What's the Difference Between POA & VHA?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Default What's the Difference Between POA & VHA?

Can you help out a newbie and tell me the difference between the Property Owners Association and the Villages Homeowners Association?
Old 02-20-2015, 09:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Exclamation POA vs VHA

The VHA represents the interests of the Developer. If push comes to shove between the residents and the developer the VHA will defer to the wishes of e developer. The POA represents the interests of the residents first and if push comes to shove the POA will always defer to the needs of the residents. Spokespersons for the VHA/Developer are the Newspaper, the radio station, the many employees of the developer vis a vis The Villages Management. The communications for the POA is mainly through their monthly Bulletin and the monthly open resident meetings. The meetings are open to all regardless if they are members of the POA. In the case of the VHA you must be a member to attend. These are strictly facts and are not meant to favor one or the other. (Note: The monthly meetings of the POA are on the 3rd Tuesday of each month and at the Laurel Manor Rec Center at 7PM).
Old 02-21-2015, 07:27 AM

Support the POA. It represents us the residents, and is a big voice the Developer hears, not always listens. They have helped me with construction issues siding and house shingles.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:08 AM
Platinum member

Frankly, I think they are both important and serve useful purposes in different ways. I'm a member of both and suggest that for everyone.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennbf View Post
the vha represents the interests of the developer. If push comes to shove between the residents and the developer the vha will defer to the wishes of e developer. The poa represents the interests of the residents first and if push comes to shove the poa will always defer to the needs of the residents. Spokespersons for the vha/developer are the newspaper, the radio station, the many employees of the developer vis a vis the villages management. The communications for the poa is mainly through their monthly bulletin and the monthly open resident meetings. The meetings are open to all regardless if they are members of the poa. In the case of the vha you must be a member to attend. These are strictly facts and are not meant to favor one or the other. (note: The monthly meetings of the poa are on the 3rd tuesday of each month and at the laurel manor rec center at 7pm).

absolutely spot on. Vha never opposes anything developer related. Poa has taken on many many important issues that made villages life better and more fair to the residents.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Email Reported As Spam

what is the difference between the POA and the VHA? The former was organized to work with the Developer by presenting factual information that may or may not have been pleasing but was well factual. The latter organization was formed to present the Developer with not only favorable information but information that discredited the POA's position. The former organization was formed to support the residents while the latter organization was formed to experience that kumbaya moment
Old 02-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spofford View Post
Support the POA. It represents us the residents, and is a big voice the Developer hears, not always listens.
We need the POA - it's a voice for residents.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:41 AM
Gold member

I find the very existence of the VHA, a front organization established and subsidized by the Developer (via free delivery of its newsletter with the Daily Sun) in an effort to weaken the POA, offensive to the residents of The Villages. I cannot imagine that there is any other housing development in the country with two competing homeowners' associations like ours. Most importantly, we certainly cannot count on the VHA to protect our interests in any situation where they do not coincide with those of the Developer.

That being said, the VHA does at least one good thing-- the golf-cart safety classes. However, if the POA had the resources diverted from it by the VHA, I think that the POA would be offering the classes. In sum, whatever good the VHA does is offset by the pernicious nature of its existence.

Last edited by Advogado; 02-21-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-21-2015, 12:24 PM
Platinum member

Wow! I think this topic should be in the policital section to protect the innocent. The comments are getting nasty....and probably not 100% accurate!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Wow! I think this topic should be in the policital section to protect the innocent. The comments are getting nasty....and probably not 100% accurate!
This is a very important subject for all Villagers. What is your basis for saying that the "comments are probably not 100% accurate"? If you have more-accurate information, I would be very glad to see it. But, in the end, what is the point of Talk of the Villages if topics more controversial than water filters and dogs pooping on lawns cannot be discussed?
Old 02-21-2015, 12:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Bottom line is that the POA would have never been started if the VHA really did support the interests of the homeowners......this subject has been talked about over and over again....same result each time....homeowners are thankful for the POA to protect and represent them when they have issues with the developer
Old 02-21-2015, 12:50 PM

Following is quoted from the VHA
MISSION & VISION
To maintain The Villages as the premier 55-plus community in the world – featuring the finest amenities, homes, retail and commercial businesses, medical and professional services, as well as the best educational, cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities.
VHA GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Maintain as the top priority, the interest of Village residents.
Act in the interest of the residents of The Villages on all issues related to the VHA mission.
Enable and encourage constructive communications between The Villages’ residents and local government agencies, The Villages’ management, and The Villages’ developer.
Develop a consensus among community partners on issues that best represent residents’ interests.
Be non-partisan yet be a voice for the residents on issues affecting the VHA’s mission.
Foster growth and progress for a positive process of social, cultural, environmental, and economic community development.
Seek mutually beneficial partnerships with and among community service organizations.
Conduct open and transparent operations and administration of the VHA.
Recognize and support constructive efforts by community residents, service groups and organizations contributing to the VHA mission.
Encourage resident participation in community affairs, VHA activities, and VHA leadership roles.
Serve the complex and rapidly changing needs of our unique community.

The VHA is not, nor never has been directed by the Developer.

By the way, yes, The Voice, is a paper that is included with the Daily Sun, to which the VHA pays for. The POA also has a monthly paper throw on the driveway in stand alone fashion.

I don't know how to act my age....I've never been this age before.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:04 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Diva Kay;1017098]Following is quoted from the VHA
MISSION & VISION
To maintain The Villages as the premier 55-plus community in the world – featuring the finest amenities, homes, retail and commercial businesses, medical and professional services, as well as the best educational, cultural, recreational and entertainment opportunities.
VHA GUIDING PRINCIPLES
Act in the interest of the residents of The Villages on all issues related to the VHA mission.
Enable and encourage constructive communications between The Villages’ residents and local government agencies, The Villages’ management, and The Villages’ developer.
Develop a consensus among community partners on issues that best represent residents’ interests.
Be non-partisan yet be a voice for the residents on issues affecting the VHA’s mission.
Foster growth and progress for a positive process of social, cultural, environmental, and economic community development.
Seek mutually beneficial partnerships with and among community service organizations.
Recognize and support constructive efforts by community residents, service groups and organizations contributing to the VHA mission.
Encourage resident participation in community affairs, VHA activities, and VHA leadership roles.

By the way, yes, The Voice, is a paper that is included with the Daily Sun, to which the VHA pays for. The POA also has a monthly paper throw on the driveway in stand alone fashion.[/QUOT
Two questions:
1. How much does the VHA pay the Daily Sun for printing and delivery of The Voice?
2. Can you name one instance where the position of the VHA has been in conflict with the interests of the Developer?
Old 02-21-2015, 01:48 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva Kay View Post
Following is quoted from the VHA
MISSION & VISION
VHA GUIDING PRINCIPLES

By the way, yes, The Voice, is a paper that is included with the Daily Sun, to which the VHA pays for. The POA also has a monthly paper throw on the driveway in stand alone fashion.
Dear Diva Kay: It is the worse kept secret that the Developer initiated the VHA and financially supported it with the admonition that if they ever went against him he would withdraw his financial support.

It is not coincidence that past VHA president continue on with strategic positions affecting The Villages such as with the Villages Hospital Organization, Southwest Water District, county commissioner, etc.

I see that you list your home in the Village of Hillsbourgh and I conclude from that listing that you are relatively new to TV. You might want to broaden your horizons and hear both sides of a story.

Personally I have only one dog in this fight and that is me. I want to support whatever organization and /or individual that has the residents true interests at heart.

Like the annual survey all you get from the District and VHA are a report on the state of the amenities. Well i have a deeper concern because TV is not a vacation destination to me it is my home
Old 02-21-2015, 03:12 PM

Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion....I have voiced mine....and you and all others have voiced theirs. That is what freedom of speech is all about. I not only have been a Villager almost two years, but am proud to say I am the VHA VP of the Southern Region (all Villages south of 466A). So I would say my freedom of speech opinion comes very highly regarded.

I don't know how to act my age....I've never been this age before.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.