Where is the political forum? (deserves it's own thread!!)

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Speak to Mark Morse, maybe he'll rent out some corners with soap boxes where the lonely political pundits can make their speaches.
I like to think outside the box.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post

It is the admin's prerogative to offer, or not offer, a political forum.
Absolutely, it is the Admin's prerogative whether or not to offer a Political Forum. They own TOTV, and obviously they were finding it unworkable.

The previous Owners found that politics were seeping into daily discussions on TOTV. So they created a Political Forum that you had to JOIN, to keep political comments separate from the rest of the website. Presumably those people who joined the Political Forum and found the comments distasteful would opt out.

In an election year, I fear that now political comments will seep back into the main part of the website. And that will lead to bannings. Oh well, c'est la vie.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Ambience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Just a guess, but maybe the "ambience" of the Political Forum was starting to negatively influence the rest of the forums. One way to find out is to suspend the Political Forum.
The ambience there was that of a bar room brawl..You could see the sawdust and empty beer cans all over the place...Pitiful...
Old 08-16-2012, 01:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rp001 View Post
The ambience there was that of a bar room brawl..You could see the sawdust and empty beer cans all over the place...Pitiful...
I would liken it more to a couple of snakes biting and spitting venom 30 feet across the room.

Whenever people take the position that "my party/candidate can do no wrong" and "the other party/candidate has never done a single thing right", there is no exchange of ideas nor learning.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

I haven't missed it!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:45 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

The inherent problem with political forums in general is, everyone who frequents them is passionate about their beliefs, otherwise they would not be there, or would quickly leave. People who are open to differing opinions and ideas are likely not to stay long when they see the level of intolerance of others' thoughts. I have been on a few other political forums over the years and they are all the same - basically the same people, different names. In fact, this one is actually the tamest I have encountered.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Platinum member

I don't like talking politics. My family is WAY too argumentative and opinionated when it comes to politics. Soooo, I avoid it. I also NEVER (to my knowledge) went into the political forum here. But, I do find it a little odd that those that WANT to partake in this type of lively discussion should be able to do so. If they can't do it here on TOTV...there are many, many other political forums to join.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:41 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Email Reported As Spam

From the inception of this country politics has always been very agrumentative, down right nasty with name calling etc. To wit the new TNT limited series entitled "Political Animals". Given the fact that the only places I see the masses "passive" are in dictatorships,

In my Italian family we were required to discuss politics and religion it was debating cooking recipes that got you into trouble. Well I can handle bitter disagreement and some name calling..... Gosh its only politics not personal
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I haven't missed it!
I never had the desire to go to the political forum so I don't miss it either.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 08-16-2012, 02:55 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
I deleted my post before i read yours
Old 08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
Veteran member

Just a thought....do you think it could have anything to do with Paul Ryan's visit on Saturday?

Secret Service...Airport Security...could we be under any kind of surveilence?

No conspiracy theory here....just a thought.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:33 PM
Veteran member

Without the Political Forum everything on this site has turned into beige, flavorless, inane, chatter inside the bubble. Will miss the righteous outrage. Is there a religious or sex forum? You know, part of the trinity of subjects your mother said you should not talk about in polite company. Thanks mother.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I would liken it more to a couple of snakes biting and spitting venom 30 feet across the room.

Whenever people take the position that "my party/candidate can do no wrong" and "the other party/candidate has never done a single thing right", there is no exchange of ideas nor learning.

You are so correct.

I would think that a person would behave in such a way as to make what they believe something to admire. And in so doing make people want to believe in their political views and vote for the person they think is best..

I stopped reading that forum because many of the people who were "for" someone I intended to vote for made me rethink the whole thing. They were ugly, and uncaring, and not for ANYONE's good at all. They made me literally sick to my stomach. I wonder what they are like to live with.

Because I did not accept every tenet of the political party which they belonged to, I was completely wrong. There wasn't an element of decision making that I could tell, either you accepted the whole deal or you were unworthy to be whatever it was that they are. There is NO moderation in their thinking and no listening and no learning. There is only hatred.

The silent majority do not see things the way that the most outspoken see them on that forum. And I am saying that BOTH sides were equally as bad.

When we enter the ballot box, we are alone. The maker gave us a mind to see the big picture.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
I went in the Political site daily and posted almost everyday, but that said, considering the tone, lack of civility and down right insults thrown back and fourth, I FEEL ADMIN DID THE RIGHT THING, and would be fine if it never comes back.

Thats all I got to say about that.
better that the political forum returns and the lack of civility and insults do not!

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.