When In Rome...

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2022, 08:05 AM
Default Outside the bubble

No generalities are true but I was talking with a outside contractor and he mention non villages don't like villagers. Probably some of it is we had more higher income jobs up north & west and they look at what we have compared to what they can afford with the pay they can get down here. But some of it is a small percentage of people acting privileged or obnoxious and I have seen way more of that here than in Iowa or Texas. The general claim is big city eastern people develop a attitude I guess to survive in the big city. I've had people working in stores ask where I was from then saw oh you are ok based on where I am from.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:19 AM
Default Locals interaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Something that's becoming more and more apparent the longer we live here, is the (for want of a better word) disconnect between Villagers and locals. It is not too noticeable in TV, though there are some exceptions, but I've been making it a point to meet and talk to locals (golf course workers, yard service workers, pest control), and have made some friends outside TV, and there is a definite "us against them" attitude. Not on the part of everyone, to be sure; maybe not even on the part of a majority, but enough. Mostly it seems to be a benign mistrust, but on the part of some it is definite antipathy, bordering on hatred. But in general the prevailing feeling seems to be that we Villagers look down on the people who were born and raised here, or who come here for the laborer jobs.

I do my own yard work. A couple of weeks ago I was out mowing, drenched with sweat, then the trash collectors came; a couple of Hispanic men. I shut down the mower and asked "how ya doin"? The driver, noticing that I was bagging the clippings said "Your grass..I take!". I laughed and said I'd save it for the next pickup. They both laughed and continued on their way. Now every time they see me, they make sure to wave. The point? I am dead sure they'd never treat me in a friendly fashion if I hadn't made the first (positive) move.

We're the guests here. My thought is that we bear the lion's share of the responsibility in doing what we can to keep Villager-Local relations friendly. We live in a bubble, but that bubble has boundaries, and if those people peering into the bubble from the outside or meet our service needs inside don't like us or even actively hate us...well, that's uncomfortable. And it could conceivably be, in some circumstances, dangerous.

What can we do to make it less so?
I used to say when I was at the square, when I met someone new, "What village do you live in?" Now I just say, " Do you live in the area?" Don´t assume that everyone around here lives in the villages. It breaks the ice easier.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

We are here about 2 1/2 years and have never thought that non villagers resent us. Talk nicely to folks and you get same back.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Something that's becoming more and more apparent the longer we live here, is the (for want of a better word) disconnect between Villagers and locals. It is not too noticeable in TV, though there are some exceptions, but I've been making it a point to meet and talk to locals (golf course workers, yard service workers, pest control), and have made some friends outside TV, and there is a definite "us against them" attitude. Not on the part of everyone, to be sure; maybe not even on the part of a majority, but enough. Mostly it seems to be a benign mistrust, but on the part of some it is definite antipathy, bordering on hatred. But in general the prevailing feeling seems to be that we Villagers look down on the people who were born and raised here, or who come here for the laborer jobs.

I do my own yard work. A couple of weeks ago I was out mowing, drenched with sweat, then the trash collectors came; a couple of Hispanic men. I shut down the mower and asked "how ya doin"? The driver, noticing that I was bagging the clippings said "Your grass..I take!". I laughed and said I'd save it for the next pickup. They both laughed and continued on their way. Now every time they see me, they make sure to wave. The point? I am dead sure they'd never treat me in a friendly fashion if I hadn't made the first (positive) move.

We're the guests here. My thought is that we bear the lion's share of the responsibility in doing what we can to keep Villager-Local relations friendly. We live in a bubble, but that bubble has boundaries, and if those people peering into the bubble from the outside or meet our service needs inside don't like us or even actively hate us...well, that's uncomfortable. And it could conceivably be, in some circumstances, dangerous.

My wife and I have always worked for a living, weather it was housekeeping ina nursing home to secretary to the chief of the school district police department of a 119 schools. Myself, from amusement park mechanic to head custodian night supervisor of a large high school. We go out of are way to say hello and engage with everyone we meet. I like to bring water out to sanitation workers, delivery people and our lawn service operator. And thank them and wish the a a great day. It’s not much,, but I remember how much I appreciated it when someone would do something nice for me.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,539 Times in 3,115 Posts

This is an amusing thread. Lots of perceptions about lots of issues, some that strike a hypocritical cord, some sincere. Here's my take on it:

Everyone who moves TO the Villages from somewhere "up north" is an immigrant to this place. We all immigrated. How does it feel to have the natives treat us with scorn and suspicion? We haven't done anything wrong, we're taxpayers, we're injecting the area with increased revenue at the stores, keeping them open for business, providing jobs. And many of us, who want to rely on our social security checks, will accept the minimum-wage positions so as to keep our SS checks coming - which leaves the management positions available to the locals who need their paychecks to feed their families.

I totally get it. Coming from a place where immigration is celebrated, to a place filled with immigrants who demand to be immediately accepted and revered rather than earning their place in the community, I totally get it.

I am an immigrant to the Villages from up north. I appreciate the natives who were here before me or anyone else in the neighborhood. I appreciate the workers who live outside our bubble, and make sure to tell them that, and treat them with the dignity and respect that they deserve.

I actually LISTEN to them when they talk to me, instead of just pretending, as if I were someone who didn't speak their language and didn't care to learn it.

And yes - the ones who speak Spanish, I listen to them too. Knowing the language of the people who work for you is very handy. Y'all should try it some time. It can be an eye-opener.

I think most Villagers are probably nice folks, who just want to enjoy their retirement and not have to think about entitlement or privilege or what it means. But there are some, a minority, who are loud about their "rights." They served in this or that military outfit and therefore should be treated as superior to the people serving them their dinner at the restaurant. They raised 6 kids in poverty and earned every cent they have, so they have the "right" to make demands in a curt tone to the guy changing their tires.

They give the rest of us a bad name. And unfortunately, they are very loud.

So if you want us to have a better reputation, I'll say - EARN it. Be pro-active, get out there, get involved, LISTEN to the native Floridians who live in this Central region, listen to their stories, watch them interact with each other, participate in THEIR community.

Or you can just sit back and complain that they treat us like outsiders. We ARE outsiders.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dond1959 View Post
The OP is spot on with his assessment. Being one of the few here born and raised in North Florida it is more of a South Georgia culture than the rest of Florida. South Florida is nothing like the small communities that dot North Florida such as Wildwood and Lady Lake and even Ocala. It definitely depends on how you treat the people who perform services and keep this place running. Engaging them and treating them respectfully will go a long way. Unfortunately there are a good number who demand and bully and give the Villagers a bad name. I always talk to anyone who comes out for a few minutes and talk about being raised and born in north Florida. It is amazing you can see them relax and open up when I talk to them.

I have only been here 4 years but I have unfortunately seen a lot of clueless Villagers. One example was at a restaurant recently. It was crowded and there were 3 of us waiting for the hostess to get a second to help us. Well, here comes a loud guy pushing his way in front of everyone and demanding he be helped. The hostess handled it well and had him wait until the others were helped. The guy was completely clueless that he did anything. You see it on social media all the time when someone doesn’t receive “perfect” service they hammer the business. Unfortunately I think those that feel entitled never recognize when they are acting like a spoiled brat.
Interesting. That happens in retirement communities/areas all over the south. In one such place in Tennessee, I had a locally born/raised guy over for some minor labor. He pretty quickly says to me, "You're not from Chicago, are you?" The implication (as he later expounded) was that folks from "up north" were rude, demanding, entitled, criticizing every stroke of every shovel-full he dug, and eyeballed him suspiciously the entire time as if to ensure they weren't getting ripped off.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 07-17-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:

I often run out and give Gatorade to the trash people. I also do it to any service people that come to my place. They always appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:51 AM
Default When in Rome.......

You guys are making this way too difficult. Life is simple: As we used to say in Pinckneyville, "when in Rome do as those damn Romanians do".....solved
Old 07-17-2022, 10:12 AM

Years ago I had a young guy working for me, he asked me where I am from, I replied from Germany. He then asked me if we have electricity there, I replied no we build Mercedes by candlelight.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika Greiner View Post
Years ago I had a young guy working for me, he asked me where I am from, I replied from Germany. He then asked me if we have electricity there, I replied no we build Mercedes by candlelight.
Good example of what people are saying………..

Tags
bubble, part, made, workers, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.