Where are the BIRDS?

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2022, 06:19 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,305 Times in 563 Posts

Cats … Cats are one of the biggest problems birds have.. they take care of the bird poop problem ( bird seed attracts mice & rats) Storage of bird seed should be in a rat proof container
Old 07-17-2022, 06:22 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
Black birds leave here around the middle of June and come back about December. I have also noticed a lack of birds lately and was curious. My bird feeder which needs to be filled 2x a day in the winter, now goes days without having to be refilled. I take it in at night and surprise....no mice!!
Thanks for a (finally) direct response to my question rather than the naysayer rsps.

As I said we have had bird feeder and birdhouse for eight years here. The birds always enjoyed the seeds and occupied the house compartments and bred. Never had a single issue re rodents or birds chirping “don’t feed me it’s against the law”.

I simply do not recall in prior summers birds migrating to a noticeable degree. I guess they are, although I did notice four small sparrow like birds on the feeder yesterday. Perhaps from a recent brood, left the birdhouse in back a few weeks ago.

Also there seems to be far less Sandhill cranes around. More migration I guess.

Perhaps the “Snowbird” thing applies to them too.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:24 AM

Michael G you are incorrect about the law. You are allow to feed birds. There are certain animals you are not allow like alligators.
Old 07-17-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
We have a nice bird feeder out front and a triple/decker birdhouse in the back. Love birds.

On a typical day we see a bunch of different birds at the feeder, and need to refill about every other day. The birdhouse has had 3 broods since early Spring. 2 chicks each in each of the 3 “apartments”. They all of course flew the coop. Little sparrow-like birds. The feeder attracts all types.

But for the last 10 days or so no action at all. No little birds going to the house, and I have seen NO birds at our feeder. And very few birds flying around at all.

Is it the heat or time of year??? Where are the birds?
I am sure the info you get on this site will be worth your time to follow????
Old 07-17-2022, 07:19 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,200 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjelenbaas View Post
I am sure the info you get on this site will be worth your time to follow????
Of course. I enjoy and thrive on valid input from all sources. That said I have learned quite a bit from information shared on TOTV.

I try to be positive and open during conversations here. But, must say, the typical naysayers and quick-to-judge responses are irritating and time-wasting. As the one above.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Bird feeder

Quote:
Thanks for a (finally) direct response to my question rather than the naysayer rsps.

As I said we have had bird feeder and birdhouse for eight years here. The birds always enjoyed the seeds and occupied the house compartments and bred. Never had a single issue re rodents or birds chirping “don’t feed me it’s against the law”.

I simply do not recall in prior summers birds migrating to a noticeable degree. I guess they are, although I did notice four small sparrow like birds on the feeder yesterday. Perhaps from a recent brood, left the birdhouse in back a few weeks ago.

Also there seems to be far less Sandhill cranes around. More migration I guess.

Perhaps the “Snowbird” thing applies to them too.
Yes another bird feeder in an area where birds have an endless supply of natural food provided by nature. Attracting birds to sit on your neighbors house and any outside items, depositing poop on said items. Making your neighbors have to hose off the chairs, grill, etc regularly is definitely the neighborly thing to do. NOT. I enjoy pretty birds as much as anyone but don't want them messing all over my home and accessories. Think binoculars and nature trails and the exercise and health benefits that will provide. Oh and the rodents visit at night not when you're watching.
Old 07-17-2022, 07:40 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I'm in the opinion that your neighbors are loving your bird feeders in some alternative universe.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekessler View Post
Does anyone have martin houses in The Villages? Do they live here? They keep your place free from mosquitos.
That is actually a myth going back 60+ years.
For many years people were putting up houses for Purple Martins and Bluebirds believing these birds ate mosquitoes. In Minnesota they did a study and it was shown Martin's and bluebirds actually ate some mosquitos but not more than any other bird, and not in enough quantity to make a difference. What was discovered was Martin's and bluebirds preyed heavily on dragonflies. Dragonflies are the biggest predator of a mosquito. What people were actually doing is killing the natural predator of the mosquito and making the situation worse.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyP View Post
Michael G you are incorrect about the law. You are allow to feed birds. There are certain animals you are not allow like alligators.
So....if someone were to stake his neighbor's yippy yappy poodle out by the pond, would that be considered feeding an alligator? Asking for a friend.........
Old 07-17-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
We have a nice bird feeder out front and a triple/decker birdhouse in the back. Love birds.

On a typical day we see a bunch of different birds at the feeder, and need to refill about every other day. The birdhouse has had 3 broods since early Spring. 2 chicks each in each of the 3 “apartments”. They all of course flew the coop. Little sparrow-like birds. The feeder attracts all types.

But for the last 10 days or so no action at all. No little birds going to the house, and I have seen NO birds at our feeder. And very few birds flying around at all.

Is it the heat or time of year??? Where are the birds?
They are “Snow Birds” and went by north.
Old 07-17-2022, 08:40 AM

Do not feed the Birds. There have a duty. Pollinate the Blossoms so we can have Fruits , Veggies and flowers . Also take care of insects
Get the yard free of bugs. Do not give the Hummingbirds Sugar Water . They all need natural nutrients.
Old 07-17-2022, 09:50 AM
Default Hard times for all.

Is it the heat or time of year??? Where are the birds?[/QUOTE]

This is a difficult time for everyone, budgets are short, people are getting their proteins from unusual sources.

Those little ones are tough to catch too.
Old 07-17-2022, 10:57 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

A neighbor down the street was feeding the birds, he ended up with roof rats , and was unaware until another neighbor had them as well.
Old 07-17-2022, 04:17 PM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monika Greiner View Post
Do not feed the Birds. There have a duty. Pollinate the Blossoms so we can have Fruits , Veggies and flowers . Also take care of insects
Get the yard free of bugs. Do not give the Hummingbirds Sugar Water . They all need natural nutrients.
Does anyone here have hummingbird feeders. I haven't seen any in TV...

Old 07-17-2022, 04:54 PM

Everything is against the law. Bird feeding too????? We are doomed
Closed Thread

Tags
birds, feeder, day, birdhouse, sparrow-like

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.