Where were you on 9/11

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage
Default Where were you on 9/11

We were on our boat @ Ortega River Marina-Jacksonville, Fl--was walking to the heads/ showers & heard some reporting on the marina loudspeakers-once I figured out what was happening -went back to our boat--woke the Admiral & said "something big is happening" put all the TV's on

Next day went to NAS/JAX & said "take mew off the retired list' was told I was too old

Few weeks later went to the Navy ball @ NAS/JAX--most moving event of my
life--see the young officers male/female in dinner dress raising their glasses in a salute to the fallen.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:50 PM
Veteran member

I was driving between two Honda plants in Ohio. When I got back to my office they had shut down all Internet access.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

I was in our morning partner's meeting and the TV had the first tower burning and that there was some sort of crash----didn't look like a small prop plane damage to me. Then we saw the second tower hit and had the awful realization that this was an attack. My son was in the air flying TO Boston at that time and was immediately diverted to land in Indianapolis. My brother and nephew both were working in Manhattan, visited the World Trade Center often and we couldn't get any communication about them (they were OK). One of our bridesmaids father worked in the #7 building and a jumper missed landing on him by 4 feet---he's hasn't been the same since. Two of my high school friends from a small graduating class of 99 died that day, a trader for Canter-Fitzgerald and a NYC firefighter. Another friend here in central NY, a drug rep for Pfizer, was married to a Quantas airline executive. He had dropped her off at Logan and drove down the Mass. Pike to Auburn to visit family. She was on the second plane, he heard the flight number while driving.
That afternoon we were to have our final twilight golf league scramble, which we discussed cancelling. The chairman and I stood up and spoke, expressing the opinion that if we cancel, if we change our way of life for these (fill in the blank), then THEY will have won. We dedicated our play to the memory of those who perished
So, if from time to time I might express extremely harsh views about ISLAMIC terrorists and anyone who makes excuses for them, I apologize, but I think I have better reasons than most, except for the victims and their families.
Remember the victims, NEVER FORGET, and God bless America
Old 09-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Veteran member

I was working at the State Dept building in Washington. We watched it on the TV monitors throughout the building. Soon after they evacuated us but didn't tell us why, later heard a rumor that they were afraid the SD building would be targeted. They never told us to go home for the day, just told us to leave the building. So we waited outside for an hour and then just decided to go home. Many people left the building without their belongings and coats. Lucky for me, I brought my purse out with me or I would not have been able to get home without money and my house keys.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:14 PM
Veteran member

We were at Madame Tussaud's in London, when a security guard told us that planes were flown into the White House, the Empire State Building, and The Pentagon. We couldn't get out for 6 days, and only had reservations for 2. The Melia White House told us we could stay there for 80% off our original price, and threw in a full breakfast everyday. To this day, we always try to stay at a Melia hotel when their available.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:24 PM
Platinum member
Default Whejre was I?

Between customer stops on my route. Called my wife and told her to turn the tv on.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,157 Times in 2,251 Posts

I was coming back from a meeting, met a supervisor in the hallway and he told me to go home our 22 story building (tallest in Allentown PA) was being evacuated and all employees were being told to go home. Got home about 10 minutes before the second plane struck. WILL NEVER FORGET TO IMAGE I SAW LIVE ON TV.

I was on vacation (planned) for the next several days, and our house was in the landing path for ABE (Lehigh Valley International Airport), and I was working on a project in the backyard, NO PLANES were flying. It was several days before I heard and saw a plane, and I will not forget that eerie feeling.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Veteran member

I was at work. A guy a couple offices down heard something about a plane hitting a building in New York, pulled out a small TV and the word went out from there. Not a lot of work got done that day.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:10 PM
Gold member

I was sitting at my desk in the US Capitol when the first and second plane hit the towers. When the plane hit the Pentagon, my boss called and said "get out" and hung up. Luckily, I had put my keys, purse and sunglasses on my desk when the first plane hit. I picked them up and ran down the backstairs of the Capitol.

I will never forget standing on the grassy area between the Capitol and the Supreme Court. It was a bright, sunny day and some of my co-workers took pictures of the Capitol because they thought it might be the last time they would see it. Then, the police started screaming over and over again "run, run, they are going to shoot it down". They meant the plane that went down in Pennsylvania. A co-worker's husband took me to their car and we stayed several hours watching TV in his bosses home a few blocks from the Capitol.

When the police finally let me get my car off the Capitol grounds, I began my drive home. The DC streets were eerily empty. The Pentagon was still smoldering when I drove by. I soon found out that a member of my church was in the Pentagon when the plane hit his office. The only reason he is alive is because he was in the bathroom but he still was horribly burned. He wrote a book (Refined by Fire) about his experience.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

was in a Telemetry Data Station checking out some new calculations and displays for an upcoming test. Our Contractor came in and told us about two planes flying into WTC. Watched rest on a monitor we used for TV. The Station was on lock down, so could not leave until much later. Saw the towers fall, and the explosion at the Pentagon, were not sure if aircraft or bomb. Some people from The Test Center were killed in the attack.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:45 PM
Sage
Default Where were you on 9/11

I was just finishing a consulting engagement outside of Boston and was driving to Logan Airport to catch a flight home. On the way in I heard about the first tower being hit. I pulled over and listened some more. Instead of continuing to the airport I called 2 colleagues working just outside of New York. They related that tower 2 had just been hit.
When I heard that I called my secretary and told her to call Hertz and let them know I was keeping the car. I drove to NY, picked up my friends and we drove back to Nashville. Hertz told my secretary to tell us to be careful and take out time.

We returned the car to Hertz at the BNA airport 2 days later. The agent said he was glad to see us. And Hertz never billed us for use of their car on that trip.

The highways were quiet and mostly absent of traffic except for military vehicles. Very spooky.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:05 PM
Sage

About 40 miles away, on Long Island.
Had several members of the family we were tracking to see if they were ok, one was a fireman called to the site.

All was ok with them but a very trying few days.

Another good friend was a Vet asked to go downtown to treat the search dogs.
Many had foot pad injuries.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Gold member

I was in Manhattan on a contract with HBO and saw it all. was alerted by a scream from a co-worker whose husband was vaporized by the first plane to hit. we stood around numb until the second and then spent nine hours getting out of the city. the horrible images are burned into my psyche for the rest of my life.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:15 PM
deestatham
Default 9/11

I was home waiting for a phone call. Finally received the call that my 32 yr. Old cousin was indeed killed in tower 2. It was an awful day and our family has never totally recovered. His son was 1 yr old. All grown up now but never will know his father.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:20 PM

I was on 14th street and 8th ave. in Manhattan. After the first plane hit we went to the roof of our construction project and witnessed the rest of the horror.

Tags
happening, ball, navy, weeks, retired, mew, list, told, nas/jax--most, raising, dress, glasses, fallen, salute, dinner, male/female, event, life--see, officers, young, moving, heads, walking, showers, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.