When choosing new friends in The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default When choosing new friends in The Villages?

What would make or break feeling completely comfortable spending a lot of time with people and feeling a kinship and bond????.

Some people will say nothing, they are totally accepting but others might say that they prefer someone with their values, politics, religion, life experience, married status, etc.

What are the deal breakers for any chance of friendship?

Time spent in jail, different tastes esthetically, non believers or church goers, athletic or non athletic, only golflers, only non golfers, too old, too young, too loud, too prudish? Other?

Well maybe not deal breakers but huge deterrents.

I would say I really don't want to hang around with a convicted felon or even those who aren't ......comfortable with rules?.
I prefer people who are warm and have a sense of humor.
I don't like to discuss politics and never religion.

How about you?

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-26-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:13 AM

For me, a sense of humor is a MAJOR connection. I plan on laughing a lot during my life in TV!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I am not that found of talking religion nor politics either because most of the world's history of violence comes from either religion or politics or both. A lot could probably be said about interpersonal violence too based on these two forces. Just check out the TOTV political forum for testy discussions.

Like people who enjoy movies, books, and the like.

Not too found of talking golf though so that takes me out a lot of Villages' discussions. Cannot tell a birdie from an eagle from a boogie from a slice.

I like lovers of dogs for the most part and can often get a feel of what a person is really like from how they treat their dog as well as how their dog interacts with other people and other dogs.

Cat lovers need a much closer look.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 02-26-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM

I prefer to be around non-smokers, non-egotists, controlled drinkers, fun people, people who tend to get along with most others, non-pretentious people... I guess I could keep going on and on! I hope others see me as having these traits.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Default Humor is big!

We both love people with a sense of humor.
Like Gracie, we don't talk politics or religion.
We are both low key and sort of quiet, but we do have a sense of humor.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 AM

I prefer to be around people who have a positive outlook and see the good in things rather than looking for the bad. I don't do well with complainers and negative thinkers or those who are judgmental. I will not talk politics! I will only talk religion with someone who wants to and then not to argue about it. I value a sense of humor but not humor that degrades or pokes fun at others. I prefer to not be around people while they are smoking but if I like the person it wouldn't be a deal breaker unless they insisted on blowing there smoke in my face, but I find most my smoking friends don't smoke around their non-smoking friends. They just suddenly disappear for a moment or two.

I think I can get along with most anyone but those are my preferences. Age is no factor in my friends nor are looks. I don't know anything about golf, not because I don't like it I just don't do it so I will listen politely but probably not enter into a conversation about it. I can talk for hours about crafts, but that bores lots of people so I reserve those talks for those of my friends who also enjoy creating things. I love to hear about peoples travels and enjoy being friends with those who love to travel.

Suzanne
Old 02-26-2012, 11:49 AM

For me the "deal breaker" is intolerance and negativity. I'm at a stage in life where I have adopted the motto "don't sweat the small stuff... and almost everything is the small stuff"
Old 02-26-2012, 11:50 AM
Sage
Default a good question

that's a good question, gracie...i have acquaintances whom i enjoy in many different spheres of interest....mine are languages, travel, dancing, the arts, and politics and religion...the latter do not make for good conversation unless both are of the same mind. but i can respect any person who is intellectually interesting, not necessarily from formal education but even more desirably from world and life experiences... i have friends who know me well to laugh and play with, and acquaintances with whom i am enjoying mutual interests. as they say, one is silver and the other is gold... it has taken three years here to find my niche, and i am very happy.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What would make or break feeling completely comfortable spending a lot of time with people and feeling a kinship and bond????.

Some people will say nothing, they are totally accepting but others might say that they prefer someone with their values, politics, religion, life experience, married status, etc.

Time spent in jail, different tastes esthetically, non believers or church goers, athletic or non athletic, only golflers, only non golfers, too old, too young, too loud, too prudish? Other?

I would say I really don't want to hang around with a convicted felon or even those who aren't ......comfortable with rules?.

How about you?
BO and sex offenders.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum member

I totally agree with never discussing religion or politics.
Unfortunately, we moved here from Utah, so almost everybody we meet wants to know:
1. Are you Mormon? (no)
2. Tell us about the Mormons (?)
Which ultimately leads to
3. Tell us about Mitt Romney (!)

Oh man. Religion AND Politics, and we just met these folks 5 minutes ago!

I try to say "No religion or politics," but some people are so insistent. They seem to have preconceived notions that they want me to validate. I'll take a smoker, egotist, drunk, cat lover anyday...
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Default Interesting Question & Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

How about you?
And then there's always the old saying "A friend is someone who knows everything about you and likes you anyway". Works in both directions.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Gold member

I steer clear of egotists.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:25 PM

I think we are on the same page. The "it is all about me" person who drives me nuts. It is their church, political policy, home, kids ....who are the only right way to go ... One of my resolutions Is to seek out "real" people,those who care about others, enjoy laughing and life in general... Those who bring you up instead of trying to bring you all down to their level...
All that being said, and reading TOTV, and this post,sounds like there are tons of potential friends out there!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee Quilter View Post
I think we are on the same page. The "it is all about me" person who drives me nuts. It is their church, political policy, home, kids ....who are the only right way to go ... One of my resolutions Is to seek out "real" people,those who care about others, enjoy laughing and life in general... Those who bring you up instead of trying to bring you all down to their level...
All that being said, and reading TOTV, and this post,sounds like there are tons of potential friends out there!
I like your screen name!
Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati1974 View Post
I prefer to be around non-smokers, non-egotists, controlled drinkers, fun people, people who tend to get along with most others, non-pretentious people... I guess I could keep going on and on! I hope others see me as having these traits.
Put me in this category for preferences.
In reality, they're different!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.