When did the dancing end?

Old 03-10-2024, 10:36 AM

What bands were playing? How large was the crowd at both squares?
Old 03-10-2024, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,389 Times in 2,523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
What did they tell you when you called the office who controls the squares??
They said, "bet mkjelenbaas told you to ring us, it's the only answer he ever learned how to write!"
Old 03-10-2024, 12:29 PM

Some bands have many followers ( non Villagers ) and they just stand around the stage ( free entertainment) !
Old 03-10-2024, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Probably too many people to actually dance and not bump into other people, just a guess.
Bumping into people when you dance is the BEST part of dancing. I have tried to make an "ART" out of it. Good thing that I am NOT a pickpocket.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
Yeah, that's one of my gripes with the people at the squares. They just stand around the stage taking up the space on the "dance floor".

If they're not going to dance, why the heck don't they just sit down and leave room on the "floor" for people who do want to dance?

Probably because they are all pretty deaf and need to get close to hear the music BLASTING.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Nobody dances anymore because the dance floor is too crowded
Where have you gone Yogi Berra....a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.......Jesus loves you more than.......
Old 03-10-2024, 01:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
The dancing ended with a group of seniors who faithfully started following and befriending members of Uncle Bob's Rock Shop in SS. They would stand in front of the gazebo like a mosh pit and wear band supporting apparel. A portion of this original group now frequents Sumter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZPz27h7C0w
People were dancing individually and it wasn't crowded - so anyone could have left their seat and found a space to dance. I remember something MUCH worse a few years ago........the line dancing ladies that took up part of the dance floor. But, even that was NOT too terrible. I also remember that the dance area was covered in HARD concrete or concrete blocks which were hard on any older person that got jamming and jumping around. They should have covered the dance area with a softer composite surface like on the running tracks. But, maybe the orthopedic surgeons wanted MORE business, those sneaky Doctors!
Old 03-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndf888 View Post
Exactly. Not every band plays ‘danceable’ music. And some are just not very good period. Some bands still play music that people can dance to. I’ve made a partial list. Feel free to add or comment-

Billy Buchanan
Blue Stone Circle ⭕️
Chasing Amy
Cece
Crossfire
Dance express
Indigo
Icon
Never never band
Bobby Blackmon and 3B
Rocky and the rollers
Jonny Wild and the Delights
The Leonard brothers band
Think Big Band
Blonde ambition
Latin ambition
Rick Malvern
Stella Beat
Studio 77 - disco
Sherry and the rockafellars
Clark Burrio’s
Paradigm
Trip 19 -
Mpire -
Bobby Blackman
Crossfire
Paradise
Impressive. I have NEVER heard that many bands in my whole life! Maybe I need to get out more !
Old 03-10-2024, 01:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
I think clarification of "dancing" is needed. People line dancing to every song isn't dancing....its a handful of moves that are crammed into every song.
It may be good exercise, but there is no "inter-personal" experience to it.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Some bands have many followers ( non Villagers ) and they just stand around the stage ( free entertainment) !
Which brings up the obvious question.......maybe you should have to present a resident ID to get inside the close-in-area. If the band followers are all under 40, then they should be able to hear the music from a further away distance. A long time ago when I went to the evening squares music the under 40 crowd had no interest in the squares music and would wait until after 9 o'clock to go into the bars for their music and dancing.
Old 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
I think clarification of "dancing" is needed. People line dancing to every song isn't dancing....it’s a handful of moves that are crammed into every song.
When it’s crowded you can just stand and gyrate?
Old 03-10-2024, 03:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Which brings up the obvious question.......maybe you should have to present a resident ID to get inside the close-in-area. If the band followers are all under 40, then they should be able to hear the music from a further away distance. A long time ago when I went to the evening squares music the under 40 crowd had no interest in the squares music and would wait until after 9 o'clock to go into the bars for their music and dancing.
Let’s see, we start with building a fence (tempory / permanent) around the inside area , hire x number of people to check ID’s.
Do this for a handful of people who can’t find a place to dance. Brilliant!
Old 03-10-2024, 03:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Bumping into people when you dance is the BEST part of dancing. I have tried to make an "ART" out of it. Good thing that I am NOT a pickpocket.
Creepy! 😱 😲😱😓
Old 03-10-2024, 06:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Let’s see, we start with building a fence (tempory / permanent) around the inside area , hire x number of people to check ID’s.
Do this for a handful of people who can’t find a place to dance. Brilliant!
Well, the question then becomes,what is "quality of life" WORTH for the REAL SENIORS that have fully paid for the entertainment through their recreation fees. The local younger set can enjoy the music while taking away enjoyment from the PAYING seniors. Some seniors are complaining about this and I TRIED to think of something to address or solve this problem. It is above my pay grade to be able to resolve this PROBLEM. I am just echoing the idea that it IS a problem.
......I am sure that the businesses on the squares want the DOLLARS SPENT by BOTH the under age 40 and the over age 40. But, the basic idea of The Villages is to have a place for retirement citizens.........NOT every local non-retired person.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
When we arrived here 10 years ago, one of things we enjoyed was dancing at the squares. Admittedly, we no longer spend a lot of time there. Tonight I was viewing the squares on the web cams and nobody was dancing, everyone was standing staring at the bands at Brownwood and Sumter....hard to tell at SS. Wonder why.
Maybe they couldn’t dance to that music?

Tags
dancing, squares, web, cams, standing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.