When did the dancing end?

Old 03-10-2024, 08:07 PM

Some of the bands play music that just doesn't carry a good dancing beat and others are awful.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Well, the question then becomes,what is "quality of life" WORTH for the REAL SENIORS that have fully paid for the entertainment through their recreation fees. The local younger set can enjoy the music while taking away enjoyment from the PAYING seniors. Some seniors are complaining about this and I TRIED to think of something to address or solve this problem. It is above my pay grade to be able to resolve this PROBLEM. I am just echoing the idea that it IS a problem.
......I am sure that the businesses on the squares want the DOLLARS SPENT by BOTH the under age 40 and the over age 40. But, the basic idea of The Villages is to have a place for retirement citizens.........NOT every local non-retired person.
Entertainment is paid for by those businesses on the squares.
What recreation fees are you referring to?
Old 03-10-2024, 10:37 PM

The squares are public. Not considered an amenity. Only the rec centers, pools, etc.
TV is the only entertainment around unless under 40 drive to Ocala or Orlando.
With Wildwood growing so much and Middleton now being built, it will get much worse.

But hopefully Eastport will help some for now

The massive move to Florida since Covid has caused the entire State to bust at the seams.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndf888 View Post
Exactly. Not every band plays ‘danceable’ music. And some are just not very good period. Some bands still play music that people can dance to. I’ve made a partial list. Feel free to add or comment-

Billy Buchanan
Blue Stone Circle ⭕️
Chasing Amy
Cece
Crossfire
Dance express
Indigo
Icon
Never never band
Bobby Blackmon and 3B
Rocky and the rollers
Jonny Wild and the Delights
The Leonard brothers band
Think Big Band
Blonde ambition
Latin ambition
Rick Malvern
Stella Beat
Studio 77 - disco
Sherry and the rockafellars
Clark Burrio’s
Paradigm
Trip 19 -
Mpire -
Bobby Blackman
Crossfire
Paradise
add cece tennile to the list-incredible vocal range
Old 03-11-2024, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,507 Posts

When did the dancing end? When the gorgon arrived and the dance floor was filled with statues.
Old 03-11-2024, 11:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,318 Times in 872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Well, the question then becomes,what is "quality of life" WORTH for the REAL SENIORS that have fully paid for the entertainment through their recreation fees. The local younger set can enjoy the music while taking away enjoyment from the PAYING seniors. Some seniors are complaining about this and I TRIED to think of something to address or solve this problem. It is above my pay grade to be able to resolve this PROBLEM. I am just echoing the idea that it IS a problem.
......I am sure that the businesses on the squares want the DOLLARS SPENT by BOTH the under age 40 and the over age 40. But, the basic idea of The Villages is to have a place for retirement citizens.........NOT every local non-retired person.
This must have been a brain fart since you know our amenity fees don't pay for the entertainment. Harold Schwartz, who was an astute businessman, pivoted from mail order sales of land to real estate development. When he became unhappy with the growth he bought out his partner and brought in his son Gary. The rest is history and the family continues Harold's vision of growth. If it made money, Harold was all in. In my opinion, if we limited stuff to the villages folks non of us could afford to live here (or be willing to pay what the cost would be) and the place would have no entertainment or retail.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-11-2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
When we arrived here 10 years ago, one of things we enjoyed was dancing at the squares. Admittedly, we no longer spend a lot of time there. Tonight I was viewing the squares on the web cams and nobody was dancing, everyone was standing staring at the bands at Brownwood and Sumter....hard to tell at SS. Wonder why.
The band could have been on break. I go frequently and there are plenty of people dancing.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeonheathrow View Post
Maybe because there are no seats or chairs left to sit down on, many bring their own.
Not so. At least, not when I've been there.

There are PLENTY of seats available in the bleachers, but apparently some people would rather stand on and block the dance floor than take a seat in the bleachers.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMS View Post
We go the squares frequently to hear the bands we like. Sometimes we dance, sometimes we don’t, but there are always people dancing. Sometimes the dance area is packed with dancers. There are a lot of people who like to stand in front of the stage and just watch the musicians. Occasionally we do too. Some put on a really great show.
Did you ever stop to think that maybe some of the people who are sitting and watching would rather be out there dancing, but there's no room left on the dance floor because of all the people just standing there like you?

Old 03-11-2024, 07:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,396 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
Did you ever stop to think that maybe some of the people who are sitting and watching would rather be out there dancing, but there's no room left on the dance floor because of all the people just standing there like you?

Nope. The only time I have ever seen the area in front of the stage so full that there was no room to dance, the rest of the area was packed with no seats available. If there is no room to dance then there is no room to sit. If there is room to sit then there is room to dance.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-12-2024, 08:25 AM

[QUOTE=Bill14564;2309990]Nope. The only time I have ever seen the area in front of the stage so full that there was no room to dance, the rest of the area was packed with no seats available. If there is no room to dance then there is no room to sit. If there is room to sit then there is room to dance.[/QUOT

Agree. We go often depending on the band, and I've never seen it where you couldn't find room to dance, even when The Hooligans were there for New Years eve. Just have to get creative. lol

I'm more concerned with the bands playing the same old, overplayed music. Much of the music to us is getting stale. Hopefully they start bringing in more bands that play some newer music. We're in our late 60's but TV is trending younger, so the music eventually will as well, fingers crossed.
Old 03-30-2024, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
Right on, it’s so crowded there so nobody goes there any more…
Very true, Yogi!
Old 04-14-2024, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,930 Times in 1,113 Posts

I had a reservation at Blue Fin last night and didn’t realize it was Rocky and the Rollers 25 anniversary at Brownwood . I have never seen a crowd as big as last night even for Christmas lighting . I had to start looking fo r parking behind the theater and worked my way over to bank parking lot , to down behind mvp and then up close to Brownwood center and got lucky with someone just moving out , It was all worth it . We had nice dinner then came out and enjoyed the music ,the beautiful night and the energy of the enormous crowd .
Old 04-14-2024, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,507 Posts

I like most of the bands and the music they play. But I'm not really a dancer. The only music that really gets me moving instantly is the "hold" music that my doctors office plays when I call them. Some instrumental techno-pop. Wish I knew what it is, I'd be dancing till I dropped (probably about 10 minutes) 🕺
Old 04-14-2024, 11:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,089 Times in 2,750 Posts

Covid certainly has changed many peoples feelings about being in very crowded areas where strangers invade one’s personal space. You won’t find my wife and I dancing in a crowd in front of the stage, we find a relatively isolated space on the perimeter of the square.

Tags
dancing, squares, web, cams, standing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.