Where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
My Take on Today’s Economic Impact on Those Now Working, Many Without Benefits and at Low Pay — Thinking of Timelines and Percentages:

As an early Boomer, I would never assume to have the right to lecture adults far younger than me about the current economics of the everyday lives of hardworking people. It’s an apples to oranges thing.

May I invite those among us who are early Boomers and beyond to “Return with me now to those thrilling days of yesteryear.” (At our age, you picked up on that allusion. )

In our age group, we remember when we never really had to give much, if any, thought to healthcare costs. In fact, I had a shoebox where I kept receipts for prescription drugs that we had paid for and then, after quite a while, sent them to the insurance company for reimbursement.

Then came the drug card — the Trojan Horse. People loved flashing that plastic. Meanwhile, Big Pharma could just keep on raising prices, behind the scenes, while the consumer was “happy” with the convenience and no “cost” with the drug card. Now, drug prices are out of control, even some old generics. (Please spare me the old line about research and the pipeline. Yeah. I know. And while, of course, drug companies should be innovating and moving ahead, that is not the whole picture — just the old company line.)

And as far as the overall costs of health insurance coverage goes — premiums, OP, etc., look up the stock price, including the 52-week high and low, of UNH (United Healthcare). Lots of money has been made by stockholders, and, of course, CEOs while the little people foot the bills for all that profit. Doctors now, too often, must fall under the control of the contracted insurance companies, rather than being able to practice medicine as they want and know how to do. (And please spare me from being called a commie pinko or some such thing. I have a comfort level with owning stocks. But I choose them myself. I refuse to own stock in an insurance company because I do not want to own a piece of people not being able to afford or get what they need while huge profits are being made. I can find other stocks to buy.)

My point, one of them anyway, is that the percentage of income that must be paid for healthcare coverage by those a generation behind us is far beyond what we had to pay in our working years. Healthcare is a mess and I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. But nobody wants to work on middle-ground answers anymore.

Another ridiculous percentage cost is the percentage of family income that a college education costs now. Young people often have to begin their adult lives saddled with mind-boggling debt, even if they work along the way. I think my entire first year of college was less than $1500. Of course, that was a long time ago, but even so, that amount was not an impossible, overwhelming percentage of my family’s income, and it was an amount of money that it was actually possible for students to make a dent in by working and saving for along the way. I find today’s college costs to be an obscenity, especially when looked at as a percentage of a working family’s income.

The other thing that is happening more and more, to those younger than us, is that companies are “downsizing” with an all too obvious hit on their older employees who are likely to be costing the company more in salary. Actually, this started before now, but an awareness of age-discrimination once seemed to be given a little more thought — not always but sometimes. Now it seems like open season. Too many stories around of those being hit in their highest earning years but before eligibility for SS and Medicare and at an age making it far more difficult to find a good job with benefits.

Therefore, my fellow elder-Boomers and Beyond, I am just saying that before going into that monotonous lecture mode like Charlie Brown’s teacher (remember that, “Wah. Wah. Wah.” thing) I think we need to stop and think about where we have been in this country’s timeline. We knew the days when middle class was the backbone of this country, built this country. We are losing our middle class, the backbone is breaking under ridiculous, impossible percentage-of-income costs of things we took for granted.

EPIC...and dead-on!
Old 08-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,938 Times in 2,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I'm willing to bet...that you are incorrect.

Do you have any proof that teachers from anywhere, or public employees (except MAYBE a few who had obscene amounts of OT count toward their pensions)...are collecting 6 figure pensions?

Will be waiting patiently for that proof.
I worked 49 years and 40 for federal government, my pension is now where near 100K year. But. I wasn’t officer or GS, now there retirement probably is close or above 6 figures. Depending on state teachers can get 80% or more annual pay if the got the years in. Unless they were superintendents I doubt there over 6 figures.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Workforce housing will be built behind Lowes on 466A and on the Beaumont property next to Lowes. A good start, but more is needed.
There is a labor shortage in every industry, nationwide. The only answer is immigration. We need to develop a LEGAL way to bring in the people who want to work. Where else will we find the landscapers, the CNAs, the housekeepers, the waiters, and those who will take care of us, and also pay taxes into the system.There is legal way, and has been for 100 years. the problem is all the illegal line jumpers
America has a big problem with homeless in big cities. (LA is abhor-able). I would imagine some of those people could become employed with the many jobs that are available with this labor shortage in every industry. I don't understand why we need immigrants to fill these jobs when we have so many homeless people who are able to do it. I would imagine many homeless don't want to work but that is another thread. Maybe I'm not understanding the big picture.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

I agree with Boomer. Had a long post explaining why, but that never works out well. So - I agree with Boomer. Full stop.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I agree with Boomer. Had a long post explaining why, but that never works out well. So - I agree with Boomer. Full stop.
So do I, and I don't agree with coffeebean that all (or even most) homeless people could work. Many years ago states closed their mental institutions and emptied those folks out into the street. Then there are the unfortunate disabled and addicted.

People our age who claim they worked and put themselves through school, etc., are ignoring the fact that it is just not the same economic society today as it was when we were in our twenties. The reasons being, see Boomer's post.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
So do I, and I don't agree with coffeebean that all (or even most) homeless people could work. Many years ago states closed their mental institutions and emptied those folks out into the street. Then there are the unfortunate disabled and addicted.

People our age who claim they worked and put themselves through school, etc., are ignoring the fact that it is just not the same economic society today as it was when we were in our twenties. The reasons being, see Boomer's post.
BINGO!!

It's kind of amazing to see the arrogance/ignorance/naiveté it takes, to even think, much less publicly say, that the situation/conditions today are even close ...to how it was 50 years ago.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
BINGO!!

It's kind of amazing to see the arrogance/ignorance/naiveté it takes, to even think, much less publicly say, that the situation/conditions today are even close ...to how it was 50 years ago.

It was worse fifty years ago. Many of us had no money for college and made successful lives by the sweat of our brow and then brains as we watched, learned and showed up willing to work.

What I see now are two children families in which the children are pampered, overprotected and not very intelligent in real life situations even after completing college.

A young woman was being interviewed on tv about her college debt. She said she was going to graduate with honors in May and just realized in mid April she was $50,000. in debt. Huh? She also stated she would have to give up her dream job and get a different job to pay her bills. When questioned about her dream job, she stated it was registering voters. The interviewer quickly ended the interview.

A young man hired for a construction job after a recommendation from a shop teacher quit after 2 days stating he didn’t want to work that hard. We’re raising a lot of cupcakes that still live at home with Mommie and Daddy because they want new cars and want to start out with everything.

People who legally immigrate into this country with barely anything manage to educate themselves, create good lives and aren’t afraid of very hard work because it’s still better than from where they came.

We’ve become a country of we can’t vs we will.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
America has a big problem with homeless in big cities. (LA is abhor-able). I would imagine some of those people could become employed with the many jobs that are available with this labor shortage in every industry. I don't understand why we need immigrants to fill these jobs when we have so many homeless people who are able to do it. I would imagine many homeless don't want to work but that is another thread. Maybe I'm not understanding the big picture.
Quoting myself here......I did say "some" of those people......... and I stand by what I said. I know many of the homeless are drug addicted, physically and mentally disabled. I was not referring to these people. There are people, however, who are able to work but just don't want to work.
Old 08-17-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
It was worse fifty years ago. Many of us had no money for college and made successful lives by the sweat of our brow and then brains as we watched, learned and showed up willing to work.

What I see now are two children families in which the children are pampered, overprotected and not very intelligent in real life situations even after completing college.

A young woman was being interviewed on tv about her college debt. She said she was going to graduate with honors in May and just realized in mid April she was $50,000. in debt. Huh? She also stated she would have to give up her dream job and get a different job to pay her bills. When questioned about her dream job, she stated it was registering voters. The interviewer quickly ended the interview.

A young man hired for a construction job after a recommendation from a shop teacher quit after 2 days stating he didn’t want to work that hard. We’re raising a lot of cupcakes that still live at home with Mommie and Daddy because they want new cars and want to start out with everything.

People who legally immigrate into this country with barely anything manage to educate themselves, create good lives and aren’t afraid of very hard work because it’s still better than from where they came.

We’ve become a country of we can’t vs we will.
May I add another?

"...why should I..."
Old 08-17-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I took issue when Jazuela used the term "entitled horse plucky".

What I was trying to say to Jazuela is that she doesn't even live here yet and she hasn't yet had more than a month of "boots on the ground" ability to accurately access this situation here in The Villages. The Villages is unique in that most people who live here do not care how much or how little money a person has or what anyone did in a past life. Most people who live here came from what today would be called "poor" and most of them could not afford to educate themselves past high school, so that MOST of the people arrived in this lovely place with experience of living carefully, many working long hours and two jobs and saving small amounts and investing wisely in real estate they probably lived in. I think they would be amused to be described as entitled, although many have achieved great things and some huge fortunes. That is what I am trying to say. I see your term "entitled" and raise you the term 'successful, formerly poor people.'

My argument is that this place will continue to grow as it has done, where residents buy from businesses staffed by people who come here to find work and the market will dictate the terms. Pay here is lower than it is on both coasts and the cost of living is too.

What is your source of information regarding your comment or is this just your opinion based only upon what you think and nothing factual?

I have found just the opposite in those whom I have met. They are well educated and while they may not have grown up in this world with wealth, most of them were definitely low middle to middle class and far from anything that could be considered poor.

Those who live here are no different or unique than people in any other town or community. I'm sure we have our handful of those who are entitled as sure as I am that there are probably some who have worked their way up out of poverty.

Just because someone lives here doesn't mean they can "accurately" assess a situation any better than someone else. In the case of Jazuela, she is pretty hip regarding things here judging from her many comments on many different subjects. While I do not necessarily always agree with her, I find most of her opinions and comments to not be off-the-wall or exaggerated.
Old 08-17-2019, 08:49 PM
Platinum member

I agree with Boomer 100% and I want to add young people also must put away substantial savings toward their own 401k and can not rely on a company issued pension...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 PM
Platinum member

And pay all out of pocket for health care once they retire in Wisconsin...

Old 08-17-2019, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
What is your source of information regarding your comment or is this just your opinion based only upon what you think and nothing factual?

I have found just the opposite in those whom I have met. They are well educated and while they may not have grown up in this world with wealth, most of them were definitely low middle to middle class and far from anything that could be considered poor.

Those who live here are no different or unique than people in any other town or community. I'm sure we have our handful of those who are entitled as sure as I am that there are probably some who have worked their way up out of poverty.

Just because someone lives here doesn't mean they can "accurately" assess a situation any better than someone else. In the case of Jazuela, she is pretty hip regarding things here judging from her many comments on many different subjects. While I do not necessarily always agree with her, I find most of her opinions and comments to not be off-the-wall or exaggerated.
Thanks. Also you don't need to live in any particular area, to have a basic understanding of economics, demographics, marketing, or human resources. Experience in all of these things helps, so does formal and informal education on the subject matter. Currently experiencing the work world as an actual working person would also tend to qualify someone as having some understanding of the current work world, over someone who hasn't worked in it for over a dozen years. Maybe just by a pinch.
Old 08-17-2019, 09:09 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
And pay all out of pocket for health care once they retire in Wisconsin...

I believe that would depend on your supplemental insurance coverage you elect upon retirement in Wisconsin.

There is a savyness one develops after living in The Villages 15 years ago vs a newbie. And I do believe some people here continue to manage their business even though they have been formally retired, therefore, may have an even better grasp of workforce potential than someone jumping from job to job.

Last edited by Aces4; 08-17-2019 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Thanks. Also you don't need to live in any particular area, to have a basic understanding of economics, demographics, marketing, or human resources. Experience in all of these things helps, so does formal and informal education on the subject matter. Currently experiencing the work world as an actual working person would also tend to qualify someone as having some understanding of the current work world, over someone who hasn't worked in it for over a dozen years. Maybe just by a pinch.
How does one access a persons ability to understand demographics, marketing, economics, human resources? Some people would say that not having to work today may be a good indicator of their successful understanding of the world of business. Living a satisfying life with friends and family and travel might be another. Most people here are not college educated but do not think that they are not intelligent and well read and very up on things and successful by most criteria..

The Villages is different than many other places in this world with similar demographics. It is a successful small city run as a successful private business. It is a triumph of capitalism by a family who is not at all attempting to look important or chic or powerful.

One of the very hallmarks of this place is it's lack of pretense by most people. Many, many people could live in much more expensive homes than they do. Most people do not care how much or how little their friends have. At the square a bus driver will spend the evening with the CEO of a large company and both may not notice the difference between them, but more than that each has a lovely time. Yes.

I say this. MOST people who live here in The Villages who are in their seventies came from not much money. Sometimes NO car in their youth. The majority of these seventy year olds who live here could not afford college or dance lessons or piano lessons when they were young. They still live carefully and do not come close to spending themselves out. Living off another or the charity of another is a terrible thought to them. They won't be doing go fund me's even if they are in dire need.

There are those who are exceptions, but I think that The Villages is a wonderful place because of it wealth of hard working people who come here to live like millionaires with quite a few who have become millionaires. But they aren't telling.

Tags
businesses, work, sufficient, current, staff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.