Where were you on 9/11

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2015, 08:19 PM

Mystic Island, NJ. 90 miles South of Manhattan. On vacation that week. Drinking coffee, watching TV, and planning to take our boat out. I remember every second. God bless America.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Default Didn't go to work.

While getting ready for work, I was listening to the Today Show. I was in shock watching what was happening, especially when the second plane hit. I decided I couldn't go to work, I was just too afraid. I worked at the State government's main complex in Albany, NY. I worked underground, directly under the tallest building in the city, named the "Tower Building". There was no way I was going to work. I watched the tragic events all day long.
I will never forget, nor forgive.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:46 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Alerted to turn on the TV in my office, I watch in astonishment the smoke and flames coming from the first tower. As a pilot, I could not understand how an aircraft could hit it on such a beautiful day. After the second plane hit the other tower, other local Red Cross members and I were all activated. A local girl, Alicia Titus was a flight attendant on United Airlines Flight 175 which was flown into the South Tower.

The Urbana Rotary Club established a Freedom Grove park on the south side of Urbana which now has a steel beam from one of the towers. I flew my Piper Cub over the park today to take aerial pictures of the 750 flags that will highlight this year’s 9/11 memorial event.

News - WTC Memorial Dedication September 11 at Freedom Grove
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	freedom2.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	54759  
Old 09-10-2015, 09:00 PM

So many of you have suffered so much. My heart goes out to you.

My story is more mundane. I worked in the Twin Cities of Minnesota. I was listening to the radio on my way in to work. It was a beautiful fall day. The announcers broke in with the reports of a plane flying into the Twin Towers. In just a few moments the announcers panicked, stating there was another plane, and we were being attacked.

I flew into the building, and all the young architects turned to look at me. I told them what had happened. I could see the disbelief in their eyes.

A few hours later the boss came in. I could see he knew. I stated: They hit the Pentagon. His face turned white, and he went into his office.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Sage

Dodge City, Kansas Liberty Garden:

(My wife on phone in background of 2nd pic)

Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010170.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	915.9 KB
ID:	54760   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010171.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	54761   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010174.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	54762   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010177.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	54763   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010180.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	957.3 KB
ID:	54764  

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 09-10-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 11:12 PM

i was 1 block away from the WTC and in lockdown due to the attack... I watched people die and and watched people jump from the buildings. i went to 18 funerals....
I WILL NEVER FORGET
Old 09-11-2015, 12:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop285 View Post
i was 1 block away from the WTC and in lockdown due to the attack... I watched people die and and watched people jump from the buildings. i went to 18 funerals....
I WILL NEVER FORGET
Nor should you or any of us.
Every 9/11 my wife and I put out a small table with a yellow rose in a vase, a candle that burns all night, and an 18 inch American flag in memory of those 3,000 innocent victims. Next year, when we are full time in TV, we WILL do the same. Given my feelings I already posted about that day and those who perpetrated that heinous crime, God help the self-appointed neighborhood to neighborhood 8 inch garden gnome police informant or anyone else who mentions "deed compliance" NEVER FORGET.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

I was probably bugging people on my computer about getting practical materials in libraries for survivors/victims of crimes in my 224 613 Project.

I later went into volunteer at the East Lake Community Library, Palm Harbor, Florida from around 3-5 or so and talked about this horrible crime with the still in shock new Library Director there Manny Leite. Nice man by in large who got along great with the teens who would come in after school.

I volunteered Mondays and Tuesdays back then at East Lake Community Library as well as Palm Harbor Library on Saturday afternoons. I was trying to get my foot in the door for gainful employment in a library in that area. Had a lot of interviews and was very careful with each one, but never got hired.

I am still fighting for better access to practical materials for survivors/victims of crimes accessible through or in libraries but have been doing this mainly now on Facebook where I can share documents related to the 224 613 Project.

My older brother Robert I believe knew some of the people who worked in the Twin Towers. I do not know anyone who worked in those Towers as far as I am aware.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-11-2015 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Gold member

I was at work on Long Island about 40 miles away. Specifically I was in my supervisors's office discussing my use of a comma in a procedure I had written. A "comma" REALLY??How absurd compared to what tragedy was happening in the real word. It kinda gave me a new perspective on what really matters in life. Never forgive--never forget.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM
Eternal Member

Jill Sherman, Daily Sun, was at my house to take pictures of me for the paper. She was doing an article for the Sun on blondes. Very hard to focus while the photographer was taking my picture.
It did turn out to be a great article and picture.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

I was getting ready to head to an account just south of downtown Chicago. Someone called me to turn on the tv. That call changed me forever. This picture represents what we all are doing today.

uploadfromtaptalk1441985086627-jpg
Old 09-11-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran member

My husband and I worked in the telephone company building directly across the street from the Trade Center. When the first plane hit, they evacuated our building. I went downstairs and outside and saw the hole in the tower. People were saying that a plane had deliberately struck the tower. I didn't believe it at first, but I was at ground level when the second plane hit. It was the loudest noise I have ever heard. I hadn't found my husband yet in all the chaos, so I couldn't leave the city. People were falling from the tower and it was just awful. I finally found my husband and we got out but I will never forget.
Closed Thread

Tags
happening, ball, navy, weeks, retired, mew, list, told, nas/jax--most, raising, dress, glasses, fallen, salute, dinner, male/female, event, life--see, officers, young, moving, heads, walking, showers, heard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.