Every unit on my street failed at about the same time

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2021, 04:13 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default Every unit on my street failed at about the same time

Having never lived in a community where houses on both sides of the street were built within months of each other, my friends and neighbors are all needing to replace their First Alert smoke detectors. It seems that after seven years, they all do fail and need replacement.

At first, I thought a simple battery replacement would do the trick. I should have listened to the beep code (five chirps) that was telling me a full replacement was needed. I then discussed my issue with several neighbors who told me that almost everyone on the street had recently replaced all of their units.

I seems that two models of First Alert smoke detectors (SC9120B – 9120B) are used with the SC9120B having a carbon monoxide alarm added. Both smoke alarms are AC powered interconnected with battery backup. I needed two SC9120B and two 9120B while my brother up the street needed two SC9120B and four 9120B. As I replaced my old First Alert units with new identical model units, all I had to do was twist the new units onto the original mounting brackets and plug in the existing quick connect clip to the new detector.

Some of my neighbors replaced all of their units with the carbon monoxide alarm added unit as the mounting brackets between the alarms are identical. The cost of the 9120B unit is around $18 and the other online is around $33.

While I did all of the work replacing the alarms this time, seven years in the future if I am still around I believe I will let the fire dept. do the installation work for me. You purchase the alarm and the Villages Fire Dept. will install for free. Hope this information helps others with chirping (five chirps) smoke detectors.

Last edited by twoplanekid; 11-18-2021 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Having never lived in a community where houses on both sides of the street were built within months of each other, my friends and neighbors are all needing to replace their First Alert smoke detectors. It seems that after seven years, they all do fail and need replacement.

At first, I thought a simple battery replacement would do the trick. I should have listened to the beep code (five chirps) that was telling me a full replacement was needed. I then discussed my issue with several neighbors who told me that almost everyone on the street had recently replaced all of their units.

I seems that two models of First Alert smoke detectors (SC9120B – 9120B) are used with the SC9120B having a carbon monoxide alarm added. Both smoke alarms are AC powered interconnected with battery backup. I needed two SC9120B and two 9120B while my brother up the street needed two SC9120B and four 9120B. As I replaced my old First Alarm units with new identical model units, all I had to do was twist the new units onto the original mounting brackets and plug in the existing quick connect clip to the new detector.

Some of my neighbors replaced all of their units with the carbon monoxide alarm added unit as the mounting brackets between the alarms are identical. The cost of the 9120B unit is around $18 and the other online is around $33.

While I did all of the work replacing the alarms this time, seven years in the future if I am still around I believe I will let the fire dept. do the installation work for me. You purchase the alarm and the Villages Fire Dept. will install for free. Hope this information helps others with chirping (five chirps) smoke detectors.
It’s FREE for Villagers who are disabled or unable to climb a ladder. The resident is responsible for supplying the new batteries and/or detectors.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:34 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

My house has 3 smoke detectors and 3 carbon/smoke detectors. All 3 of the carbon/smoke detectors have failed and I replaced them. These units were seven years old when they failed.
Old 11-18-2021, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

As a note, all smoke an CO alarms have a lifespan. it depends on the unit, the ones with the sealed 10 year battery are dead when the battery dies. Most of the "regular" AA, 9v and hardwired units are 8 years and they are done, assuming they don't fail before that.

The sensitivity of the detectors starts downward after they expire. They all have mfg dates listed on the back, if it's 7+ years, toss 'em.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Went to Lowes and bought the 10 year battery ones - simple.
Old 11-18-2021, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
Went to Lowes and bought the 10 year battery ones - simple.
So, are you bypassing the hardwired system in your house? I would have replaced the smoke alarms with the hardwired type that have a battery for backup only. Typically, the 10 year sealed battery type are for locations where there is no hardwired system in place.
Old 11-18-2021, 08:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Learn from my mistake. Take the battery out when you toss it. The beep warning stops and then goes again in an hour or whatever it is. Also the carbon monoxide ones do not last as long as the smoke only ones.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,606 Times in 943 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, are you bypassing the hardwired system in your house? I would have replaced the smoke alarms with the hardwired type that have a battery for backup only. Typically, the 10 year sealed battery type are for locations where there is no hardwired system in place.
No, hardwired in, they have the same plug. 10 year battery backup. Don’t need to change battery every year.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

I seems that two models of First Alert smoke detectors (SC9120B – 9120B) are used with the SC9120B having a carbon monoxide alarm added. Both smoke alarms are AC powered interconnected with battery backup. I needed two SC9120B and two 9120B while my brother up the street needed two SC9120B and four 9120B. As I replaced my old First Alert units with new identical model units, all I had to do was twist the new units onto the original mounting brackets and plug in the existing quick connect clip to the new detector.

I replaced mine two years ago, they were 17 years old and turning yellow. Agree pretty easy but next time I’ll probably be too old to be climbing around on ladder.
Old 11-19-2021, 01:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
No, hardwired in, they have the same plug. 10 year battery backup. Don’t need to change battery every year.
I agree with that. But, you can accomplish the same thing by replacing the alkaline battery with a lithium battery in a regular, non-sealed smoke detector. If you buy the sealed type smoke detectors, you cannot replaced the battery.
Old 11-19-2021, 05:45 AM
Platinum member
Wink

Ours and five neighbors went out last week. Seven years old. Ordered new ones on Amazon, arrived next day and replaced all as did my neighbors.

Old 11-19-2021, 06:09 AM

Good info thanks, all of my smoke detectors are located high close to the ceiling. I thought carbon monoxide detectors need to be about 3 ft from the ground or located near a furnace or gas hot water heater? Placing a Carbon monoxide detector near a ceiling seems useless??? Your thoughts??
Old 11-19-2021, 06:21 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default smoke detectors

Have 5 in my old house. Only replaced 2 in the 10 years I lived there.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:33 AM
Veteran member

I have one detector that’s high up on top of my vaulted ceiling. I had changed batteries a couple of times in the last 11 years, but then I saw a detector at Lowe’s with a 10 year battery, so that’s what I changed it to. At least no more battery changes in that one for 10 years.
Old 11-19-2021, 06:52 AM
Default Placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalina36 View Post
Good info thanks, all of my smoke detectors are located high close to the ceiling. I thought carbon monoxide detectors need to be about 3 ft from the ground or located near a furnace or gas hot water heater? Placing a Carbon monoxide detector near a ceiling seems useless??? Your thoughts??
Carbon Monoxide is a bit lighter than the air we breathe. So, it will not settle down low as many people believe. It can rise up high throughout the home. The suggested height is about 6 feet. ( It may be 4-5’) but, it can go higher so ceiling or high on walls is fine.
If you only have one it should be placed near your sleeping area so you hear it easily if there’s an issue.
I hope this helps.
Closed Thread

Tags
units, alarm, smoke, 9210b, street

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.