"whining" refrigerator

Closed Thread
Old 08-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Default "whining" refrigerator

We just moved into our Lantana and my Whirlpool fridge makes a whining high pitched noise several times daily. I had appliance repair out and they said it is natural due to the new types of refrigerators. Does anyone else have this problem. If they do then maybe the repair person is correct but I have to question the answer I got.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 AM
Gold member

Mine does make noise when making ice. Remember you have a 2 year warranty on your whirlpool appliances. Normally it's only one year, but as I understand that the developer buys such a huge amount, that Whirlpool has agreed to extend the warranty an extra year.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Mine does make noise when making ice. Remember you have a 2 year warranty on your whirlpool appliances. Normally it's only one year, but as I understand that the developer buys such a huge amount, that Whirlpool has agreed to extend the warranty an extra year.
Yep, probably the ice maker.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-09-2014, 10:51 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipatpeanut View Post
We just moved into our Lantana and my Whirlpool fridge makes a whining high pitched noise several times daily. I had appliance repair out and they said it is natural due to the new types of refrigerators. Does anyone else have this problem. If they do then maybe the repair person is correct but I have to question the answer I got.
Check on-line reviews of your model. At our last home, we bought a Whirlpool frig despite numerous reports of annoying noises. The owner's manual even mentioned that some operational sounds are normal. Well, our model had some sort of gear driven mechanism that controlled the cycles (not the ice maker). It whined every few hours. Eventually we ignored it. We moved a few years later, and left it there. We would never buy a Whirlpool again if it was known to make noises.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:32 PM

Did you get the whining refrig that I returned to Costco? No questions asked. I couldn't stand to be in the room with it. It was a high pitch whine all the time. Customer service told me that was normal.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Veteran member

Hated the whirlpool we had with house. Heard the same stories from the repair people. They even said that all refrigerators do this now. Got rid of it and bought an LG.....NO NOISE!!! Quiet !!!!! Have heard similar comments from my neighbors and new friends. If you want quiet get something other than Whirlpool!
Old 08-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,103 Times in 379 Posts

Bought a GE Profile about a year and 1/2 ago and also had noises that were more than I expected. (Note I worked for GE 40 years). Called their rep out several times and they connected a computer to a port on top of the unit. The fridge sets fault codes that the computer can read. No codes found and all was reported well. The repair man said that there were about 7 fans and that what I was hearing was a sound when all were running.
Called several more times while still under warranty, and while still insisting all was well, he installed a sound suppression kit. Apparently, GE was getting complaints and started insulating new builds and decided to supply it to units still under warranty to folks who complained. No recall unless you complain. Still louder than I prefer but better.
Moral, keep complaining while under warranty and ask whether there is any recall notice or factory repair.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Sage

My GE fridge which the builder put in sounds like an Evenrude outboard motor during the night sometimes. I'll never buy another and now I know to stay away from Whirlpool also.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 AM
Veteran member

I have both a new Whirlpool and a new GE refr. They are both noisy. My GE backed up to the master bedroom it was awful, even with the icemaker off.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:16 AM

I have a new LG refrigerator. I wouldn't say it whines, but I can hear a fan blowing after the door has been open for a while.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.