It seems to me that if Morse had really cared about the status of the facilities and services in The Villages, he would not have to be prodded by a lawsuit to do what is good for the community.

The the whole IRS bond thing is another issue the Villagers have been saddled with, thanks to the "business acumen" of the Morses. It remains to be seen how it will be resolved, but certainly has the potential to cost us Villagers hundreds of millions of dollars. If that happened, I expect there would have to be another class action lawsuit to get the Morses to do what is right.

Do I love the Villages? Yes, I enjoy most aspects of it. Do I think the Morse's are taking advantage of the seniors here? You betcha.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:13 AM

I would love to meet any of the Morse's and tell them just how much I've enjoyed my life here in the villages. It's great!!!!
Old 10-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default The rents charged by TV is no more expensive

than most shopping malls in FL. Some units in Sumter Square are less per Square foot than units in the shopping centers off Rolling Acres.

As for the always alleged percent of sales fee for TV, the leases I have been involved in and those of other retailers I am knowledgeable of....yes there is a % retail fee.....but not until after one hits a revenue level substantially higher than any amount ever presented in a soliciting business plan. For example, if a business planned steady state retail was forecast to be $500,000 per year; the % fee would be designed to BEGIN on sales say above $1,000,000. In which case the business would have doubled in size beyond plan and if they hit such growth would be more than capable and content to pay the fee.

All these rates and costs are known to applicants before they sign on the dotted line. When they sign up they are fully aware of what it costs to be in business in TV (or any where else). If they do not measure up to expectation, and do not do what they expected to meet expense and profit targets, it is most certainly not the fault of the rents charged or the always mis-understood % fee for TV.

There have been good examples of TV working with retailers to move into smaller facilities (several have done this over the years) to be successful. Some have even made a third move to even a smaller venue in an off TV location only to close their doors within a year.

I do not think it is accurate or fair to chastise TV for the failure of a business here. TV may be tough and experience has served to teach them to be that....however, if a business can show merit, TV will work with that entity to do what ever is reasonable and..... AGAIN.....agreed to by the retailer to make it work.

It is not unusual for a failed business to lay the blame at another doorstep to save face.

I am not defending TV....only presenting what I know from first hand experience in more than one commercial lease arrangement here in TV as well as other locations.

btk
Old 10-24-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The Morse's are not seen often here in person, in fact almost NEVER ,so people have to guess what they are really, really like and what they are up to.

I think Gary Morse is in his 60's, a very good business man and a perfectionist. I think I would like him if I knew him personally.

Can't wait to see what you have to say.
Gracie, I think this thread has gone from perceptions of the man to questioning his character. I, as a brand new FROG, am grateful and proud to see the free enterprise system at it's shining best.
I wonder if people here dig into the records of every business they frequent or are the Villages exclusive? The beauty of capitalism is the ability of the consumer to chose where they spend their money. Don't forget, when you shop at your local shops, you are also keeping Villages jobs more secure, too.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I think he is one smart cookie!....................I would also bet that he or some of his family are on this site on a regular basis in order to find out the various problems/solutions presented on TOTV.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Banned
Default Is it Jealosy?

I think a lot of the negative comments about Gary Morse are the result of jealousy.

I know we all work hard in our life to gain what we have. But some work harder, some work smarter, some work harder and smarter and a very few work harder, smarter and brilliant. Thank you very much but that is the American Way. The Morse family has just plain been brilliant. I for one am happy for that. I have the best place in the country to live. Thank you Mr. Morse and family.

All this is just my opinion.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I am not defending TV....only presenting what I know from first hand experience in more than one commercial lease arrangement here in TV as well as other locations. btk

Great info BTK.

I like to hear both sides. In the end it still comes down to standard business theory "Supply vs. Demand".
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.