Where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in TV?

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2019, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Would love to see some type of proof or facts, that even MOST Villagers...came from 'poor' backgrounds.

Broad-brush statements can be made by anyone with just an opinion and an agenda (and make proclamations, pretending to speak for MOST others), but require actual proof...to have even a scintilla of credibility.

It's boring at best, completely deceiving at worst, having someone drone on about how their anecdotal experiences...somehow apply to most other people.
Old 08-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Sage

For many people, having to put away money in a 401K has been a necessity since the mid 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I agree with Boomer 100% and I want to add young people also must put away substantial savings toward their own 401k and can not rely on a company issued pension...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 AM
Sage

After looking @ turnouts for college colors, there seem to be lots of villagers who attended fairly expensive colleges,
Old 08-18-2019, 06:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,798 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
After looking @ turnouts for college colors, there seem to be lots of villagers who attended fairly expensive colleges,
Many of those are the college colors of their children or grandchildren, not their parents or they support their state colleges.
Old 08-18-2019, 06:45 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Would love to see some type of proof or facts, that even MOST Villagers...came from 'poor' backgrounds.

Broad-brush statements can be made by anyone with just an opinion and an agenda (and make proclamations, pretending to speak for MOST others), but require actual proof...to have even a scintilla of credibility.

It's boring at best, completely deceiving at worst, having someone drone on about how their anecdotal experiences...somehow apply to most other people.

I agree with Gracie. The incivility on this forum makes me wonder how many here have any education.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Many of those are the college colors of their children or grandchildren, not their parents or they support their state colleges.
If I had to show my children and grands college colors it would cover my entire home. It would include 12 institutions. If I am flying a flag or paint my cart, it because we attended, not on the accomplishments of others
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
If I had to show my children and grands college colors it would cover my entire home. It would include 12 institutions. If I am flying a flag or paint my cart, it because we attended, not on the accomplishments of others
You were one of the privileged, congrats. Not all of us were that fortunate but even without a college education, I would never call grandparents celebrating and following their grandchildren’s college football games as riding on the accomplishments of others. Not all families are as huge as yours, apparently.

Sometimes i’m very grateful I don’t have a degree.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
How does one access a persons ability to understand demographics, marketing, economics, human resources? Some people would say that not having to work today may be a good indicator of their successful understanding of the world of business. Living a satisfying life with friends and family and travel might be another. Most people here are not college educated but do not think that they are not intelligent and well read and very up on things and successful by most criteria..

The Villages is different than many other places in this world with similar demographics. It is a successful small city run as a successful private business. It is a triumph of capitalism by a family who is not at all attempting to look important or chic or powerful.

One of the very hallmarks of this place is it's lack of pretense by most people. Many, many people could live in much more expensive homes than they do. Most people do not care how much or how little their friends have. At the square a bus driver will spend the evening with the CEO of a large company and both may not notice the difference between them, but more than that each has a lovely time. Yes.

I say this. MOST people who live here in The Villages who are in their seventies came from not much money. Sometimes NO car in their youth. The majority of these seventy year olds who live here could not afford college or dance lessons or piano lessons when they were young. They still live carefully and do not come close to spending themselves out. Living off another or the charity of another is a terrible thought to them. They won't be doing go fund me's even if they are in dire need.

There are those who are exceptions, but I think that The Villages is a wonderful place because of it wealth of hard working people who come here to live like millionaires with quite a few who have become millionaires. But they aren't telling.
So Gracie, tell us all in your infinite wisdom of someone who has lived in the Villages and grew up during a time when a top university cost around $15,000 per year including room and board, when gas was around $30 cents for the "hi-test" and the USO was jitterbugging their way through the war, when there was no minimum wage, but the average weekly paycheck for those men who DID work for a living (since most women did NOT work for a living), covered food, clothing, shelter...where men were the breadwinners and women kept the house clean and her womb full.

where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in the area, in 2019?

In a world where a woman who actually wants to stay home with the kids while dad brings home the bacon is a luxury that most families can't afford, where a year a a top university will cost around $80k or more, where gas continues battling $4/hour, and minimum wage might pay half the rent, and no utilities?
Old 08-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
So Gracie, tell us all in your infinite wisdom of someone who has lived in the Villages and grew up during a time when a top university cost around $15,000 per year including room and board, when gas was around $30 cents for the "hi-test" and the USO was jitterbugging their way through the war, when there was no minimum wage, but the average weekly paycheck for those men who DID work for a living (since most women did NOT work for a living), covered food, clothing, shelter...where men were the breadwinners and women kept the house clean and her womb full.

where will the resources come from to staff all the new businesses in the area, in 2019?

In a world where a woman who actually wants to stay home with the kids while dad brings home the bacon is a luxury that most families can't afford, where a year a a top university will cost around $80k or more, where gas continues battling $4/hour, and minimum wage might pay half the rent, and no utilities?
I was born in 1939. Please see that I was five and not jitterbugging much. My parents lived through the depression AND delayed marrying until they were both thirty and could put a down payment on a home. And of course AT THAT TIME, that meant delayed having children too. (not like today)

The resources to staff all of the new businesses will be drawn by the businesses themselves. A rising tide lifts all ships. People seeking jobs will seek the new businesses.

And this is in answer to those who want to find some statistics on Educational levels in Sumter County and over 65 in the U.S.

education levels attained by residents of sumter county, florida - Bing

education levels attained by americans over 65 - Bing

P.S. Jazuela. I imagine that you attained more than I did? Who can judge the worth and value and wisdom of people? I can't. I sense that "staying home with children" may have some sociological and moral impact on the world and perhaps handing them over as infants to people that we would not trust with our car keys might have some impact on the world too.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-18-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Since we are so far off topic I guess I will jump in.
Back in our day we did not need $10 per pack cigarettes.

We did not need a $50 per month data plan for our $400 smart phone.

$200 sneakers! $100 jeans!?

A new(er) car was never in the equation.

Just to name a few.

Today it takes more than one job to fulfill the wants of individuals. The needs (real needs) are at a whole different level.

Comparing then and now is comparing a grape to a water melon!!
Old 08-18-2019, 10:08 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Since we are so far off topic I guess I will jump in.
Back in our day we did not need $10 per pack cigarettes.

We did not need a $50 per month data plan for our $400 smart phone.

$200 sneakers! $100 jeans!?

A new(er) car was never in the equation.

Just to name a few.

Today it takes more than one job to fulfill the wants of individuals. The needs (real needs) are at a whole different level.

Comparing then and now is comparing a grape to a water melon!!
The real issue is that we didn't need them then and we don't really need them now.

Henry A. Kissinger
Old 08-18-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The resources to staff all of the new businesses will be drawn by the businesses themselves. A rising tide lifts all ships. People seeking jobs will seek the new businesses.
Which people? Where will they live, where will they come from, what will they do when they're not working? Which people will be attracted enough to these jobs, AND qualified to accept them, AND in a financial position to afford them, that these businesses will draw employees?

And don't forget the criteria here, because it's real:

1. Seniors relying on social security must either earn more than their social security check, OR work very few hours. So the jobs need to be either REALLY GOOD high paying full time jobs, OR really crappy low-paying part time jobs, if their target employee is a senior on social security.

2. Non-seniors who are healthy enough to work these jobs, will need health care. If they are being subsidized, then working will immediately cause their premiums to rise, and might disqualify them from any subsidies at all. So if the target potential unemployed person seeking work is someone who qualifies for subsidies, the jobs need to either a) come with comprehensive health care or b) pay enough to cover the employee's full cost of premiums on top of paying the rent/mortgage utility bills taxes etc.

So again: where will these resources - these potential employees come from? Who will they be?
Old 08-18-2019, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Which people? Where will they live, where will they come from, what will they do when they're not working? Which people will be attracted enough to these jobs, AND qualified to accept them, AND in a financial position to afford them, that these businesses will draw employees?

And don't forget the criteria here, because it's real:

1. Seniors relying on social security must either earn more than their social security check, OR work very few hours. So the jobs need to be either REALLY GOOD high paying full time jobs, OR really crappy low-paying part time jobs, if their target employee is a senior on social security.

2. Non-seniors who are healthy enough to work these jobs, will need health care. If they are being subsidized, then working will immediately cause their premiums to rise, and might disqualify them from any subsidies at all. So if the target potential unemployed person seeking work is someone who qualifies for subsidies, the jobs need to either a) come with comprehensive health care or b) pay enough to cover the employee's full cost of premiums on top of paying the rent/mortgage utility bills taxes etc.

So again: where will these resources - these potential employees come from? Who will they be?
You can tell US in five years. OY.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
At it's current level it is very difficult for retail/commercial/restaurants/service companies to get sufficient people to staff the businesses that serve the needs of residents of TV. Now add all the future businesses as TV continues it's expansion South.

There is not sufficient affordable housing. There is a limit to how far folks are willing to drive to get here to work.

One of the negative side effects is compromised selectivity when looking for the best of the best.
Another is that businesses ability to replace currently unacceptable performing employees.

More and more job opportunities to come....insufficient work force to fill the current jobs.

How to attract and maintain "good" help!?!
So then Gracie, your answer to the actual question being asked in the original post - which I've quoted above is:

you don't know. Which is in agreement with me, because I don't think it will be easy to attract "good help" to businesses in the Villages in a market of "the lowest unemployment rates in history" (according to some in the federal government), in an area comprised primarily of senior retirees who have little interest in returning to the work force, in an area with insufficient low income housing to shelter people wanting to enter the work force but needing to support themselves and their families, and not wanting to substitute entitlements for "thoughts and prayers."
Old 08-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Location: Lima,OH;St.Paul,MN;Vallejo,CA;Pennsacola,FL;Fremont,OH,Naperville,IL,Sylvania,OH,Fernandina

Quote:
So then Gracie, your answer to the actual question being asked in the original post - which I've quoted above is:

you don't know. Which is in agreement with me, because I don't think it will be easy to attract "good help" to businesses in the Villages in a market of "the lowest unemployment rates in history" (according to some in the federal government), in an area comprised primarily of senior retirees who have little interest in returning to the work force, in an area with insufficient low income housing to shelter people wanting to enter the work force but needing to support themselves and their families, and not wanting to substitute entitlements for "thoughts and prayers."
Oh, come on! We only have to worry about poor service for another 12 years!

Henry A. Kissinger
Closed Thread

Tags
businesses, work, sufficient, current, staff

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.