When to make the move to The Villages?

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2010, 12:35 AM
Smile When to make the move to The Villages?

Like many others, our plans have been delayed. We are stressed about this but here's the question -

if we move there, say part time when we are 68, is that too late? We live in another part of Florida and most likely would keep our current home and go back and forth.

We don't want to be late to the party.

Also, my husband's father is 88. Other than a hip that he broke when bike riding, he is fine. Would he be too old to reside at The Villages? (He loves to dance).

My idea (this past September) was to rent a place for one month, spend a little time there ourselves but bring him (FIL) and his sister (age 89 - she's wonderful!) and have them stay 2 weeks and experience it. Would that be a good idea?

My husband and I like people; we have worked so much in our lives, we did not have all the friendships that our peers had but the social experience would be very important to us.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:29 AM
Sage

When we are in TV, we have dinner out and play cards Friday nites with my mother's friends who are in their mid 80's. They are a great bunch!

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 11-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMill View Post
Like many others, our plans have been delayed. We are stressed about this but here's the question -

if we move there, say part time when we are 68, is that too late? We live in another part of Florida and most likely would keep our current home and go back and forth.

Also, my husband's father is 88. Other than a hip that he broke when bike riding, he is fine. Would he be too old to reside at The Villages? (He loves to dance).

My idea (this past September) was to rent a place for one month, spend a little time there ourselves but bring him (FIL) and his sister (age 89 - she's wonderful!) and have them stay 2 weeks and experience it. Would that be a good idea?

My husband and I like people; we have worked so much in our lives, we did not have all the friendships that our peers had but the social experience would be very important to us.
Sounds like a good plan to me!! And you can NEVER be too late to the party!!

Bill
Old 11-16-2010, 06:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

So, what are you going to do when your FIL and his sister refuse to leave? Ya know, those older kids can really get set on having their way.

Actually, it sounds like a wonderful idea. The only thing I would suggest is you not come in the height of the snowbird season. The lines are longer, the squares are more crowded, the traffic is more irritating. This might be a little hard on someone in their 80s for a first experience.

I know of people who have moved to TV in their late 40s/early 50s. Most do it in their early to mid 60s. One of my neighbors moved here 6 months ago -- she's 74, he's 79. They're having a blast! Of course, their biggest regret is not having heard of TV much earlier. So, get on down here, see if TV is the place for you and yours and then move down here or just rent until you're ready to purchase.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
Sage

I think it's wonderul that you are taking care of older family members and are concerned for their health and future happiness.

I don't think 68 is too old. I am 66 and have trying to move to TV for about one year.

You owe to yourselves and your family members to enjoy life as much as possible.

Redwitch makes a good point with snowbirds depending how active your FIL and sister are. I think they will love being in TV.

Best wishes for future happiness.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me!! And you can NEVER be too late to the party!!

Bill
I'm thinking as far as TV ,it's never to early to party.I didn't plan to make the move to TV for at least 3 years.But life got in the way, i figured what the h#ll , we only live once, and this is one great place to P A R T Y
Old 11-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Sage

Hi BMill,

It is so not too late! You will find plenty of people here your age and older and younger. It's never too late to move here. As for your in-laws, I can't imagine a better place for active folks their age.

Honestly, we TVers don't care how old you are. We don't care what you did before you came. We just care. You sound like a loving person who cares for your family and their well being. You're our kind of people. Please come!

Your plan for a one-month rental is perfect. And if you need anything while you're here, you've come to the right place. Just ask.

All best wishes.

Love,
Pturner
Old 11-16-2010, 11:24 PM

I don't believe age is an object here in TV. You can come as early or as late as you want and still enjoy all that there is to offer. Renting is a good idea but once you come, you'll be back!!!! (Ooops. I think I took that from somewhere else. Hope it is not a copyright issue )
Old 11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Platinum member

No one's old here in TV!

Story the other day in the Daily Sun about a guy celebrating his 103rd birthday with a whole crowd of his friends somewhere on a golf course.

Know a 98-year-old lady who comes most months to one of the support groups I go to. She puts many youngers folks to shame because of her attitude!

SWR
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Sage

I was talking to a lady at the dog park last week who is 83. She drove here from Kentucky and is renting for two months. She is considering purchasing a home in TV.

You are never too old. The only regret you'll have is that you didn't do it sooner.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMill View Post

I agree with all. Only thing that I would add is make sure you have two golf carts.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Platinum member

My husband played golf yesterday with a man who is 91. My husband is 86. We have only been in TV one year. What is so great about TV is the fact that so very many people are so very active, whether it be in the morning or night. It is something to see people with walkers kicking up their heals to the music and going to line dancing with a footed cane. This place is wonderful and age is no deterrent to any activity or friendship. It is never too late, but as others have said, you will wonder why you did not move here sooner.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Sage

As all have said, anytime is a good time....and your FIL and his sister will love it here, too. Age doesn't matter....you accept people for who they are, not what they were, not their age, they're people, all new friends. When you visit, just ask questions about the community with anyone around town...you'll find they are happy to see you and will gladly answer any questions you have.
Enjoy your visit, whenever it is...and potentially, welcome home!
Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM
Smile Thanks for all the responses!! I just checked back...

OK, a little bit more about us. My husband is a CPA and I am a mortgage broker - both self employed. We've taken care of my parents financially for over 20 years (my mom just passed away this year but we still have the condo that we bought for them; my dad's been gone 10 years) - that's one of the reasons we're not where we should be (financially).

We have good credit and believe in doing what is right. We are in our 50's now. I'm thinking 68 but actually after reading some of the responses, it makes me want to be there sooner!

We would love for my FIL and his sister to love it. That would make our lives easier and we just want him to be happy and not be lonely. It would be a great way to check out The Villages also. Is September a slower month?

We have 2 dogs (Shelties) but I think the landlord was OK with them. We live in South Florida and have really forever and we love Florida. My husband is a native (from Miami).

We did visit The Villages for a few hours one day and were very impressed with what we saw. It was during the May Day celebration so it looked like everyone was having fun - and that's what we want too! We like people and being active. Most likely, if we moved sooner than later, we would both we working but being self employed, we might be able to work around it.

We have 2 young adult children, single - one in college; one in NYC. I'm sure over the next 5 years, there will be changes to their lives.

So, thank you for the good and positive responses - we like the idea of The Villages and hope to visit next September!!
Old 11-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Smile Thanks for your responses!!

You are all so nice - that's what has attracted us.

We currently live in Boca Raton, FL, have 2 children (26 and 21), one of which lives in NYC and one lives at home and goes to college. We are in our 50's but want to transition over the next few years.

We are both self employed so working remotely is a possibility, something we will start to try out as well.

We would love to rent for September 2011 and bring my FIL and his sister with us - then leave them for a week - just so they would see how it really is but judging by the replies, I think my FIL would love it. (He loves to dance). Right now, I think he is lonely so that's a concern for us.

We did visit back in 2008 - only for a few hours - it was during a May Day celebration and everyone looked happy and like they were having fun. We liked that!!

Thanks again for all you wrote.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.